Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Swapping reloads between rifles

I tend to not share ammo between my rifles, but sometime if i'm running low on .260 reloads I'll use a couple of 7mm08 loads.

Can be pretty tight closing the bolt, but I've never notice any pressure signs on the primers.

Swapping reloads between rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I tend to not share ammo between my rifles, but sometime if i'm running low on .260 reloads I'll use a couple of 7mm08 loads.

Can be pretty tight closing the bolt, but I've never notice any pressure signs on the primers.
    Haha, speaking of that, my brother in law managed to accidentally fire a .308 round in his Tikka .30-06 last weekend.
    It wasn’t very good for it!
    He was off hunting yesterday and luckily H&F managed to get him up a replacement extractor, despite my advice he hasn’t taken it to a smith to check it over so hope all goes well on his trip this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Look closer
    What am i missing?
    FC brass, usually crimped primers so could have been de-crimped too deeply.
    Unrelated but that firing pin crater looks huge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the crimp still in the pocket?
    Like Savage1 said, I don't even bother reloading Fed .223 brass. Waaay too much hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me like a blown primer like what use to happen with the Winchester primers quite often. I don't buy Winchester any more simply because of that. I don't think changing rifles caused the problem, I think it is probably a case/primer problem.
    As for using same loads for different rifles, many of us do it all the time. If you have a pet load for 1 rifle, you try it in another before load development and if it works, no point in changing. Saves a whole lot of grief at the reloading bench, and then when shooting to ensure you have the correct load for each particular rifle.

I used to load for for 3 rifles.
    Had a load that worked and when we hunted together never had to take too many rounds as your mate had the same.
    Full length resize though.
    shooternz likes this.

as others have said if the load isnt hot rodded and is full length resized it will be bugger all different to a factory load.
    I wont use a hot reload in different rifle but have no issue with other loads....
    if I was owning more than one rifle in same calibre (as people I know do) you can have rifle spacific loads but you also have loads that will work in them all....just like factory stuff...... those multi rifle loads will be sitting in glovebox/belt pouch/top pocket of pack/drum of bits buried at hunting camp so you wont ever be short of a load or three if youve just had blazeing row with Mrs before heading out door to go hunting and forget to grab ammo.
    had a mate come up for 4wd trip up major river to go hunting,he arrived with 7mm mag a .243 a 12ga and a humble 10/22 and all his ammo was left sitting on bench at home 5hrs away apart from the 50 rounds of .22lr ammo in the glove box....... he had great time shooting hares from wagon and glassing thar up in the bluffs.