Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tikka 300win mag - poor grouping 180gr Hornady Whitetail

Tikka 300win mag - poor grouping 180gr Hornady Whitetail

I picked up a Tikka t3 second hand with a greystone suppressor zeroed @ 50yds then went to 100yds and shot 2x 5shot groups (5mins in between)
    Groups were 2-3inch

Barrell and suppressor was super hot you’d fry and egg on them after the second group.

I’m thinking it doesn’t like the 180gr (possibly can’t stabilise them?) or it needs time after shots to cool right down.

I’ll try some 150gr I have and let yaz know

Shoot it with more time between the shots so it doenst get hot. The twist should be fine for 180's
    Trout likes this.

It will likely be at least 1:11 twist which will absolutely stabilise 180's.

If it's that hot, you'll be getting mirage off of the suppressor and that will mess with your sight picture. Give it two minutes between shots to let it cool down. Get a fan pointing at it if you can.

Tikka's Sub MOA guarantee, for all it's worth, is a 3 shot group with premium factory ammo (which whitetail is not). Are you a capable of that? Have you got a good bit of glass on the rifle in a good set of rings? Do you have a good rest? When was it last cleaned? Have you tried any other 180gr ammo?
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Walking my rifle
    to add to what pommy said
    Seeing as you got it 2nd hand with a supressor, How is the crown? Mate got a used one with a can on it in 223 and the 1st 1/2" of the bore at the muzzle was heavily pitted due to suppressor being left on, after chopping it off and recrowning it shot great
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Are you a capable of that?
    Yep I’m easily capable of MOA shooting can shoot 5 rounds touching with Tikka 7mm08

Have you got a good bit of glass on the rifle in a good set of rings?
    VX5 and leupold rings all torqued

Do you have a good rest?
    Bipod and sandbag - what I’ve always used

When was it last cleaned?
    I cleaned when I got it (first time firing)

Have you tried any other 180gr ammo?
    No just this ammo

The suppressor has been left on (its badly marked in outside of barrell, crown looks ok but not perfect

I’ll try some more ammo and report back
    Thanks for your replys
    Backsteaks likes this.

Here's an interesting one I was part of recently. A rifle that has shot nice groups for year rapidly deteriorated to2.5 inch groups. Turns out the barrel had come loose. Barrel tightened and back to nice groups again. Worth a look!

Definitely check for anything loose. That rifle should shoot fine with most ammo but 300WM definitely heats things up a lot with light barrels. I would shoot two, cool down, shoot two and cool then shoot the last.

Lots of things could be the problem, may not like that ammo so try a few others. You said the crown is not perfect so that may be a contributing factor. The super hot barrel is not good, opens groups and will burn the throat out over time leading to poor accuracy, as above only a couple of shots then let cool before more are fired.
    Try different ammo with a slower firing rate first off and see if that's any better.

Thanks guys will report back! Definately not a good idea trying to zero a rifle before work in a rush... two shots and I had bullseye @ 50yds and I thought I was racing... but I’m guessing my hot barrell was spraying rounds, will check all screws and Re clean to eliminate other factors before Re firing!
    300CALMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by duckndeer View Post
    Thanks guys will report back! Definately not a good idea trying to zero a rifle before work in a rush... two shots and I had bullseye @ 50yds and I thought I was racing... but I’m guessing my hot barrell was spraying rounds, will check all screws and Re clean to eliminate other factors before Re firing!
    Greetings @duckndeer,
    Would be worth putting something soft like a sleeping mat under the bipod legs to help with jump if you are shooting from a bench. Also hold the rifle down in some way for the shots. The magnums are a different beast and need a firmer hold. I would get a gunsmith to sort the crown and check the threads and barrel interior before you waste too much ammo on it. There maybe a reason for the sale. If you are leaving time between shots don't get up and wander around. When you sit down again your hold will be different and point of impact will as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.

ar you hold ing rifle or hugging yourself???? big jump up in recoil from 7mm-08.... bipod and sandbag,great but what off hand is doing matters too.check all screws,mounts..try again...and at end of day unless you bought rifle for 600+yard shooting...all is not lost,400 yards is easy doable as it is....

take suppressor off and leave bolt open between groups too....

On a good day the 300wm shoots well using hornady 180gr SSTs to 400yds with a 2 shot group.Let that V8 barrel REALLY COOL DOWN between each group.Name:  20201207_101129 (2).jpg
Views: 220
Size:  1.50 MB
    Dreamer and Micky Duck like this.

@Trout that’s a dream group! Few rounds down range to master that I bet, @grandpamac I’ll shoot a few more rounds as crown actually looks ok but appreciate the advice @mickeyduck I wrap sling in my forearm and have a firm hold of foreend you gave me some good advice with my 308 and I’ve nailed tahr out to 680yards and have fired appx 250rounds , it kicks harder than this Win Mag shooting 150gr reloads so I’m not too worried about recoil... I’ll retry and let yaz know really appreciate everyone’s input!
    Trout and Steve123 like this.