Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By Chunk
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 7 Post By NIMROD
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By JohnDuxbury

Thread: Sierra Pro Hunter 150s

Sierra Pro Hunter 150s

So a friend has said he would load me up some reloads for my Bergara Extreme hunter ( 18 inch barrel) .
    At the mo Im running Hornady SST factory 150s. They group all right. Has anyone loaded up Some of these Pro Hunter bullets that could suggest a load for the 18 inch barrel? Are they a good killing bullet? He has a lot of reloading experience in case you were wondering.
    I normally dont shoot past 300.
    Im interested to see if the reloads would improve accuracy. Cheers in advance

Cant heelp you with a load, but can confirm that they are good hunting bullets, they kill very effectively and are generally very accurate.

Ive used them for many years and wouldn't have any second thoughts about using it on big reds, Tahr or Sambar.

So what caliber are we talking? I just used a 150 gr cup n core out of the 300 wsm on a large branch way up a dead tree, trying to down it before the wind does whilst I'm walking below. Anyway from my experience 150 are just too light in the 30 caliber, mainly to do with the sd.

Fair enough, I just accepted 30cal. Cheers for pointing it out.

I've since swapped over to 110gr Barnes.

Sorry fellas … 308 of course..
    Dama dama likes this.

buggered if know what old smokey is on about unless his 300 cannon is poking the softer cup n core out at barrel burning speeds.... the basic cup n core 150grn .30 calibre projectiles have been tipping over game for as long as most of us have been around and will continue to be doing so long after we are worm food.
    in the .308w its just about perfect balance of speed and mass....yip the lighter weight will go faster and heavier is more efficent at long range ,but the 150s just kill stuff well.
    I recall smokey taking a certain young fella close to my heart out for days shooting with 150grn loads in .308 and he killed many wallaby and a big 12" bull tahr without any fuss or bother...and they were mild loads from a shortish barrel too.
    yo uwill be fine with your loads Chunk....just fine indeed.
    Dama dama and 20 Bore like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

pick a load 2grns below book max using whatever powder you have on hand..load 3 and see how they go is the VERY SHORT UNSCIENTIFIC answer to your other question.
    Huk likes this.

150g Sierra Pro Hunters are really good projectiles on deer.
    If your not killing animals efficiently with them, you need to look beyond your rifle and projectile, and start looking at yourself.
    nor-west, Ruger7mm, Hunty1 and 4 others like this.

I used .312 “ 150gr pro hunters in my .303 and they were adequate. 130gr and 150 gr Norma were better. From the 7mm08 the Nosler BT 140 gr were vastly better in terminal effect and getting venison into the fridge.

Advantages of the pro hunter is the flat base making it forgiving in average barrels like the 303, and shorter overall. Disadvantage is lead tip that could be damaged.

funny that......some of us prefer a lead tip....its all horses for courses and you still have to get arse off couch and get out there on hill,find an animal and then hit it in right place before ANY projectile difference comes into play.
    I just chucked 30 rounds of 223 in pouch for a wallaby walk tomorrow...half dozen ramdom rounds,55grn soft points of varied vintage...a few ttsx incase spot a pig/deer...some hornady hp target pills and a few zmax to round up the numbers...I know at under 200 yards it wont matter a hoot..although the ttsx will zip through as wallys dont offer enough resistance to open up....oh and a few subsonic 55grn fmj and a couple of 40 grn hp just above subsonic.....just because I can....hare medicine lol.
    Jaco Goosen and BSA270 like this.

47 grains of 2208 and any 150 grain bullet in any .308 I have met is a good load.

And if you cant kill a red deer or a tahr with a 150 grain .30 cal, Im not sure the sectional density is going to be the problem...
    Micky Duck, superdiver and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    47 grains of 2208 and any 150 grain bullet in any .308 I have met is a good load.

And if you cant kill a red deer or a tahr with a 150 grain .30 cal, Im not sure the sectional density is going to be the problem...
    I only had 150ies because that's all that was available, my minimal pros are 165 and for shooting limbs of dangerous trees a 180 is far better.
    Ps, the bloody limb is still hanging on. So shows you how wrong one can be, I thought it would work.