Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: So how much difference does the primer make?

Gone but not forgotten
    It doesn't look like it would make much difference, the Federal primed rounds were only 14fps different from CCI primed rounds with the same powder charge, even though they were different projectiles (130 vs 143gr), so probably would have been even less of a difference with the same projectile.

I have read an analysis somewhere and the engineers discovered a difference of up to 4000psi between some types of primers. This depends on other load factors too, caution is warrented if your near max pressures.
    mimms2 likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Reading that causes me concern, that’s a sign that there’s a little too much haste or not quite enough care when installing the primers

Please don’t take my comments as a criticism, just wanting to point that out

If you are using any type of hand held priming tool then Google “ primer installation proximity detonation”

It occurs when a jammed/ mis oriented primer goes off violently and sets all his mates off in the hand held primer tray

The pictures show multiple fingernails missing and a lot if not all skin missing off fingers and palms etc

Please be careful with primers, they are the most violent of things when upset.

Andrew R
    Primer tray sympathetic detonations really really suck & happen more often than we realise

I’ve seen 60-80 FPS increase with fed 215m over cci large magnums in my 270 and the fed had a better group but that was the one the load was done with

Could this all be a gain being only seen in short barrels that were previously ejecting unburned powder? Anyone with a 29" barrel seeing a big gain switching to cci over federal?