Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sooty Necks

I dont if that helps with a data point, and i get sooty necks

where as winny factory dosent seem to get the soot like i do

I haven't seen you explain what your ladder test is for (so I might be wide of the mark so to speak) but as I understand, ladder tests are only effective beyond 200 yards, inside that the vertical separation of rounds at different velocities or vibration nodes hasn't happened yet . . as I mentioned I shoot mine at about 320 metres.

There is a method for achieving a similar result at 100, its called "Optimal charge weight" or OCW, but I have never really been able to get my head around it.

Yep, I normally rub off the lube. Or else put it through the tumbler after sizing (I don't always tumble).

Technically it's probably not a 'ladder test' but that's what I call it anyway.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Caretaker
    During the process of testing my heavy 338edge at 1500yrds i prepped some brass to very minimal neck clearances, an interesting side effect after firing that special brass was very clean case necks.

Not a lot of sooty

(pic of a pic hence poor quality)

A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I had sooty necks on a 243Rem until I annealed the necks and the sooty effect did not happen again.

I owned a T3 270WSM, amongst other brands, some time ago. It was also inclined to blow soot back over neck, sometimes shoulder. Agree that lowish pressure is a factor, also neck-clearance and throat length. My T3 had a long throat(non-SAAMI spec?) compared to some other makes, as did a Sako 75 I checked. Typically, I would need 3gns more powder to bring velocities up to that clocked by standard throat rifles. It seemed that guide max. loads were a reasonable starting load in my T3.
    The cartridge is also prone to neck-splitting and formation of 'dough-nuts' at neck/shoulder joint. I eventually dealt to these issues with the use of a Redding Type S Full-length Bushing Die, adjusted to leave the lower half of neck blown out. A .305 bushing worked well.
    Tried 2217, but found I was burning about 5gns more powder than say, N165, for no better performance.