Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dogmatix
  • 3 Post By dogmatix
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Jared
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Short barrel 270 reloading

Short barrel 270 reloading

Hey.
    Got a browning xbolt 270 with a 18 inch barrel I have just started loading for.
    Was getting great accuracy with 42g of ar2206h and 140gr game kings but put them through a chrono they where pretty slow, around 2450fps.
    Started hitting pressure just after that.

Just loaded up another batch to try with ar2509. I'm yet to shoot them so unsure how they will perform.

Anyone else loading for a short barrel 270?
    What kind of performance are you getting?

In my 16" 270, 60gr Reloder 17 and 110 Sierra Prohunter went 3100fps, 56gr Reloder 17 and 130gr gameking 2730fps
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Jared 2206h is too fast burning, even in a 18” barrel.
    AR 2209 should be better.
    tetawa likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

AR 2213SC is worth a try also as is Superformance as it has a burn rate similar to 2213SC. 2209 is always good too. You should be able to get around 2800-2850 fps with the 130 gr bullet with any of these powders in your 18 inch barrel.

Thanks for the replys. Went back to the range today and at 52.5grains of 2209 I'm getting 2650fps. That's half a grain over book Max but no pressure signs yet so might try get it up a touch more.

Tested some factory hornady eldx I had and that's going at 2750fps so must be a bit more room to improve

What sort of range are you hoping to shoot it out to ? As 2750fps is ample I would think out to 300 yards, eldx will blow straight through at close range if going too fast (non issue if shot in the right place) just something to be aware of.

Jared one other thing to note with such a short barrel in an 06 family case is that there will be quite a muzzle blast and still burning powder coming out the muzzle.
    I assume you are running a suppressor for sanity sake?
    If so, the suppressor will be getting a fair bit of punishment.
    I would recommend a steel baffled can, or at least a steel baffle, like in the DPT cans, otherwise your can will have only half the expected life.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Yeah I'm only after around 2700 from my reloads. Was just a note that the factory hornady I have been using is a little bit faster from a ever so slightly heavier projectile. Most deer I shoot are in the bush or on clearings so 90% of my shooting is sub 150m. However I would like to be confident on taking an animal out to 400 when the shot dose come up.

Yes I'm using a hardy suppressor at the moment. Think is a gen 3 or 4. Would like to upgrade when funds allow

Why not consider dual loads, say 150g soft point for close up say out to 200 yards then 145 eldx for anything further out, keep the soft points loaded when stalking, easy to top load an eldx if you come out on a clearing requiring a longer shot, just zero for the eldx and check the difference between them and the soft points, I'd be supprised if there was enough in it to bother adjusting out to 200 yards. @stug put me on to this idea and I'm certainly gonna give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Thanks for the replys. Went back to the range today and at 52.5grains of 2209 I'm getting 2650fps. That's half a grain over book Max but no pressure signs yet so might try get it up a touch more.

Tested some factory hornady eldx I had and that's going at 2750fps so must be a bit more room to improve
    Try superperformance powder and that may give you closer results to the factory stuff?

long time .270 user here......big fat heavy point n shoot bush load...150 grn partitions are simply awesome.....with a 130grn-140grn something for longer range and job is done..... take that chronygraph out and place it directly behind your target..shoot the shite out of it and forever afterwards be a happy man.
    the mighty poohseventy made its name back before rangefinders and chronic graphs made life all complicated like.....you sight her in 3" high at a hundy with your longer range/more accurate load...it will be bang on somewhere around 270 yards (handy to remember that) back bone hold at 350ish job done...mine will put ANY load you feed it into a playing card sized group at a hundy so a point n shoot load is easy . in short forget what the numbers say...if its accurate and you put projectile where it needs to be...take out the front wheels...animal going down fast.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Thanks. Are those partitions actually that good? They seem to be over twice the price of everything else.... Mainly shooting sika.
    dannyb likes this.

partitions are good...thats why they cost more...for sika......not needed really....maybe if hunting during the roar incase you get a not so good shot at a big stag...they have soft front to expand and a solid bum to poke through....the best of both worlds sort of thing.
    Ive shot 2 sika with .270 both with 130grn ballistic tips..... they arent a huge animal so just about any 130grn load would be fine...a stout 110grn would be a lazer beam load but if you go soft they will ruin a LOT of meat.....
    I used 130grns for over 20 years and was happy.... then I got suppressor so recoil dropped off,dug out the heavier projectiles and happier still. the 140grn hornadies have a hohum reputation...my rifle likes them,got given a box of projectiles,two reds at 300-350 yards both fell over with single shot each.
    dannyb likes this.