Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Winchester primer fail

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    @AndrewH do you know the batch number that fucked up my bolt face? If so then let Grasshopper know.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Don't know the batch no unfortunately. They were Magnum primers with a 20%ish failure rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, mine is standard large primers WLR. I have check the bolt faces of the rifles that I have fired them and do not find any gas cutting.

Years ago , I had the same thing happen , in 223 calibre , I was using start loads from the current ADI manual , and Federal small rifle primers , had them blow out just like the pic , happened on a Sako 75 & a TC Contender , and up till then , I had never had a problem with my reloads , I thought it may be rifle , no , and then brass , used Win & then lapua .
    Then talking to a mate that run the relaoding gear for Belmont , when I said I had problems with my 223 reloads , 1st thing he said are you using Fed , he said they where a known issue , and as soon as I stopped using Federal small rifle primers , never had issues with my 223 reloads .

So , now , I NEVER buy fed small , unless I want to run it in pistol ammo , 9mm & 38spl etc .
    Opps , and YES the ammo gas cut the bolt face on both rifles , just like a small gas axe would .

Later Chris

Chris, let me know if you are interested in buying my Winchester Large Rifle primers? Or anyone for that matter. Now seriously, up till now, I have no problem but all these posted just gave me goosebumps. As a matter of fact, I have just primed more brass with them.

Ive got some Russian LR primers you can have !!!
    A mate gave me some to try , loaded up using my std 308 load , and they didnot pierce , BUT they totally flattened , so NO Russian primers for ME , least not in rifles .

Later Chris

I use Fed small and Fed small match and Morum small primers.
    Ditto for Fed large match.

Have previously used Win small and large, Fed large and magnum.
    Never had any issues with this.

So judging by the comments here, no one should ever use Fed, Win and Morum primers ever again.

Good luck with that...

Also changing primers but keeping the load the same is silly, the dynamics have totally changed, seems the primer was stronger or the flame bigger. Should really start the load development from scratch.
    Welcome to Sako club.

@dogmatix, sounds like you will have to shift to CCI primers!

Well, i think federal match primers are extremely dangerous. In fact i think the best approach for everyone is to give me what federal match primers you have left so i can dispose of the safely. Someone just raided the stash and in a weak moment they managed to pry some from us

On a slightly more serious note I may be convinced to swap some federal large rifle magnum match primers for some federal small rifle match or large rifle match primers...

I had a couple of cci lr do it to me a month ago,tho its possible the brass had been previously cut from a primer fail as it was second hand to me.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    @dogmatix, sounds like you will have to shift to CCI primers!

Well, i think federal match primers are extremely dangerous. In fact i think the best approach for everyone is to give me what federal match primers you have left so i can dispose of the safely. Someone just raided the stash and in a weak moment they managed to pry some from us

On a slightly more serious note I may be convinced to swap some federal large rifle magnum match primers for some federal small rifle match or large rifle match primers...
    Haha... nice try!
    And besides, I'm down to my last 1400 Fed Match Small, 1200 Fed Match Large and 1800 Fed small, its making me nervous!
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Haha... nice try!
    And besides, I'm down to my last 1400 Fed Match Small, 1200 Fed Match Large and 1800 Fed small, its making me nervous!
    More primers are in the country, don't stress, if you want to stress look at your powder stocks......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    More primers are in the country, don't stress, if you want to stress look at your powder stocks......
    Whew!!! got something right then
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I'm using Murom small rifle primers, no problems.
    I heard it was their pistol primers that had the issue, hence Reloaders in Auckland won't sell the pistol primers, only small and large rifle.
    Good to know but winchester just lost by meager business. A new bolt is way out of my budget

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Awesome news! Finally the back order might get filled!
    Stocked up on powder for the time being at least.

sneakywaza I got
    So, you can supply some fed 215's to a bloke in need?