Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What's going on here??

Greetings again,
    Looking at those velocities again the 136 fps loss of velocity is HUGE. It is equivalent to dropping the charge by two and a half grains. It is really important to find out what the problem, and there is a problem, is and correct it if the rifle is to be used at longer range. So please more information is needed starting with the powder charge and how it was measured and with what. What was different between the start and end. What was the chronograph and how was it set up. In no particular order I would suspect:
    Chronograph error due to bright sunlight or varying set up.
    Inaccurate powder measurement.
    Loose suppressor.
    Cartridges left in sun.
    And many, many more.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Nathan F, Danny and RugerM77 like this.

I would count it only as around 80 fps reduction overall. (That last shot I would consider a chorny anomoly until I retested it and found different)

Link
    Like 7mmsaum alluded to, some chronies will give varying results depending on whether its clear skies or overcast. Assuming his reloading process was good to go and the data shown was all for same charge weight then I'd validate at range using an MV of around 2480fps (close enough to the average of first group which from the data is what I'd interpret as the most reliable). Sing out if you want me to send you data for what your drop should be at desired range. Cheers

Got him to measure the drop at 200m and it was 18cm so that worked out to about 2380fps~ which is closer to the last shots. Only a pro chrono so not very trusting
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

What is the shot order of those last 3 shots?

bottom line here...its a short barrel and a slow load....400 meters is a long way away...he will NEED to be using rangefinder with somewhere around 30" of drop..dialing will probably be needed too..... he might just have to stalk closer..300 is much more achievable.

Walking my rifle
    its your chronograph, thats why i switched to a magnetospeed. bit not worth it if you not shooting long range.
    My Prochrono used to drive me mad as the light changed, there are tricks you can use to make it better but easiest is work out approx where you are at 1350fps down range and shoot to test the drop, then backcalculate the speed.
    dannyb likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Got him to measure the drop at 200m and it was 18cm so that worked out to about 2380fps~ which is closer to the last shots. Only a pro chrono so not very trusting
    Starting to look as though it is a chrony problem in the bright light which I have seen before. The clincher would be the load. Hodgdon has velocities for a 15 inch barrel which should be close enough for 16 inches. It would seem that it is a light load that is most accurate which might indicate a bedding problem. Something to look into.
    Regards Grandpamac.

it a couple of steps above a 30/30.....lets be completely honest....not that much faster...so is it really a 400yard rifle???

Link
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the difference between 2480fps and 2380fps at 200m is only about 1/4 MOA (weather and atmospherics aside). Looking at the group in the first picture it doesn't look to be holding anywhere near that mate so measuring drop at 200m and making a velocity assumption based on that (where the rifle is not grouping well enough to give a "yes" or "no" between your two potential velocity ranges) may not be the most accurate. I'd be looking to do so at his max intended hunting range and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the difference between 2480fps and 2380fps at 200m is only about 1/4 MOA (weather and atmospherics aside). Looking at the group in the first picture it doesn't look to be holding anywhere near that mate so measuring drop at 200m and making a velocity assumption based on that (where the rifle is not grouping well enough to give a "yes" or "no" between your two potential velocity ranges) may not be the most accurate. I'd be looking to do so at his max intended hunting range and adjust accordingly.
    Thats what I thought that first group looks like 1.75 inches or close to it, the error is too great to be able to make a calculation about velocity

sneakywaza I got
    Ok so I should tell him to relax basically.
    Maybe just tell him to leave it at home and get something suitable for South Island mountain country. Can't go past a .270 Win if he expects to knock down big stags at 400. Shorty .308? yeah/nahh.

For the record, I only hunt mountain country, and having used a shorty .308 to knock off a few animals at distance, quite frankly my .243 gives me more decisive killing. Everybody has their own take, and ethics.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes and sight the friggin thing in couple of inches high at hundy.....makes heap more sense.
    Old rule of thumb for projectiles going at between 2400 and 2600 fps 3 inches high at 100 equals dead on at 200 and 3 inches low at 230 yards, so basically point and shoot to 250.
    Micky Duck likes this.

If it was my rifle I'd be concerned too. I'd follow GPM's advice. Aside from that the chrono could be the issue, certainly if the overhead conditions changed. MD has a good point as well. Zero 2 to 3 inch's high at 100. For me the issue is having confidence in the rifle and load more than anything else. Cheers and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you have 136 ftps extreme spread....what is the issue???? unless your shooting for gnats nuts at 600 yards you do not have an issue.
    do they group ok??? yes= no problem
    ducking as dannyb reaches for his jandles again.

the last 3 are 94 fps apart...again where is issue???
    That’s a massive issue. Hi don’t have even spread of more than 30 fps. That’s over 3 hunting rifles. If the speeds not consistent what’s the point ?
    superdiver likes this.