Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Some Thoughts on Handloading.

Wow you guys have a wealth of knowledge. I'm very greatful to have people with such skills, who are willing to share ideas and coach.

I cannot agree more about having a mentor. Even just to ask to million 'dumb' question which a youtuber will not go over.

I've been reloading for about 3 years 2.5 of which loading basic 308 loads with only 2 different projectiles, on a lee loader. I lost my mentor to cancer recently so its good to see others out there. Who can help decipher the bullshit from fact.

Out of interest I've wanted to get a sub moa group at 100m with my 308. How good can I get with amateur skills and a basic projectile like a 165gr sst?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    Wow you guys have a wealth of knowledge. I'm very greatful to have people with such skills, who are willing to share ideas and coach.

I cannot agree more about having a mentor. Even just to ask to million 'dumb' question which a youtuber will not go over.

I've been reloading for about 3 years 2.5 of which loading basic 308 loads with only 2 different projectiles, on a lee loader. I lost my mentor to cancer recently so its good to see others out there. Who can help decipher the bullshit from fact.

Out of interest I've wanted to get a sub moa group at 100m with my 308. How good can I get with amateur skills and a basic projectile like a 165gr sst?

Greetings @Rn-85,
    The .308 is one of the easiest cartridges to load on the planet but the weakest link is often not the load. The scope, rifle and unfortunately the shooter must be up to it. I would suggest starting with the 165 grain flat base projectiles. These usually shoot well in any .308 that is up to the task. Some can be a bit fussy with boat tails. I don't know what powders or projectiles you have but I would probably favour AR2206H if you have it. A short work up to around 43 or 44 grains of AR2206H testing for accuracy along the way. If the load does not shoot well then look for the cause starting with the rifle, scope and marksman. Testing needs to be done from a bench or the ground with a bipod or rest at the front and a bag at the back. Take your time. If you have trouble get someone else to watch you shoot and if needed shoot some groups for you. Feel free to post or PM your components and results to date. There are three legs to the accuracy stool and if any are wobbly then results will be less than desired. The are the load, rifle and shooter.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

If you have thd basics right the .308W will give you MOA accuracy, or better. It's not very fussy cartridge. It's not a cal I load for much now but making good loads for it was simply done.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I will just put this here....showed my wife,she patted me on head and said "just as well you reload now isnt it"

SHE GETS IT...Im a lucky man

8316 Hornady 222 Rem 50gr V-Max Superformance Varmint Ammunition Box of 20 $63

80563 Hornady 270 Win 140gr SST Superformance Ammunition Box of 20 $99 – only a couple of boxes coming so limit 1 per customer and first in.

80536 Hornady 270 Win 145gr ELD-X Precision Hunter Ammunition Box of 20 $107

80933 Hornady 308 Win 150gr SST Superformance Ammunition $99

80983 Hornady 308 Win 165gr SST Superformance Ammunition Box of 20 $99
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Gunworks email? I showed my wife that last night and we had the same conversation.

Is reloaded ammo more accurate than factory now? I thought it was in the past but has that changed?

Is the only advantage to reloading cost?

Micky Duck likes this.

it should be as good as if not better...and yes gunworks.
    as said in your 223 thread,you got to look at end use and be happy with good enough to do the job properly

the other HUGE advantage is to taylor loads to your needs..... big n heavy or soft and light arent catered to well from factory loads...with your .308 you can load really really cheap plinking loads using cast and trailboss.... or 130grn mild loads to cater for kids ,perfect for goats n wallabies and ok for smaller deer..right through to 180-200grn whopper stoppers
    your .223 45-50grn varmit pills for exploding rabbits or stopping wallabies mid hop right through to monos or heavies if your twist suits for deer and pigs plus cheap basic loads for plinking or bunnies and now Ive finally found recipe...subbies for shits n giggles. possums or rabbits or finishing off round behind the ear.....thats 4grns trailboss under a 55grn projectile

Gunworks email? I showed my wife that last night and we had the same conversation.

Is reloaded ammo more accurate than factory now? I thought it was in the past but has that changed?

You can't go into ( even ) gunworks and get loaded ammo in 307 Win, 30-40, 450 no2, 50-70, 500 3" etc etc etc

So reloading comes into its own when you want to try something less common
    bumblefoot, Micky Duck and blip like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

or 6.5 06. One take I have on reloading is dont get hung up on the numbers its what happens on the target what counts..
    techno retard likes this.

Greetings @Rn-85.
    Some factory ammo is very good these days and has been for some time. Handloaded ammo can be better than factory if it is loaded with care and attention to detail. Slap it together handloads where cases are different head stamps, poorly seated primers, variable powder charges etc can be absolute junk. The key is to keep everything the same in handloads.
    GPM.

Ive found thats one reason people give up on the 22 hornet and write it off as inaccurate. If ever there was a round that was sensitive to the slightest variation between round to round loads this would be it
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yep such a small load 1/10th of a grain is a lot.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Back in 1977 I owned a 6" single action .44 mag 6 shooter as a first gun. My loading revolved around melted down solder bars and wheel weights and a healthy scoop of MP2 powder. The Lee kit came with the usual yellow scoop. Unknown to me, they needed calibrating( cut down to suit). One healthy dollop of powder, and one cracked cylinder later, a permanently glued in case resulted in an immediate transformation from 6 shooter to 5 shooter for years after. Talk about guardian angels...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    You can't go into ( even ) gunworks and get loaded ammo in 307 Win, 30-40, 450 no2, 50-70, 500 3" etc etc etc So reloading comes into its own when you want to try something less common
    @akaroa1 I can't go into my local gun store and get Buffalo 223 ammo, and haven't been able to for at least 18 months. But I now have a few boxes of the same Gameking projectiles, Lee Loader etc and when my ammo runs out will begin reloading again. I've done the same for my 303 and 308. When I run out of ammo I'll have everything on hand to hand load again.

It's funny looking back and remembering people with common calibres getting laughed at by those with more hard to get calibres for saying that they have a common calibre so that they can always get ammo for it. They used to get the old "That'll never happen"... Now it's difficult to get ammo for some of the common calibres!

A little while ago I had to use mail order to get Federal 150's for my 303 because there were none in Taranaki. Which is a pain in the arse when you have to get the paperwork etc compared to ducking into town and grabbing a box. I realise the 303 isn't as popular as a 308 or 223, but it's not an obscure cartridge either. Some have said to me to use another brand. Which is all good, but it'll probably mean sighting in again and the "wasting" of more precious ammo...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Is bullet run out important?
    Perhaps not so.

https://youtu.be/6m8Y6ZmSBiU
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y