Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Who can figure this one out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanhope View Post
    We obviously have different opinions on were and were not to shoot. To me its a clean kill, with no meat damage and the contamination levels are seriously declined.. Attachment 138856 clean carcasses in the chill
    They look good, but why have you hung them from the back legs ? All that does is put the primal's under tension with the weight of the front half and make them tougher than they would be if hung relaxed.
    Hang them from the heads, so just leave them hanging from the head after skinning front to rear.
    Why use a fierce cannon like a 7mm mag for head shots ? That is 22 250 country surely ?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    They look good, but why have you hung them from the back legs ? All that does is put the primal's under tension with the weight of the front half and make them tougher than they would be if hung relaxed.
    Hang them from the heads, so just leave them hanging from the head after skinning front to rear.
    Why use a fierce cannon like a 7mm mag for head shots ? That is 22 250 country surely ?
    I guess head down is not such an issue with beef?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Strict guidelines is the short answer to your first and yes 243 is man man gun for that work but enjoy taking my 7mm also cheers
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feed back. Took my 7mm apart and found that the front of the stock was rubbing against my barrel? Put it back together and seems to be floating fine now. What would have caused that?

The action / barrel assembly has just gone in slightly off (not in correctly). You wouldnt be the first not to notice that and then firm up the screws. But thats the good news. Fix that and you might find its all fine

If it doesnt my bet is on your mounts too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I guess head down is not such an issue with beef?

Normally beef are cut and hung in quarters quite quickly. The best hang for everything is from the rib cage / brisket. Remember how the Game meat Chillers always hung animals from a front leg or head, never by the back legs.

MSL

Who can figure this one out

Prime beef at the affco plant I worked at was hung by rear legs, split down the middle at into the chiller

Tikka7mm08 likes this.

I understood you hang by back legs so fluid/blood drains away from rear portion as that’s where the most meat is if it were to go off. I’ve never hung anything from the front legs. Would feel weird to me if I did it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    I understood you hang by back legs so fluid/blood drains away from rear portion as that’s where the most meat is if it were to go off. I’ve never hung anything from the front legs. Would feel weird to me if I did it.

If they are hung in a chiller they wont be going off fast. Stock were always hung by the back legs for convenience of the hanging points that come ready made, to bleed - (remember tally slaughter-men just cut throats and hung sheep up) and also gutting is easier because the paunch sits on the diaphragm whereas if they are gutted hung front up there is pressure on the belly skin and the guts trying to push out. If gutted on the ground like we do with shot game, hanging by the head is much better and gets all the blood out of the windpipe area and makes wiping out the pelvis and splitting the hip sockets easy

At the freezing works cooling floor they hung the lamb carcasses by the crutch on a special gambrel so that the hind legs were slightly bent and were bearing no weight, the theory was that the leg meat would be more tender, dunno if it worked... it was an export only thing.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

It sounds like you have a stock bedding issue. If the your barrel is under tension with the fore end of your stock you can get results like that. Make sure the barrel is free floating.
    there are only two things guns fear
    rust and politicians

I have seen this numerous times on the t3 and first place to look is that the recoil lug is In properly and second unbolt the scope and check the base screws as I have seen a few come in with no loctite on the screws and work loose.
    I use the blue stuff.
    If its neither of those your in trouble or your scope is a vortex

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!