Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By Lauries Hut

Thread: 308 Sub loads

308 Sub loads

Quick thanks to Cigar for his 308 sub load (11.5 gr Trail Boss & Hornady 190 gr Sub X)
    I’d not ever loaded or tested a sub load, but had some Trail Boss and Sub X projectiles. Did a quick forum search and found Cigar’s recommendation.

Just had a weeks hunting in Marlborough where there are a fair few goats amongst the deer.
    Normally we leave them until the last day then knock a couple over, we typically don’t want to have a big bomb up and shake the place up out of respect for the next lot.

So I knocked up a few of the Sub X, so we could do our bit on the pest control front.
    They were awesome. Surprised at the knockdown ability based on some of the feedback I’ve read. They seemed to hit pretty hard to me. Longest shot was 140m most at 80 - 100. Plenty of one shot kills with chest shots. Couple needed a 2nd.
    Very quiet, my mate behind me back 25 meters heard me cycling the bolt, but hadn’t heard the shots!

We had quite an amusing moment when I saw two goats close to camp one afternoon. I backed up and tucked in behind a rock; unloaded my std hunting rounds mag. Put in the subs, loaded; poked my head around the corner and started to line up the goat, when I noticed an orange thing 100m further down the gut. Quick check in the scope confirmed a nice red yearling/spiker. Perfect meat animal close to camp. Back behind the rock, unload the subs, put back the SuperSonics, back around the corner and down goes the spiker. Goats didn’t go too far, so they got a feel for a 150 gr SST going 2800 fps.
    veitnamcam, Bill999, GWH and 7 others like this.