Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Shooting Subs and High velocity rounds

Just curious to hear other peoples experiences on shooting both subs and supersonic rounds. Specifically was there a shift in impact either left or right between the two rounds. I'm looking to shoot both rounds with a supressed .308 but I'm wondering how feasible it is using them both on the same hunting trip without resighting the rifle in?

Would like to report on that as that is exactly what i was going to do tonight......... got a email to say the range was closed due to logging for upto 6 months
    I wouldn't expect any significant left or right but more than likly a shit load of drop compared to full power.
    Maybe this weekend if its not pissing down again
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The left and right shouldnt change but there would be a truckload of drop between subs and standard loads, given the difference in velocity. Sub 1000fps for subsonic compared to 2600+ for standard loads.
    As long as you know the difference between the 2, you could use them on the one trip. I would personally stick to standard loads through a suppressor.

I'm with you on the significant vertical drop between the two.
    What about the accuracy of the subs, whats the best group people can brag to me about. My reading into the accuracy of subs is that they are prety average.
    My other question is what sort of scope setup would work with the two rounds, ballistic reticle or something I dial up depending on what round I'm using?
    I would appreciate any further views or opinions

Too many variables there, what are your intended uses for said rounds?. You "could" dial subsonic out as far as you like but 75-100 is probably realistic max on any big game.

When using subs I think to myself ''if it was a rabbit, would I hit it with my .22lr'' and then decide if I need to stalk in closer or not.

I zero my rifle with super-sonic and then limit the range on the subs...it’s usually close enough for my needs.

kj

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Too many variables there, what are your intended uses for said rounds?. You "could" dial subsonic out as far as you like but 75-100 is probably realistic max on any big game.
    The grand plan is to be able to shoot the close animals with subs and anything further out past 100m I could swap to the high velocity load and have a crack. The majority of the shooting I do is in the bush but often there is a longer 2-300m shot that presents itself.

You could just use standard loads through the suppressor. Would limit it to a crack and get rid of the blast. Would be good in the bush and in the open. I tried using subsonic rounds but flagged it as there are far to many variables. Even the temperature outside would vary the velocity and hence the bullet impact. I went back to standard high velocity, far more consistant and dont have to chase animals half as much with normal loads compared to subs. Also the subsonic loads never opened up or caused much internal damage, maybe it was the projectiles I was using, but never had much luck. Personally I would shoot standard loads through a suppressor. Better and more consistant results, that is from what I have found. Im sure others will disagree.

Had a play tonight(see help with rossi thread) In this rifle zeroed 2" high @ 100 I had to use the thick bit of the post to be on at 50.
    In other words its a shitload low and not practical unless you had either a ballistic reticule you could use to compensate or dial for both loads.

I would think the left/right could change for sure. I have it change based on different powder charges in supersonics and if you're not spinning the bullet fast enough to stabilise it properly you could end up all over the shop too. I imagine the accuracy will be pretty awful.

Plus projectiles aren't designed to open up at 1000fps or less. You might have a hard time killing an animal with that.

If you think about how much you have to compensate with subs in a 22 it's going to be no different for a 308. Being bang on at 50 could mean you miss an animal at 100.

It'd be fun to play with though. Whatever you do make sure you have something to hold the powder against the primer or you'll blow yourself up!

These ones were inline just a shit load low

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    These ones were inline just a shit load low
    I'd love to have a crack at it. Might give it a go at some point in the 7mm.

What scope system would work with two different loads? Milldot, ballistic reticle or something I could dial up depending on the load?

Either would work, just depends what you are more comfortable with I guess.