Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Switching primers in handloads?

Switching primers in handloads?

Hey Guys

Looking at loading some ammo for my new .375.

Have got some handloads and empty cases that came with as well as the data for them. They are really accurate loads so would like to use them.

My problem is I have heaps of Fed 215 large magnum primers and the loads were developed with Winchester large rifle primers.
    I don't think they will be an issue as they far from max loads and have zero pressure signs but thought I would check what you thought before going ahead and then having to pull them all?

The data is as follows:

220gr Hornady interlock, 72gr AR2206H, COAL 86mm, Win Primers
    300gr Hornady Interlock, 63.5gr AR2206H, COAL 92.7mm, Win Primers.

Could they cause pressure problems or will the difference be negligable?

Cheers
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Impure Lead Flinger
    Switching from a large rifle to a lerge rifle magnum is like adding 1gn of powder... it also causes a much faster ignition so pressure will spike faster..

I like using large rifle ie 210 primers as they seem to give me better accuracy overall in most small to medium capacity cases...

If ur looking to change from WLRs to 215s by all means do it but drop back a few grains and work up again!

Impure Lead Flinger
    Also IMO a magnum primer with a fairly fast powder like 2206h will cause a much faster ignition and possibly a hotter burn so theres alsorts of factors to look at!

Cheers for that Baldbob, so if I went to a Federal large rifle primer I shouldn't have any issues?
    Would be nice to stick with a load I know that works but win primers seem to be in short supply up here!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Impure Lead Flinger
    Theoretically u shouldnt.. but all makes have slightly different burnrate... if ur loads anywhere near warm drop back a tad.. if like u say miles off max then go at it... just be aware of possible POI changes from slight pressure differences...

I run the same powder for every load in 3 different cals, were that powder is a bit slow and i can't get enough in i run a mag primer and it helps velocity.
    Otherwise i just run a lr primer.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cheers guys, will try and get some winnies, don't want to mess with something that works!

How much more velocity would you get using a mag primer in cases like 6.5x55 or .308?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    How much more velocity would you get using a mag primer in cases like 6.5x55 or .308?
    Upto 30-40fps.. but depending on powder and only wen ur talking slow powders which compress before you reqch max loadings

You may or may not get more velocity depending on the load.
    You could actually get less if already at max pressure.

I get another 50-80 fps over what i can get with a lr in my 130 Barnes 2208 308 load.
    This is mainly because 2208 is too slow and is very compressed in this load.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

So if I had a 6.5x55 loaded to max with W760 using a federal mag primer its safe? if not could I borrow a bullet puller from someone.
    VIVA LA HOWA

It is if thats what you have worked up in YOUR rife, if it is someone elses load then probably not!

Impure Lead Flinger
    So if I had a 6.5x55 loaded to max with W760 using a federal mag primer its safe? if not could I borrow a bullet puller from someone.
    No toby thatbwould be increasing the pressure... it only works with SLOWER powders that are already compressed in the case BEFORE you reach MAX pressure

Any pressure signs mate??
    I use Fed Larg mag primers in everything that they fit in for the extra fps

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    No toby thatbwould be increasing the pressure... it only works with SLOWER powders that are already compressed in the case BEFORE you reach MAX pressure
    To true, but have you used the load toby or did you put the wrong primers in?