Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I like this ultrasonic cleaner!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

I like this ultrasonic cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I clean most of the brass I have laying around by hand would be 100-200 rounds of various calibers. Just found out with the last 2 .300winmag shells I had to clean I used brasso and boy did that shine better then new brass from a packet. might clean them all with that now.
    Brasso contains ammonia. Ammonia will make your brass brittle I have been told. Would advise against it.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Shit
    VIVA LA HOWA

I just got a hornady one from the states with some other stuff. I paid US$80+freight on sale. It's a 110v, but I've got an adapter for my powder meter/scale already.

Graf & Sons - HRN LOCK-N-LOAD SONIC CASE CLEANER 110 VOLT
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Re: I like this ultrasonic cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Brasso contains ammonia. Ammonia will make your brass brittle I have been told. Would advise against it.
    It would make the brass/rag go green if it had enough ammonia in it to effect the copper content of the brass

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

So its ok if its not green? My rag went black and the brass went shiny gold.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Shine away i say

Thats a relief I just cleaned all the wsm rounds and a few winmags I thought I just fucked it all
    VIVA LA HOWA

Your choice Toby but I personally would not clean my brass, which in some cases has cost me $2.25 a piece, with a chemical (Brasso) that has a reasonable amount of documented concerns raised re the use of it for that purpose. (Although I will admit to using Brasso when I first started out ha ha.)

I like this ultrasonic cleaner!

I doubt it will have any effect short term Toby, I'd just not consider it a long term solution.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I doubt it will have any effect short term Toby, I'd just not consider it a long term solution.
    Agreed. I should have said that. Sorry Toby. It does make them pretty though...

Just to share my personal experiences with near pure liquid ammonia and brass/bronze fittings.
    A standard compression fitting on a pipe(dont do this its what you do when no s/s fittings are on board and your 4 days steam from land) will last around 4 weeks with liquid ammonia on the inside and salt water on the outside with the combined electrolysis effect of brass/bronze on a s/s pipe.

Ammonia eats the copper out of these alloys, the result is green "rust"

The human nose can detect around 5 parts per million ammonia in the air.

I cant smell any ammonia from my tube!

Im putting it in the wives tail bin until someone can show me a "scientific" study proving degradation of the brass in its lifetime.

VC I guess the liquid ammonia you will have will be aqueous. Piss weak in my world. I deal with the real stuff, anhydrous ammonia, daily. The real stuff will be around -33deg C and will boil at room pressure/temp. I've seen it clear a room full of real blokes will a spill of less than 50ml fighting their way for the first doorway (squealing all the way like a bus load of school girls), and I have seen (real) ammonia take about a CD size piece of skin off my leg with a combo chemical/freezer burn in a few seconds. A few times I've seen where a brass fitting was installed in a fridge system running ammonia and it was gone overnight.
    I would have to though concede that Brasso will most probably be so mild any real issue would probably be outlived by the brass wearing out after multiple firing.
    Still, I have a corn cob tumbler (until I can find a cheap enough SS media one). I have enough shooting bogeys to worry about not to add another into the mix

I have enough shooting bogeys to worry about not to add another into the mix
    +1
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

VC I guess the liquid ammonia you will have will be aqueous. Piss weak in my world. I deal with the real stuff, anhydrous ammonia, daily. The real stuff will be around -33deg C and will boil at room pressure/temp. I've seen it clear a room full of real blokes will a spill of less than 50ml fighting their way for the first doorway (squealing all the way like a bus load of school girls), and I have seen (real) ammonia take about a CD size piece of skin off my leg with a combo chemical/freezer burn in a few seconds. A few times I've seen where a brass fitting was installed in a fridge system running ammonia and it was gone overnight.
    I would have to though concede that Brasso will most probably be so mild any real issue would probably be outlived by the brass wearing out after multiple firing.
    Still, I have a corn cob tumbler (until I can find a cheap enough SS media one). I have enough shooting bogeys to worry about not to add another into the mix
    No straight pure refridgerant ammonia constantly freezing up to 40 tonne of fillets 24 hours a day and storing up to 800 tonne at -30 .

Yep i know all about leaks James.
    When a noddy fails to check behind the freezer loading trolley in bad weather before moving it and knocks two liquid lines off a plate freezer the entire factory staff is on deck in an instant! Then on the bow while skip changes course into wind and all off shift are woken to evac accommodation. Mean while Im turning off the freezer wearing a simple face mask with ammonia burning the Fuck out of the eye of my cock my Arse hole and my arm pits (you know why or you should) then grabbing another mask to rescue the meal man who every one had forgotten about.

On a factory trawler refridgerant leaks are a fact of life be it ammonia or freon.
    Most are very minor.
    I prefer ammonia to work with as any leak is obvious and while bad for humans is quickly noticed and fixed.
    Freon not so much. All you can smell is the fridge oil carried around the system if your lucky. people get happy as they suffocate then fall over.

And even though it takes ages to clean them one by one, they come up so shiny its addicting.
    VIVA LA HOWA