Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 260nelson

Thread: Weight difference

Weight difference

I am reloading 6.5 creedmore, hornady brass, 129 sst, 38g 2209, cci primers. I have trimmed brass and neck sized shells and cleaned primer pockets.
    I though I would weigh check fully loaded ammo. Now what I have found is there is a large variance between of ammo by as much as 6gr.
    I then pulled bullets from the heaviest and lightest and checked the powder weights which were both the same 38gr
    The only thing I never did before reloading was polish brass.
    What would cause the variance in weight. All I can think of is powder residue or shell thickness.
    Your thoughts

Check weigh the cases you pulled and the projectiles to see where the difference is

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 260nelson View Post
    I am reloading 6.5 creedmore, hornady brass, 129 sst, 38g 2209, cci primers. I have trimmed brass and neck sized shells and cleaned primer pockets.
    I though I would weigh check fully loaded ammo. Now what I have found is there is a large variance between of ammo by as much as 6gr.
    I then pulled bullets from the heaviest and lightest and checked the powder weights which were both the same 38gr
    The only thing I never did before reloading was polish brass.
    What would cause the variance in weight. All I can think of is powder residue or shell thickness.
    Your thoughts
    I have only been using Hornady brass until recently, but I also found there is quite a variance between the cases. From what I have seen thus far, the better quality brass is a lot more uniform.

But I can not complain, I got really good service out of the Hornady brass. I have reloaded some them 6 times already and their primer pockets are still holding quite nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

I re weighed my 260rem load and found they were only 1gr max different. But the brass i used was lapua.
    So I'm putting it down to hornady brass
    superdiver and janleroux like this.

It will be the difference in brass weight I would think.

I re weighed my 260rem load and found they were only 1gr max different. But the brass i used was lapua.

check the headstamps...there is about 3 different lots of hornady doing the rounds at present...well there is in .270 and .308 anyway.

Interestingly when i was reloading 7mmRM I weighted a bunch of Hornady and PPU brass to get a handle on the capacity difference. The Hornady brass varied hugely where as the PPU was pretty consistent (but heavier). Seem to recall the PPU had the same velocity with about 3gr less powder? The PPU in my far better brass in my experience!