Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: So how far can you usefully shoot a 7.62x39?

Will second that. We had a little '39 hitting shoebox sized targets at nearly 500y. Just needed to keep the shot count to 3

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    As per title.

Interested to know how far you can usefully use the 7.62x39 round.

My SKS was capable of ummmm, Milk jug at 50m type accuracy.

Then Jacinda bought it off me.
    (How in the world is she gonna test fire and learn to shoot all these rifles? She has a husband, a child and a country to run)

I'm sure I coulda hit a barn door at any range under 350 m with it .(as long as it wasn't open.....)Yes you can hit a barn at long range. It has to be a long barn and you need to be inside...(I can hit any barn from the inside or conversely if its a poor shooter it could not hit a barn door from inside a barn made of doors....

So how far can you usefully fling a 7.62x39 round?. By usefully, I mean to about consistently about 3 ish MOA accuracy.

I'm guessing this is one for the handloaders.
    Decent ammo and in a decent barrel etc accuracy can be pretty good. Brothers one hits around 1 moa using Hornady SST. Cheap (inconsistent) ammo in a sloppy barrel is not a good mix.

What are you using now? A CZ with good ammo should do rather well.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Decent ammo and in a decent barrel etc accuracy can be pretty good. Brothers one hits around 1 moa using Hornady SST. Cheap (inconsistent) ammo in a sloppy barrel is not a good mix.

What are you using now? A CZ with good ammo should do rather well.
    Haven't got anything to replace my SKS at this stage. I'm thinking a Howa, when I can afford it.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    unless the government alters gravity.
    Shit!! when are they gonna do that? I have to make a submission to the select committee . Which one is it??
    Marty Henry likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

have a look at the sexy Zastava wingman has rebarreled.......that certainly has the accuracy....the cartridge is using a 123grn projectile NORMALLY and creedmore users (I didnt put loosers) will tell you its good to a thousand yards...... I have used it and disagree.

@Micky Duck A .22 will also get to 1000 yards and then some, not to say it's anywhere near where you pointed it or can do much damage when it arrives. Just saying,

Shot my Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 last weekend at 200m at 8” steel plates with a 2moa red dot using mixture of FMJ. Shooting prone I scored hits at least 90% of the time. Misses were generally my fault.
    Great little Round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    199p likes this.

Loved my mini 30 till Jacinta stole it back,always keeping an eye out for a howa mini or zastarva but having a .308 I can reload to 39 speeds makes buying another gun a bit hard to justify,always killed well with sst bullets on Sika but went to highland ammo for reds as it was harder and seemed to punch on thru..the sst were more accurate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Haven't got anything to replace my SKS at this stage. I'm thinking a Howa, when I can afford it.
    The Howa is a good choice from what I hear. Scott Trails masterpieces are also very good (very light and not cheap) but he has stopped making them for a bit as he is too busy.

Zastava made a nice one as does CZ. I like the feel and fit of the Zastava but CZ is a better grade / quality. (If only it had the flush internal mag of the Zastava....)

I have a Baikal here new and for sale, (dont have the ones above..so am not pushing anything in particular) Baikal singles may lack the finesse of the Euro / Japanese but with the carry and being able to put them IN your pack, they do have they advantages.....
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Shot my Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 last weekend at 200m at 8” steel plates with a 2moa red dot using mixture of FMJ. Shooting prone I scored hits at least 90% of the time. Misses were generally my fault.
    Great little Round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also got an Ruger ranch 7.62x39 as a SKS Cindy replacement with intentions of using up my mil surp spam can ammo for off hand practice. Well there was no need for better ammo for range target shooting as on sighting in on first group (and following groups) where all touching abet at 50m, due to time constraints (range about to close) I have not tried further out yet.

And yes I do take hot water to flush rifle before leaving range when using mil surp.

I have shot several hundred deer and pigs with my Howa Mini with a suppressed short barrel. It shoots 3 shots sub inch at 100m. Have only used Hornady 123gn SST. Slower due to short barrel. Can consistently kill them out to 250m (ranged). Have shot them out to 300m in ideal conditions. No dial up just know my trajectory. At ranges over 200m, bigger deer and pigs will run 50m sometimes and pile up dead. A very consistent killer. Hope this helps. As with everything it comes down to knowing your rifle, knowing your range and using the right bullet.
    Phil_H and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    Hope this helps. As with everything it comes down to knowing your rifle, knowing your range and using the right bullet.
    Thats what it all comes down to in the end though isn't it. Well said
    tikka likes this.