Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: What in the world?

I would measure the shoulder headspace on an unfired round. I’ve had hornady brass before that was way too short (like 0.7mm!) underspec when brand new. Would separate or go very close to it on second or third firing. Weights were all over the shop too.

Horrible stuff, if I had to use hornady brass I’d probably quit reloading. With 7mm rem mag Norma is likely your only decent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    I would measure the shoulder headspace on an unfired round. I’ve had hornady brass before that was way too short (like 0.7mm!) underspec when brand new. Would separate or go very close to it on second or third firing. Weights were all over the shop too.

Horrible stuff, if I had to use hornady brass I’d probably quit reloading. With 7mm rem mag Norma is likely your only decent choice.
    Yeah I think ive Officially used Federal for the last time aswell last week hornady and federal are both now on my shit list

A use ether norma or lapua depending on caliber and tell the few mates i reload for the same

I have experienced a similar problem myself when shooting in fine misty rain, dimples on the case and a partial case head separation but no excess pressure signs. It was tiny water droplets which prevented the case from adhering to chamber wall when fired. I dried the chamber and ammo and the problem immediately disappeared. A simple fix to a simple problem!

case head seperation, the reason the case has collapsed in the shoulders is when the front of the case becomes detached from the rim, it becomes part of the mass that is being forced out the barrel by the expanding gasses.
    it is pushed forward untill the neck seals against the start of the rifled section of the barrel the gap inbetween the case and the chamber wall becomes a low pressure spot and the case collapses as the expanding gas is forced out the barrel, trying to force the brass case out the barrel. thats why it often takes some effort to remove the front half of the case, as it is wedged into the rifling. it is quite common to see.
    Greg
    Gkp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I have experienced a similar problem myself when shooting in fine misty rain, dimples on the case and a partial case head separation but no excess pressure signs. It was tiny water droplets which prevented the case from adhering to chamber wall when fired. I dried the chamber and ammo and the problem immediately disappeared. A simple fix to a simple problem!
    reminds me of the "field proof test" for a 303, was to coat the case of a standard cartridge with oil then fire to simulate an over pressure load.
    Greg

@Bagheera this may be of interest

Thanks mate !

I'm used to knowing the answers so this is a bit of a puzzle for me ...

That's a dooozy photo on the first page, eh ?

My vote is that the case was sized too short and separated, then under inertia jammed forward into the shoulder.
    I dont think pressure of gas outside the case could collapse it into dimples because it would be balanced by pressure inside.
    The haze on the separated base suggests the body has been sized a long way back towards the belt.

Sizing too short has happened to me when the jaws of the case holder on the co-ax press dont open properly and the base hangs up too high so it come out about .200" short. Usually pretty obvious. Maybe you could get that if you used the wrong case holder like a 308 holder and the case went partway into it.
    Or was this case actually fired in a 300 win mag chamber which is 0.160" longer ?

If the case was sized too short then measuring the two separated pieces should give < 2.500".

Anyway it's best to go to the reloader first. He might know straight away what it is.
    Last edited by Bagheera; 30-06-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.