Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why…? Rings marks/scoring brass after FL resizing?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    A die will only give you longitudinal scoring, not circumferential. DEF suspect it's chamber machining marks.
    Greetings,
    Another vote for a rough chamber. The case springs back a little after firing so you don't see marks on the case until you re size the case. The marks on the rom and in the rim recess are from the extractor. Some details and history of the rifle would help. Get a gunsmith to check and polish the chamber.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Woody likes this.

A die will only give you longitudinal scoring, not circumferential. DEF suspect it's chamber machining marks.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    Another vote for a rough chamber. The case springs back a little after firing so you don't see marks on the case until you re size the case. The marks on the rom and in the rim recess are from the extractor. Some details and history of the rifle would help. Get a gunsmith to check and polish the chamber.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    This and this above^^^^

Even if your die does have machining marks in it if it was causing the marks on the brass they would be lenghtwise on the case.
    Got a photo of a new unfired case that has been sized?
    Photo inside die?
    Photo inside chamber?

Really looks to me like you have a rough chamber and sizing your brass is highlighting all the highpoints in the brass once it is formed in the chamber.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Rough chamber
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese....

if you have the LEE case trimmer set and use your cordless drill to do the deburring etc...poke a case in the holder end ,put in drill and give it a polish using a bit of choreboy cloth or fine steel wool, this will make it all nice n shiney with tiny tiny wee rings around case...then resize it and let us have another look... that SHOULD show up whats the issue....and as others have said the die could have crap in it from factory,,,drop it in ice cream container and cover with 2 stroke petrol!!!! shock horror,meths or white spirits or thinners might be cheaper.....get cotton bud and give inside a dung out,remove spnindle and give the bulgy bit/expander ball a polish using the drill and fine wet n dry then steel wool while you are at it,will make it slip in and out like a well greased PRI#* up a slack fan*# makes life much easier and not so hard on your gritted teeth when resizing.
    GuyDowding likes this.

I'd be giving the die a really good clean out before sending it back. I would think it is more likely to be chamber machining marks imprinting on the case that are then highlighted when the case is forced into the die.

Right not what I thought then good! Next Will be interested in what the issue iswhen you get to the bottom of it

Quote Originally Posted by GuyDowding View Post
    Hey, just put some new and once fired brass through die which had no blemishes or ring in it ect before hand but once re sized can see them straight away.. i can see machining rings on inside of die and for whatever reason i seam to need to use a fair bit if pressure with my press..can be easy to jam cases in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I'd be inclined to have a closer look at the die before sending it back. I'd think it is more likely to be chamber machining marks imprinting on the case and then being highlighted when the case is forced through the die.

Has this always been the norm. If not what are you doing differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ... give the bulgy bit/expander ball a polish using the drill and fine wet n dry then steel wool while you are at it..
    I'm not sure what relevance this has to the outside-of-case marks. Also, from what I've seen of the smoothness of most expander balls, this may roughen up the inside of the neck, not improve it. At the very least, you'll be then guessing as to how much the case neck diameter has been changed from this arbitrary modification.

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the outside-of-case marks. Also, from what I've seen of the smoothness of most expander balls, this may roughen up the inside of the neck, not improve it. At the very least, you'll be then guessing as to how much the case neck diameter has been changed from this arbitrary modification.
    absolutely nothing to do with case marks...EVERYTHING to do with ease of slipping expander ball in and out of case...the OP said has big effort when using press...
    by using fine sandpaper to take the sharp edges off expander ball and smooth it off/polish it without making it smaller the ease of use is increased by a HUGE amount if the expander ball was a tad on rough side to begin with....

seems your experience looking at balls differs from mine....
    257weatherby and chainsaw like this.

Thanks all, have played around a bit with unfired, once fired, different press, different lube all with same results of getting these ring marks but who knows ??

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    seems your experience looking at balls differs from mine....
    Clearly ;-)
    I'm only going on my experiences with 30+ factory die sets. If upstrokes were gritty, it almost invariably pointed to inadequate lubrication as neck walls aren't thick unlike bodies/webs. It's pretty rare I use any expander balls these days.

The OP didn't mention excessive force needed on the up-stroke so I assumed he meant the usual downstroke force.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyDowding View Post
    Thanks all, have played around a bit with unfired, once fired, different press, different lube all with same results of getting these ring marks but who knows ??

That die only half made(rough as guts)
    Sideshow likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Yep, total shocker. What brand??