Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Basenjiboy
  • 2 Post By Jhon
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 2 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 1 Post By Croc
  • 1 Post By Sidetrack

Thread: What powder to add to my stock?

What powder to add to my stock?

There’s a bit of powder variety out there at the moment down our way so looking for recommendations as to what to acquire for the future.

Have a good stock of ADI 2206h, 2207, 2208, 2209, 2213sc as well as a pound of W760.

I’ll be be reloading for the following calibers - 222, 223, 22-250, 6.5Grendal, 260 and of course the 270. There maybe a 7x57 in my future.

My thought was to grab some N560 and maybe 8208 to cover some range and another W760. I also had RL7 on my long term wish list but not sure why??

Any thoughts???

P.S. No hoarding involved, not carrying anymore than a kilo of anything.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

I'd say the opposite: you current have 6 different powders for 6 rifles (possibly 7)
    I would be downsizing where a single powder does more than 1 calibre (though possibly not the best powder for both) e.g. AR2209 as a compromise for 6.5G and 7x57?
    lau lau likes this.

I'm of the opp view because I love trying things out in diff calibres, different rifles, different projectiles. If you stick to one or two rifles it makes sense to just hold supplies for the load that works well in each. If you're a glutton for punishment like me, the world is your oyster, go fill yer boots. If you stock a powder and later find no use for it there is likely to be some GC around who will be pleased to take it off your hands. So it all depends on what floats your boat.
    Sidetrack and Croc like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

W748 is handy for .222 and .223
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Bm2 for .222/.223 and save your 760 for a 7x57

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rl 7 is great for .222 not so good for .223

Sidetrack likes this.

more 2213 and 2206 and/or 748
    75/15/10 black powder matters

BSA
    I get good results with H414 in my 7x57

414 = 760

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    more 2213 and 2206 and/or 748
    I have 1.5kg each of the first two. Realistically does this sound not enough?? It’s kinda like “how long is a piece of string” question. Trying to mentally gauge how much 2209 I’ve used up for 50 odd rounds of 270 and equate that to the higher churn smaller calibers. I guess that’ll resolve itself when I’ve figured out what works best in what rifle. And as @Jhon says, powder isn’t wasted, it’s easily passed on to others.

7000 gns of powder in a 500gm tub, easy to work out how far your powder will go. I'd be adding 748 to your list and calling it good. Theres enough in that list to cover all your bases and some. I prefer 748 for the 222 and the 223 cos it simply works, and metres well.
    techno retard and Sidetrack like this.

Agree with Jhon - variety is the spice of strife! I’ve only got 1 centrefire (223) but have CFE223, ADI Benchmark 1 & 2208 and IMR 4198; projectiles from .30 to .60gr. Have as much fun figuring what doesn’t work as what does - it’s fun!
    Sidetrack likes this.

Have added a another W760 and agree, a couple of 748’s would be good. That’ll take care of the budget at this stage. Definitely dropped N560 off the wish list as it’s taken over two years to come back into stock and who knows when it will again plus the price is frankly ridiculous now.

BM2 is an interesting one and probably useful, and also along with 8208 seems to be popular with the Grendal crowd.

Will be interesting to see if there is a supply improvement this year, but not counting on it. Primers are going to be my limitation but hopefully have enough to get on with things and still help the odd person out if needed.
    charliehorse likes this.