Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Wet Day

Wet Day

Greetings,
    Great. Another70 mm of rain over night to go with the 50 over the previous three days. Still drizzling and everything is sodden. No chance to do the zeroing and chronographing that is holding several projects up. Plus the road to town and everywhere else is flooded. Looks like being a long day. Still after a cup of coffee out to the shed. Something will stand out that needs doing.
    GPM.
    Burb122, bigbear and Finnwolf like this.

Our roads been closed since yesterday with flood water, now a slip, cant get out one side of farm our concrete bridge is a good meter under water. lost our power couple times last night, very brief. Gale winds last night.
    lucky the rain has eased main river dropping.

Overcast and cooler here after a run of 30C+ days since well before Christmas.

A threat of drizzle right now.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Granpamac -I get out the boiled linseed and do everything with a wooden handle -makes them last a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Granpamac -I get out the boiled linseed and do everything with a wooden handle -makes them last a bit longer
    Now there is an idea. I have a shed full of things with wooden handles but no linseed oil and no way to get to town to get some. Tomorrow perhaps.

Belay that. A quick hunt in Name:  20230111_103119.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  3.28 MBthe shed produced this. Joy
    GPM
    Last edited by grandpamac; 11-01-2023 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Now there is an idea. I have a shed full of things with wooden handles but no linseed oil and no way to get to town to get some. Tomorrow perhaps.
    well I am enjoying a few more days of - sat will be back on tractor and it will be mad - likely 15hr days for awhile -only good part is likely some hay to do- dont really enjoy the early season sticky silage especially the stuff the client has mowed with some old fashioned mower with no conditioners
    Moa Hunter likes this.

well I am enjoying a few more days of - sat will be back on tractor and it will be mad - likely 15hr days for awhile -only good part is likely some hay to do- dont really enjoy the early season sticky silage especially the stuff the client has mowed with some old fashioned mower with no conditioners
    I think I can remember that bottle in the shed at White Street in the late 1950s

Been unseasonably cold here in the CNI. Had the log burner running yesterday avo with all the crap weather flying about. Ended up putting the cast iron camp oven on top of the fire and pumping out some sultana scones....Mmmmmmm!

Our silage was put off almost a month due to 21 days in a row with some sort of dampness involved. Eventually cut and baled second to last day of the year. Expected just over a hundred bales...got 250

Has the silage wrap changed this season??? Never had multiple metres of the wrap unfolding as you cart them over to the stack

And now trying to get out and spray dock, thistles and blackberry. Suns out so prep everything...10 minutes later its pissing down again

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Been unseasonably cold here in the CNI. Had the log burner running yesterday avo with all the crap weather flying about. Ended up putting the cast iron camp oven on top of the fire and pumping out some sultana scones....Mmmmmmm!

Our silage was put off almost a month due to 21 days in a row with some sort of dampness involved. Eventually cut and baled second to last day of the year. Expected just over a hundred bales...got 250

Has the silage wrap changed this season??? Never had multiple metres of the wrap unfolding as you cart them over to the stack

And now trying to get out and spray dock, thistles and blackberry. Suns out so prep everything...10 minutes later its pissing down again
    just normal green wrap ?? no- have not noticed anything like that - I wonder if baler driver had problems with wrapper tension or the knife blades - didnt notice him getting to attend to wrapper a lot ??-

Just spent 4 days wandering around in the clagg on the tops of the Kaweka's. Couldn't see from one snow pole to the next ........ and vowed on my way down to stay low for the next trip 2 days later.
    So long story short, I'm just out from 4 wet days in a lower river valley catchment with water running out the bottom of my shorts. And river crossings were..... well, an exercise in testing experience
    Cant win this summer

Used the last of my ancient "tin" of boiled linseed oil a few weeks ago. So bought some more. Tins are long ago out of fashion it seems
    At $20, plastic must be more expensive than tin

Name:  linseed oil.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  334.7 KB
    7mmsaum, Tahr, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

At my last job the company owned and bottled Andrew chemicals. Just in case anyone doesn't know if it's on a rag and bundled up in a pile it can spontaneously combust.

Make sure you keep any rags separate from your house and shed to save losing everything.

https://fireandemergency.nz/assets/D...inseed-Oil.pdf
    Moa Hunter and Finnwolf like this.

I just melted down 14kg of lead roof flashing into 2 dozen ingots
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Yes..... that's correct RUMPY

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    At my last job the company owned and bottled Andrew chemicals. Just in case anyone doesn't know if it's on a rag and bundled up in a pile it can spontaneously combust.

Make sure you keep any rags separate from your house and shed to save losing everything.

https://fireandemergency.nz/assets/D...inseed-Oil.pdf
    Greetings,
    Yes I was aware of that. The rag I used is spread out on the very wet ground. I did wonder while i was applying the oil how many knew of the danger.

just normal green wrap ?? no- have not noticed anything like that - I wonder if baler driver had problems with wrapper tension or the knife blades - didnt notice him getting to attend to wrapper a lot ??-
    White stuff.

...and I'm not sure if we'll use them again. Have most 10-12 bale equivalents, some 8 bale equivalents and some monster 15 bale equivalents you could feed a family of 8 around. Tractor certainly felt them. Won't be able to sell them as two wide would make the load 3.1m wide

Was also holing a lot of bales, so took his stander upperer off and that stopped. But means I have had to do an awful lot more work picking the buggers up...especially the soft ones