Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: See separation?

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    I had an issue with a 6.5x57AI and Allen Carr did the above to show me excessive head space, it was way out, he had to manufacture and insert some sort of brass collar from memory shot great afterwards. Turkish intermediate length Mauser.
    The Bartlein on this rifle was reamed by Mitch with a brand new standard spec reamer so I would be very surprised if the case problem has arisen from the 'smithing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The Bartlein on this rifle was reamed by Mitch with a brand new standard spec reamer so I would be very surprised if the case problem has arisen from the 'smithing.
    What did Mitch say the cause was ......?

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    What did Mitch say the cause was ......?
    Haven’t talked to him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Don't forget to drill out the primer pocket so that you can easily punch the insert out once measurement taken.
    With such a short amount of neck I found they pull out quite easily, drilling would be a good idea though to be on the safe side.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Lots of great replies here thanks. I’ve been away from home all week and back tomorrow. Then I will read the wisdom and decide what needs to be done.

Gunna ask the most random of questions. Just checking you arent using "brasso" at all. Its worth pointing out from time to time that this leaches the copper out and can cause things like cracking / splitting. Or leaving water based lube in the necks which cause the powder to create glue over time...
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Gunna ask the most random of questions. Just checking you arent using "brasso" at all. Its worth pointing out from time to time that this leaches the copper out and can cause things like cracking / splitting. Or leaving water based lube in the necks which cause the powder to create glue over time...
    No I'm not. Thanks for the thought.

This comes across as a Sizing / Chamber ? issue but could be the choice of powder as the blacking of the neck shows pressure trying to work back around the neck before it has had a decent chance to seal the bore ? . Pressure issues can be the same for low as well as high and if the neck grips the chamber before the body it just may? pull itself apart ? .
    To me the annealing is a side issue , powder and measurements , case usually ,are by far the greater possibility for problems .
    Longranger and Moa Hunter like this.

Thanks everyone. I have started again with new cases.
    As suggested Ive sized a fired case for a slightly firm bolt closure and then sized the new cases to that (the shell holder and bottom of the die had about a 2 mil gap. Previously I had a crush fit between them.

When I have enough 2x fired cases I will anneal as suggested.

Thanks
    Bruce