Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Seven Millimeters, Velocitys and POIs

Seven Millimeters, Velocitys and POIs

Gday fellas,
    late evening at home on the couch just wanted to strike up conversation on this Forum regarding the 7mm 08, The loads, velocitys and Sight in @ 100m Point of Impact, and what purpose the "little Seven" serves you.

I'm loading 139gr hornady interlocks an AR2208 for around 2700fps in a Kimber 84m.

id previously been using 150gr Federal Factory round an look forward to the reloading side of the 708, once I find the right projectile for thee job at hand.

Keen to hear more

Thanks
    Rees

Caretaker
    140g Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2925fps

100 yrd zero

Dial up scope

1000ft/lb of energy @ 600+ yrds
    300Shortmag and Woody like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I'm using 110gr TTSX H335 powder for about 3000fps from an 18" barrel. Close range to about 300yds.

My go to load for the past five years was the 140gr BT @2750fps - killed like lightning. Now I'm playing with the 162gr Amax @2640fps...just because!

howdy.
    I went an shot in 100- 200 and 300m with these 139gr loads.

my trajectory was

+2
    which I estimate a velocity of around 2700fps

good times, not much recoil in the light gun, not a bad bark either, just going to test on some game this weekend hopefully, sit an wait for dog tucker

cheers

rees
    Bugbait likes this.

I load 120Bt in front of 2206h, the gun never leaves the gun room, I have a 7mmRM that I have for longer distances and always decide to take that instead. So I can't talk about how she shoots as I never bother shooting her, the big boy is only a couple of kilo heavier for much more capability

Give it to me I'll shoot it
    veitnamcam, Beaker and L.T like this.

120 grn NBT @ 3k, 18" barrel. CFE223 powder. Kills well. Have shot deer out to 420yards.

The 120 has the same jacket thickness as the 140 so it penetrates well.
    GWH and Woody like this.

Do you mean accubond or partition Tahr? Pretty impressive whichever.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Do you mean accubond or partition Tahr? Pretty impressive whichever.
    120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
    25/08IMP likes this.

ive never been a fan of the BTs mate, a cousin lined upa good Sambar at 150m across gulley , hit it say a Rib back and we never did find that animal. They were though, Ballistic Silver Tip in a Winchester Supreme loading... maybe a different thing, but enough to throw me off them.

what I have learnt though is the 7mm08 is that little bit slower from the get go and at 200-300-400 maybe even 500m the bullet is goin slow enough to penetrate and expand without violent expansion and shallow wounds. same kind of theory as the big bullet moving in slow motion pushes in further. just a few more steps away.

cheers

570mm barrel 140gr NBT G7=0.214 860m/s 48mm bore to sight

Zero at 100m

Trajectory at 1000m ASL and 15 deg C
    25m -1.2 mRad (-3cm )
    50m -0.1
    100m zero
    150m -0.2
    200m -0.6
    300m -1.3 11m / 0.1 mRad click; +0.3 @ 30deg slope; rough guide wind @5 m/s full value 0.7 mRad
    400m -2.2
    500m -3.3 8m / 0.1 mRad click; +0.6 @ 30deg slope
    after that you're on your own, mate.

The trajectory is within 1 cm of the sight line from 40m to 130m. THAT's a point blank range.

300m would be about my limit on animals in good conditions.
    Excellent knockdown within that.
    Trajectory verified on paper and plenty of gongs up to 500m but kinetic energy is getting down out there.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    ive never been a fan of the BTs mate, a cousin lined upa good Sambar at 150m across gulley , hit it say a Rib back and we never did find that animal. They were though, Ballistic Silver Tip in a Winchester Supreme loading... maybe a different thing, but enough to throw me off them.

what I have learnt though is the 7mm08 is that little bit slower from the get go and at 200-300-400 maybe even 500m the bullet is goin slow enough to penetrate and expand without violent expansion and shallow wounds. same kind of theory as the big bullet moving in slow motion pushes in further. just a few more steps away.

cheers
    Slower compared to what? A magnum?
    Nosler 140g BT has always worked for me in 7mm08 on Reds and Japs from near point blank to over 300m and this is in a 19" barrel doing a lazy 2770.
    Maybe your cousin needs to work on his shot placement rather than blaming the bullet?
    I have considered a different bullet for this rifle on a number of occasions but I still can't come up a good enough reason to do so.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Hmmm - more likely target species. Sambar is a whole different ball game than reds or japs.
    Danny likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Hmmm - more likely target species. Sambar is a whole different ball game than reds or japs.
    For sure. It was a consideration I thought would be worth mentioning but I have no experience on Sambar so did not.
    Danny likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds