Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Pommy
  • 2 Post By SmokeyJason

Thread: Speer 30 grain TNT Green .224

Speer 30 grain TNT Green .224

Anyone have load data (or any ideas) for Speer TNT Green 30 grain to use in a 223? Wrote to Speer who tell me the bullet is for a 222 and can’t help…. The guys who sold me the ammo say “she’ll be right mate”…. I’m just a curious reloader…. What could possibly go wrong? All opinions gratefully received.

ADI has load data for 35 grain bullets, compare 222 meet somewhere in the middle.

As for what could go wrong? A lot ruin your rifle, lose fingers eyes…

It might not like top velocity either.the 50grn spsx of old was good to 3000fps but to soft/fragile for faster.proceed with caution. Now if backed up to wall and HAD to create data.i would look at charge weight and projectile weights for nearest you can find and continue the line ....eg in a lot of bigger cases ten grains bullet is about two grains less powder... Different in smaller case but if put on graph it's still near as damit to a straight line.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The next weight higher projectile wise is NORMALLY safe bet as it will be low charge you might even run out of case space. Proceed with caution

A 223 can spin a bullet much, much faster than a 222. That will be why Speer say not to use it in 223 - in case it comes apart from being fired several hundred fps quicker out of a fast twist barrel that it was never intended for.

You'd get away with it, if you had a 1:12 twist and kept the load mild to emulate a 222. But I wouldn't trust the seller over Speer. Especially not unless he's promised to replace your suppressor if he's wrong.
    Micky Duck and Croc like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

definately test without suppressor on to begin with....

Thank you all for your input - I'm now scared witless. I think I'll just put the box of projectiles aside and if any of you have a 222 and are passing through Nelson let me know and your'e welcome to them. Thanks again for the advice!

what powder have you got???
    ask if someone wants to swap for something heavier.

Ah if only. As I could use it in the 22 hornet.
    shooternz and Micky Duck like this.

Ive got ADI Benchmark 1 & 2208 and IMR 4198. The 2208 has been great for 55 grain and I’m about to start on some lighter bullets. If I understand correctly the Benchmark and 4198 should suit 40, 45, 50 and 52 grain better. I started reloading in December so am experimenting which has been great fun. I’ve got a Remington 700 1:12 24” which is also interesting. Have some 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades which say minimum 1:10 which I’ve loaded with 2208 (23.5 grain) and looking forward to trying out too.

Just in case anyone is curious, the 223 50gr Barnes Varmint Grenades from my Remington 700 1:12 24” were in excess of 1 MOA. To be honest my new Hornady group analysis App doesn’t extend to the spread LOL. Interesting strikes too - sideways at 50 yards.

If anyone’s passing through Nelson stop by and you can have the Barnes VG’s and Speer 30’s for the price of a yarn.

Yeah those VG's are lead free. I think they're compressed powdered copper and tin inside which is much less dense. So it ends up much longer than a 50gr lead core bullet. Longer bullets need faster twist barrels for stability. Hence why they were going sideways
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.