Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By fernleaf
  • 1 Post By LJPRMC
  • 1 Post By wazza56
  • 2 Post By LJPRMC

Thread: USA - Company’s who ship components to NZ

USA - Company’s who ship components to NZ

Hi guys, seen as the price of most components has steadied and even dropped in the USA post covid (and continue to increase rapidly here).
    I would like to import my own case and projectiles. Could some one please share with who they use as the exporter? Perhaps send me a private message

This would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.reloadinginternational.com/

Reloading International, Oregon, USA. I haven't used them for components but know they have shipped to NZ. I suggest first checking out the economics of buying and shipping from there.
    There's probably others as well that will ship that I'm unaware of and hopefully others here will add more info.
    Burb122 likes this.

+1 for Reloading International.

I've used them a couple of times to buy projectiles that weren't available here.
    Burb122 likes this.
    In longrange riflery, trajectory is the pure science part. Gravity is a constant for our purposes.
    Wind is in the art department.
    Light is pure fucking voodoo.

Big_Les
    I have used reloading international as well .
    my impression is they are more of a boutique supplier . with a reasonable range in brass / projectiles and some other associated rifle pistol gear . This is not Cabelas
    However , they were helpful in setting me up with the needed "export permit " so that i could buy projectiles while i was in the states recently and ship them in my luggage along with projectiles i had bought from them .
    Its important to note, that this is a small company being run by enthusiasts , so dont be in a hurry for things to happen . Secondly , the most important aspect of their business is the arranging of the "small volume export permit " for the gear you are after . You cant do this yourself ( easily ) its a rigmarole of legislation and procedure , that only americans can negotiate their way thru .
    Now as it turns out , the permit lasts for 4 yrs and i still have mine . This then shortens the whole process of buying / sending . But the deal is with them you cant go shopping around .
    The final cost, delivered to NZ , including , shipping , and the exchange rate loss is likely to be not along way from NZ pricing.......look up their website and do your maths .
    I used them because i was in the states , and didn,t want my stuff i had bought confiscated by US border security ( and then potentially prosecuted ) so i was after the export permit , and no shipping costs . that all worked for me and i still have the permit and an account with them .
    cheers
    les
    7mmwsm likes this.

Only used them once so far,they made it very easy.
    I'll be going back when stocks get low again.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    For small orders, the problem will be that freight charges are now such that it likely won't be much different in the end to what you would pay here....used to be cheap to get stuff sent from the US but those days are long gone.
    Correct, shipping costs can kill the economics of the exercise, especially with smaller quantities. However, the problem here recently has been unavailability and the only way to obtain some favourite components has been to use initiative and import your own. I doubt this saved any cost compared to pre shortage prices but at least one's needs were obtained. Now that components are beginning to slowly flow into NZ again, and at the newly inflated prices, it would be an interesting exercise to again compare the relative costs and see which is the more economical. Currency exchange rates are often the biggest factor influencing the economics and are worth keeping an eye on.

@LJPRMC what did you need an export permit for? I've got a friend that has taken projectiles out of the US a couple of times without a permit. Was she just lucky?

Cheers

I have used Reloading International for the supply of projectiles.

Mainly to guarantee a volume of supply of projectiles that local dealers couldn't.
    Saving money was a bonus but not the main aim.

This was when the NZ$ exchange rate was about 0.70 - which makes it more economic.

I had a 4 year export permit that Reloading International helped organise, from memory the export permit was USD $256.00

I nominated 15,000 185 gr Berger Hybrid, 15,000 155gr Berger Hybrids (both 30 cal) and 10,000 .223 projectiles (I can't remember the weight).

Over 4 years I imported 15,000 185s about 3,000 155s and none of the .223 projectiles.

Reloading International use US Postal as their shipper, shipping in a 20 lb box (19 lb of projectiles).
    The shipping price is for the carton, so try to fill the carton to get best value.

Reloading International replaced a shipment that went on a global tour through Asia & Europe instead of coming to NZ. (Eventually it returned to them months later.)

NZ Customs here would get confused every winter as I imported about 3,500 185s and 1,000 155s in about 8 shipments over three months or so.
    NZ Customs would claim I was a dealer and should be using a customs broker. I would send them the same paperwork each winter and eventually they'd release the shipments.

Reloading International are a great company to deal with.
    US Postal service is variable, sometimes a package can sit at LA for a month or more before it moves. Sometimes it's only 3 weeks from end to end.

At the current exchange rate, US projectile prices and shipping it is marginal on price.

It is barely worth doing unless the things you are after are unobtanium here

Freight costs coupled with the current exchange rate make it marginal

Sinclair international will ship to Australia would think NZ as well, but it does depend on what it is
    Burb122 likes this.

Think NZ Post is the biggest holdup.

Sent two boxes of 6.5PRC Lapua Brass to a guy on here. Luckily they went insured. Real headache claiming the money back. He got the money back thankfully but never saw on the brass.

Probably landed up on TardMe.

Well done NZ post

Big_Les
    was she lucky ? yep .
    To be clear , its not illegal to own reloading gear and travel with it in the USA . However , once you want to take it out of the country you are "exporting" reloading components . This not the same as taking a few things home that you bought while on holiday . There no restictions on how many watches you can leave the country with . But ammo components are controlled .
    Border security ( USA side ) need to know, and sometimes the international airline does as well . You tell the airline yourself by email / phone and you tell the border guys by putting the components in you luggage and you put the permit right on top of it , so when they see it under the xray and they open your bag ( they will open your bag if they see anything that looks like ammo ) they see the permit .
    cheers
    les
    308 and imaca like this.