Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T3/6.5/Amax

but have you tried the groups out further? I keep getting told they can missbehave for a bit then settle down out a bit further?? yet to try with my SAUM as I dont think the groups are good enough with the 162 amax in that either 180VLD works so may flag the amax

in my 6.5 the 140VLD shot better than the amax
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Get back in your packet,
    I want better than that.
    And who is this "He" you speak of.
    Go on post a pic of your poor AMax groups

I had good results with RL22 in a finnlite and 140 amax's.From memory was over 2800fps and grouping under moa.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    No I haven't leathel, I've exploded milk bottles full of water a bit further out wih them though.Time to load up and get the steel plate out I reckon.
    I to have heard this "they shoot better further out" line bandied about on internet for years.
    The "going to sleep" line is another.Personally, as your question marks seem to indicate I'm also a little sceptical..
    I fail to see how anything banging along minding it's own business pointing in the wrong direction at 100yrds is sudenly going to sprout stablizers and zoom in on a Wallaby 650yrds away across a gully.
    Might happen though, Whaddya reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I to have heard this "they shoot better further out" line bandied about on internet for years.
    The "going to sleep" line is another.Personally, as your question marks seem to indicate I'm also a little sceptical..
    I fail to see how anything banging along minding it's own business pointing in the wrong direction at 100yrds is sudenly going to sprout stablizers and zoom in on a Wallaby 650yrds away across a gully.
    Might happen though, Whaddya reckon.
    It's a real phenomenon that a rifle can occasionally shoot tighter groups (in terms of angular dispersion) at longer ranges than shorter, but it's not due to the bullet "settling down" or "going to sleep" as is commonly claimed, more likely to be related to mental state of shooter, parallax issues or similar.

You can read this or just take my word for it

Also you could try a greater range of seating depth than the .015" difference you've tried so far with the 140gr. No idea about the velocity spread.

See how those 130gr Bergers go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    A 2" group would get you a wallaby at 650yards, so I recon it would work.

Going from 1" .8" groups means a your bullet will fall .7" closer to where you aim at 700 yards.

Whats the bet you dont notice that?
    It doesn't look so pretty on paper.