Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Seven Millimeters, Velocitys and POIs

130gr Corelokts accounted for a lot of Sambar that I have shot, but the 270 has that +2900 fps velocity behind it which as we are aware creates more shock to the critter. Corelokts under 2900fps are Awesome and hold together well.

The hornadys, which I am picking out of Dirt , don't seem to be holding up too well, Dirt being harder than any Sambar deer ,

No beginner to killin Sambar, just a beginner to the 7mm08 ....

Slower in comparison to the +2900 Gang, in which over that Speed ive found Cup an Core projectiles Don't penetrate very well nor hold together. just my findings over the years.

i'll never touch a BT for our big deer.

Your 'Lazy ' Load is quicker than my go to Kimber load albeit by 70fps...

cheers

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    130gr Corelokts accounted for a lot of Sambar that I have shot, but the 270 has that +2900 fps velocity behind it which as we are aware creates more shock to the critter. Corelokts under 2900fps are Awesome and hold together well.

The hornadys, which I am picking out of Dirt , don't seem to be holding up too well, Dirt being harder than any Sambar deer ,

No beginner to killin Sambar, just a beginner to the 7mm08 ....

Slower in comparison to the +2900 Gang, in which over that Speed ive found Cup an Core projectiles Don't penetrate very well nor hold together. just my findings over the years.

i'll never touch a BT for our big deer.

Your 'Lazy ' Load is quicker than my go to Kimber load albeit by 70fps...

cheers
    For the 7mm-08 I have yet to see a bullet with more put down capability than the Barnes TSX. I could get the 120TSX to 3100fps using RL15 and think they may be your Sambar solution.
    For everything else the BT will do the job. The SST and BT are nearly interchangable for performance from what I have seen.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

personally not a Mono fan either, was gifted a lot of Vortx factoy 270 stuff, so am using that to 400 no dramas. once there gone, I don't see replacing them.

cup an Core, bonded if needed , just me personally.

the 120tsx would be a good choice for mono fans on Sambar though, providing you can push them at 3100..

an all time Favourite is an Accubond, proberly 140gr in 7m08 knowing il proberly be only at around 2700 range from the muzzle.

Interlocks though.... look to act like a Super X SP...

Gone But Not Forgotten
    With the Hornady 139gr bullet, choose the spire point over the boat tail version - holds together and expands well. Don't know the length of your Kimber barrel but you should be able to comfortably get 2,800 fps from a 20" barrel in 7 mm/08.
    Rees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    120 grn NBT @ 3k, 18" barrel. CFE223 powder. Kills well. Have shot deer out to 420yards.

The 120 has the same jacket thickness as the 140 so it penetrates well.
    Similar here, 120NBT @ 3080 from a 22" barrel. Only shot one deer with it so far (170yds) but it died quickly enough and didn't go far.

We load 120 and 140 Nosler BT for normal hunting and I load Nosler 140 AB for the big stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Similar here, 120NBT @ 3080 from a 22" barrel. Only shot one deer with it so far (170yds) but it died quickly enough and didn't go far.
    Ive just started playing with a 120 NBT load in an old Mod 7 7mm08 that ive just had bushpig'd to 15", using a book max load of CFE223 i have them going 2900 fps, and accuracy is looking promising.
    7mmsaum likes this.

ive had poor results with the hornadys so ive just loaded up 140gr woodleighs for the sambar.

poor penetration an jacket core seperations were all too common in the 5 sambar ive shot this week with them... not good in my book.

better luck with the Woodleighs at around 2650-2700 if lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    With the Hornady 139gr bullet, choose the spire point over the boat tail version - holds together and expands well. Don't know the length of your Kimber barrel but you should be able to comfortably get 2,800 fps from a 20" barrel in 7 mm/08.
    Hi mate! geez this is good advice, but I have 70 loaded up haha!

I am now onto the Woodleighs... use the BTSP 139s for Fallow I spose...

I'm around 22 inch barrel. low charge , appx 2700.

cheers!!
    rees