Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I like this ultrasonic cleaner!

I like this ultrasonic cleaner!

Had a couple of goes at reloading for the first time last year, and really enjoyed it other than a couple of bits. One being cleaning the neck and two being cleaning out the primer pockets after resizing. So being the lazy fella I am I looked at alternatives and decided it would be easier to knock out the primers then clean the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner. So after finding a cheap cleaner and getting hold of a decapping die I'm into it. Think I can just about throw away the primer pocket brush.

Now the job is still fun but a hell of a lot less tedious. By the way being one of those guys that squeaks when he walks I decided not to change the cleaning mix with each batch, and I can't tell any difference between the first and fourth batch. Takes about 20minutes to run a batch of 25-30 308 or 243 brass. Now to the next stages ...

Will I need more brass? I've only got about 750 pieces for the 243 and 300 pieces for the 308. Definitely need more for the 223, only about 10 pieces. About half way through cleaning it all.

What one? How much?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

hey gadgetman,

I've wondered about the ultrasonic cleaners, almost bought one a Couple a years ago. But bought a Lyman tumbler instead as was talked into by the man in the shop, wish I hadn't know.
    And good to see ya over here

What cleaning mix do you use?

Got one of these Ultrasonic Cleaner | Trade Me off the first-in website for $40 and not much freight. I use a mix of roughly 2/3 water 1/3 white vinegar and a couple of drops of dish washing detergent. Run through three full cycles with a bit of a mixup between cycles, then drain, rinse quickly in fresh water, then leave to soak in a tub with 500ml water and a heaped table spoon of baking soda to neutralise and remaining vinegar.

The good thing is that it doesn't require constant attention, so can be running in the background while decapping, resizing, making a cuppa, ... whatever. The big disadvantage is the boss saw how well it works and wants jewellery cleaned in it.

Teaspoon of citric acid and hot water in my sonic cleaner. Rinse when finished, no need to soak anything.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Teaspoon of citric acid and hot water in my sonic cleaner. Rinse when finished, no need to soak anything.
    They'd smell nice afterwards too. Can't go hunting with smelly ammo, the deer will laugh at you.
    onslaught5012 likes this.

I'm not 100% sure and only starting out so figure I should play safe and make certain there is no more reaction with acid. Doesn't really take any more effort and can just sit there. Why did the Irishman wear two condoms? Ah ... to be sure, to be sure.
    Toby likes this.

I clean most of the brass I have laying around by hand would be 100-200 rounds of various calibers. Just found out with the last 2 .300winmag shells I had to clean I used brasso and boy did that shine better then new brass from a packet. might clean them all with that now.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Got one of these Ultrasonic Cleaner | Trade Me off the first-in website for $40 and not much freight. I use a mix of roughly 2/3 water 1/3 white vinegar and a couple of drops of dish washing detergent. Run through three full cycles with a bit of a mixup between cycles, then drain, rinse quickly in fresh water, then leave to soak in a tub with 500ml water and a heaped table spoon of baking soda to neutralise and remaining vinegar.

The good thing is that it doesn't require constant attention, so can be running in the background while decapping, resizing, making a cuppa, ... whatever. The big disadvantage is the boss saw how well it works and wants jewellery cleaned in it.
    Next you will want a SSM tumbler. Takes cleaning to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I clean most of the brass I have laying around by hand would be 100-200 rounds of various calibers. Just found out with the last 2 .300winmag shells I had to clean I used brasso and boy did that shine better then new brass from a packet. might clean them all with that now.
    Just use ya shell holder in a drill and a piece of fine finishing sandpaper the thick soft stuff , come up beautiful.

I've always used 50/50 vinegar and waters with a few drops of detergent, after the post above I thought I would try citric acid and the difference is huge, ill never go back to vinegar now.

Fulla
    lactic acid as an active ingredient works well also.
    i was told new solutions need to be de-gased for 20mins to work best. that basicly means run the solution with the machine on, by itself.
    i was warned against using vinegar, i forget the reason now.

I notice some of the brass is turning a bit pink, the missus will love it

Nah, that was just where the brass was oxidised (does it do that?) and the corrosion has now been removed by the sonic cleaner and solution.
    Welcome to Sako club.