Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bluecod1967
  • 1 Post By No.3

Thread: size die scratching cases bush fix

size die scratching cases bush fix

hi all just wondering if anyone else has tried fixing sizing dies that mark cases i bought a set of secondhand nitide hornady dies of trademe some time ago and i noticed a few brownish streeks on the inside of the sizeing die its in 44/40,so i cleaned them up and started using them only to find most of mr cases had long scratchs the length of the case very annoying as i had done a fare few with out noticing the marks,after nashing teeth and a few swear words i decided in for a pound so i got a case bored the primer pocket out put a nut and bolt through it and popped it in the drill,then some fine valve grinding paste and i worked the die very lightly for a few miniutes cleaned it out then got a 30 call bronze brush wound some cloth onto that with auto sul polish and worked that with i was happy with the finish put a few cases through no more scratchs. so there life left in the dies yet ill be using lube to now as i suspect the carbide or nitride has been deminished some what.
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Sometimes you can end up with a super hard bit of grit in the die wall, giving them a clean and wiping a cotton ball around inside the die might show where it is if it catches a bit of fluff...
    bluecod1967 likes this.

good idea fortunatly i could see the marks

Seen it a few times, I normally chuck it up in the lathe and polish with 1500 or 2000grit emery cloth.

Yep ive used toothpaste before as well