Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Targex .224 69gr

Just need to get it all set up.

Name:  imagejpeg_2[1].jpg
Views: 579
Size:  136.8 KB
    Tahr, Dama dama and Steelisreal like this.

Mate you are going to rival Tahr with toys and experimenting with every projectile on earth.
    Timmay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Mate you are going to rival Tahr with toys and experimenting with every projectile on earth.
    Its all part of the fun. No point in dying wondering

@Timmay This is an interesting thread so I look forward to your results of both shooting and hunting!

I've played with my .223 a fair bit over the years. It's a 19 inch Tikka T3 with 1-8 inch twist sporting a DPT over barrel suppressor.

I've used it a fair bit shooting Sika and a few Fallow. Most of the time I was just using Sierra 55 gr projectiles which did the business just nicely but I have played with Hornady v-max shooting a handful of sika and also shot alot of 55 gr Hornady projectiles on goats as there cheap and wouldn't hesitate in using them on bigger animals (Sika & Fallow).

It seems your go to powders will be AR2206H, BM2, AR2208 & CFE223 although I don't have any experience with the later two but my mate swears by AR2208 in his .222's and .223's shooting Targex projectiles.

The only two powders I've toyed with have been AR2206H & BM2 where I found the sierras and v-max shot best with AR2206H and the Hornady's shot best with BM2.

I have tinkered with heavier 69 gr Sierras in both AR2206H & BM2 and from some notes I was using 24 gr BM2 which gave me 3/4 inch groupings and an average speed of 2790 fps tested with a labradar.

I also tried 25 gr AR2206H which gave me 2889 fps tested with a labradar but I haven't noted down what the groupings were and both of the tests were without the suppressor as I guess I must have left it at home on the day.

No doubt had I have tested with the suppressor then speeds would be up another 30 fps

The projectile I use these days is a Sierra 63 gr SMP
    AR2206H - 25.5 gr - 1/4 inch grouping at 100 mtrs - 2952 fps (with suppressor)
    BM2 - 24 gr - 1/4 inch grouping at 100 mtrs - 2761 fps (with suppressor)
    Tahr, Timmay, nor-west and 2 others like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    @Timmay This is an interesting thread so I look forward to your results of both shooting and hunting!

I've played with my .223 a fair bit over the years. It's a 19 inch Tikka T3 with 1-8 inch twist sporting a DPT over barrel suppressor.

I've used it a fair bit shooting Sika and a few Fallow. Most of the time I was just using Sierra 55 gr projectiles which did the business just nicely but I have played with Hornady v-max shooting a handful of sika and also shot alot of 55 gr Hornady projectiles on goats as there cheap and wouldn't hesitate in using them on bigger animals (Sika & Fallow).

It seems your go to powders will be AR2206H, BM2, AR2208 & CFE223 although I don't have any experience with the later two but my mate swears by AR2208 in his .222's and .223's shooting Targex projectiles.

The only two powders I've toyed with have been AR2206H & BM2 where I found the sierras and v-max shot best with AR2206H and the Hornady's shot best with BM2.

I have tinkered with heavier 69 gr Sierras in both AR2206H & BM2 and from some notes I was using 24 gr BM2 which gave me 3/4 inch groupings and an average speed of 2790 fps tested with a labradar.

I also tried 25 gr AR2206H which gave me 2889 fps tested with a labradar but I haven't noted down what the groupings were and both of the tests were without the suppressor as I guess I must have left it at home on the day.

