Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tikka 300win mag - poor grouping 180gr Hornady Whitetail

Quote Originally Posted by duckndeer View Post
    @Trout that’s a dream group! Few rounds down range to master that I bet, @grandpamac I’ll shoot a few more rounds as crown actually looks ok but appreciate the advice @mickeyduck I wrap sling in my forearm and have a firm hold of foreend you gave me some good advice with my 308 and I’ve nailed tahr out to 680yards and have fired appx 250rounds , it kicks harder than this Win Mag shooting 150gr reloads so I’m not too worried about recoil... I’ll retry and let yaz know really appreciate everyone’s input!
    Yes i do put a few rounds down range,especially the 308.Iv got a system thats works well with target design to holding cross hairs on target.Im only the caretaker of the Hells Canyon 300wm,26 inch barrel.Buitifull rifle to shoot but its like feeding a thirsty V8.Would have no problem wacking a 1000yds moa target with it.
    All my zeroing of rifles or target shooting done off the bonnet of the truck.Works best for a tall bugger like me with metal knees.Name:  20200506_110736 (1).jpg
Views: 232
Size:  477.0 KB
    Last edited by Trout; 11-11-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Ye 32in be about right,Barrel 26in,suppresser tames her down nicely,you can still watch thru scope after pulling the trigger.For long walks id just keep muzzel break on and use ear plugs.Very light rifle to carry and nice to shoot.
    Dusty Fog likes this.

This sounds alarm bells to me "The suppressor has been left on (its badly marked in outside of barrel, crown looks ok but not perfect" .
    If the outside of bbl is visibly damaged then the bore may be same or worse. Definitely get this checked out.

The heat you mention is also a worry. And the suppressor will add to that problem and risk cooking the bore & increase carbon fouling. As other stated allow plenty of cool down time between shots & take the suppressor off for cooling.

And as others have said a BIG jump in recoil and muzzle blast in going from 7-08 to 300WM, especially in a light weight rifle. Managing the recoil & shooting accurately in big magnum is a whole different ball game.
    One thing you might want to try is see if you can borrow a GOOD muzzle brake (eg t2 or t3) and try that instead of suppressor. Make sure you are wearing GOOD ear protection. A good muzzle brake will be far more effective in reducing felt recoil but muzzle blast will increase. If you see better groups with brake then this may suggest some work to do on shooting technique for magnums.
    Trout and dannyb like this.

@chainsaw thanks for the advice, I must admit I developed a flinch 10years ago from a 7mm REM mag no brake or suppressor, I shoot 1/2 doz (or more) Calibres now so think I’ve got it sussed, I’ll shoot it following the advice of cooling barrel and then make a decision, ammos cheap 😂 I’m not a fan of muzzle breaks had 3 hinds 50m from me and snap shot the first with no protection and vowed I’d never use a brake again…

Yep, brakes are only good for long distance stuff. But I suggest trying it as a way to assess accuracy potential with less recoil. I find muzzle blast off 300WM is pretty unpleasant, and in itself can bring on flinch

I tryed the 300 with the muzzel brake,even with ear muffs on she was loud.One day i forgot to put muffs on,bloody near knock me out.My ears rang for about 10 minuts.Suppresser with muffs on,she a quiet baby.Bugger all recoil.
    Steve123 likes this.

Possibly could be the suppressor is coming loose with multiple shots quickly.