Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaner tips please

First go. Some pockets clean some not. I would like the case insides shiny too. Just used a capful of Simple Green.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

You can see on the photo of the cases where the contact patches are - these are where you get tarnishing starting for some reason. I tend to wait until I have enough to stand them up on their necks fully submerged and they can't fall over. Makes a nice high pitched musical tinkle over the top of the US buzz - local dogs hate it! Seems to get the pockets and insides uniformly clean though, I suspect it's a cavitation issue in which some areas aren't getting the little bubbles that knock the crap off that others are. I guess thats where the 'tuning' comes in, setting the cases on the node of the machine. First goes I had the unit just didn't clean a thing it was really bad. After googling up and learning about tuning the units, you could see the carbon and crap flying off the cases.

Nice. Will give that a go and look at tuning.

I de prime and size, then into the ultrasonic bath at about 45°C. water and a small amount of bio-parts wash.
    then after 20 min I turn them and give another 20min before removing and draining them. Give them a blow out with compressed air and generally put them on the hot water cylinder for a day.
    I use a 30ltr bath at work so the scale of things is different. Come out nice and shiny. but don't leave them in too long or they will take on a purpleish hue and then go very dull.
    Still need to clean the primer pocket on some cases so I check that when blowing them out.
    Z

Not sure why it never gets mentioned, but if the cases are annealed after wet cleaning, the drying issue is solved isn't it?

Possibly, although bigger cases might not get enough heat at the head to take out a large amount of moisture?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Not sure why it never gets mentioned, but if the cases are annealed after wet cleaning, the drying issue is solved isn't it?
    Yeah the AMP gets the bass very hot so I will try that.