No doubt had I have tested with the suppressor then speeds would be up another 30 fps

I was in a gun store today and spotted a box of the 63gr SMP Varminter bullets, are you using them for a do it all bullet? How do they go on the deer? Being that they are a fairly short bullet for their weight Im interested to see if they will shoot ok in my rifle that up till now only shoots 55gr SGK's really well and nothing heavier that ive tried this far.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post

Which brass - quite a big variation in weight/case capacity in 223 I find?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I was in a gun store today and spotted a box of the 63gr SMP Varminter bullets, are you using them for a do it all bullet? How do they go on the deer? Being that they are a fairly short bullet for their weight Im interested to see if they will shoot ok in my rifle that up till now only shoots 55gr SGK's really well and nothing heavier that ive tried this far.
    If the 55's go really well in both accuracy and killing then don't change. The only reason why I went to a heavier albeit 8 grains heavier is because we moved south so we shoot more reds down here. I haven't really noticed a difference in killing power yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HandH View Post
    Which brass - quite a big variation in weight/case capacity in 223 I find?
    I use Remington brass for my .223 although I do have some Hornady but I prefer Remington. No real reason why as I guess it's always been the brass I've used over the years in a variety of calibres so I guess I've come to know it and trust it.

Saying that I use PMC for the .222, Privi partisan for the 7mm-08 and Lapua for the .284

All this talk about 69 gr projectiles has me thinking I might have to put together some loads again and re test as I still have half a packet left.
    Tahr, GWH, Dama dama and 1 others like this.

I used 24gr bm2 in mine and hit steel to 800m with it, very quiet hits by that range
    Found them to be a very accurate projectile seemed a little slow opening on wallabies in chest but ok on goats etc, if still had 223 would still be using them

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    I used 24gr bm2 in mine and hit steel to 800m with it, very quiet hits by that range
    Found them to be a very accurate projectile seemed a little slow opening on wallabies in chest but ok on goats etc, if still had 223 would still be using them
    Agreed. They can be a bit slow on wallabies, but still good enough given their accuracy. It makes them better for deer though.

Fulla
    I used the targex 80gr in 223. I shot a hare with it, maybe I hit bone, but I remember seeing the wound and the projectile flew apart. and I thought it worked ok but probably not good for bigger animals.
    dont get me wrong, they are accurate and I like them. iv shot deer with .224 amax, game king, soft points. so it's not a 224 is too small thing. never shot a deer with the targex, and I used 80's but you may find them a bit soft.

No updates on this one sorry boys, I found I had a full box of 73gn ELDms laying around and got some 65gr Sierra Game Kings for free.
    I tried the 73gn ELDMs and they shot 2800fps 33mm groups at 100m with a 4x with thick cross hairs so I would expect MOA with a better scope. I'm going to try the Sierras when they get here, they are highly recommended from what I've read on here. I'll be trying 2219 Powder most likely.

I got a sample pack of the 69 targex. And threw them together with 2208.
    Produced a nice group. So have ordered a full pack and will run them over the crony and then try them out on some game.
    I didn’t have good luck with the 65 game kings. Would do an inch but no better.
    Name:  948C5C6D-D614-46CE-A34C-A4F89DA7EFFA.jpeg
Views: 440
Size:  348.2 KB
    nzfubz and charliehorse like this.

GWH
    Bit of an update from me, ive since tried both the sierra 63gr SMP and the 65gr Gamekings, the 18" mod 7 shoots them both really well, the 65gr SGKs shot a 1 inch group at 200 yds without load development.

I also loaded up 5x 65gr SGKs to try in my 8 twist tikka, 25.5gr of 2206H at 10 thou off the lands, ended up shooting a 1/2" group at 300 yards! Will load some more to test further.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Bit of an update from me, ive since tried both the sierra 63gr SMP and the 65gr Gamekings, the 18" mod 7 shoots them both really well, the 65gr SGKs shot a 1 inch group at 200 yds without load development.

I also loaded up 5x 65gr SGKs to try in my 8 twist tikka, 25.5gr of 2206H at 10 thou off the lands, ended up shooting a 1/2" group at 300 yards! Will load some more to test further.
    I'm sure the 4.5-30x56 Delta Stryker HD helped with that!! ;-)
    veitnamcam likes this.

@GWH what OAL did you use for the game kings?