Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: You told me so! (subsonic centrefire)

Subsonics vs reliable expansion. I see a market where people "need" explosive bullets to help expansion ..... O-:> ... but it would not sound very subsonic and might get you all in trouble with Cindy.

Name:  NEWSHUB-SUPPLIED-jacinda-ardern-china-prisoners-1120.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  123.7 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    These are what you want, bore rider sub projectiles. https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...YGpFoBgLaBD_av

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Right now, that sounds great.
    those are the full power 325gr rounds though , haven't tried the sub x yet on a live target yet .... those are 420 gr and may be less 'explosive' at the lower speeds .
    born to hunt - forced to work

Pengy and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Is it be worth talking to a local dealer to see what the cost would be to import projectiles?
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Banned
    They are machined brass or copper so prob no different to LeHigh. Did you look at the OutLaw State link ?

@tikka those wasps are a bastard alright once they click onto the protein stage.

I gave up trying to hunt about this time last year after being chased out of the nelson lakes NP by the yellow and black huas !!

This year I'm gunna try and hunt high for the next month or so.

Also i have just ordered some vespex so will put it out round here to do my bit for the wasp wipeout !!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I’ve had the best results and the most amount of damage with the Lehigh Defence 168gr CF and 194gr ME on big reds and 200 lb pigs. They set the standard for 30 cal subs and the petals are razor sharp. Me and a mate have used these out to 280m on deer.

Here’s some I recovered from some reds.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    There was someone selling them in Australia. can bullets still be privately imported into NZ?

In my experience Subs are for well placed heart, spine, neck or head shots ONLY

Unlike a 22, 30 cal subsonics will destroy whole sections of the spine and skull resulting in an instant death but heart shots will take a few moments to drop the animal.

If you don't think you can do that reliably use only high velocity.

Haven't tried 45/70 Leighi or anything fancy only lead projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    after using 420gr fn cast lead subs out of the 45/70 on a couple heavy wooled sheep ( which i am told is the hardest thing to penetrate ) and seeing big hole in and big hole out from about 25m the biggest worry is having something to stop that chunk of lead. yeah wont be as quiet as a 30 cal but this is a round that i would happily shoot through shoulder bones on a big deer and expect a pass through shot. this load was the magical 1000ft/lbs at the muzzle.
    You'r just trying to talk me into buying one aren't you

MB
    Just a general comment. I agree with what everyone is saying about shot placement with subsonic rounds, but my main reason for posting was to talk about Hornady Sub-X which are literally meant to be a magic bullet, i.e. a purpose designed hunting round which expands at subsonic speeds to allow for more leeway in shot placement. They simply don't do what they say on the tin.
    veitnamcam, tikka, mikee and 2 others like this.

Before this newfangled smokeless powder and copper jacketed bullet craze came along lumps of lead travelling at 12 to 1500 fps seemed to do the job quite efficiently.
    At subsonic speeds a 30 cal bullet has about the same potential energy as the 22 magnum but 5 or 6 times the mass so if it doesn't expand or hit something solid it will trundle quite happily through an animal and sail into the distance.
    Increase the bullet size to 40 or 45 and give it a large meplat (flat nose) or better a hollow point and energy transfer is much better but it will never match a supersonic impact for tissue disruption and carnage.
    I shoot a bit of lead at things and run everything at above the speed of sound. My current favourite is a single shot 38/55 using Robert's flat nose bullets with a mv of 1425 fps.
    The report unsupressed is no worse than a 22 lr probably a bit quieter.
    I think a different mind set and expectation is needed when deciding to go sub and a thorough understanding of trajectory and anatomy helps still don't expect to see instant kills unless you are very lucky with shot placement.
    john m, 300CALMAN and Moa Hunter like this.

Not trying to be a smartarse here, but my experience with the 300BLK and subs was about the same using 208gr A max and 220 SMK.

Because you have to get so close to the animals (due to the rainbow trajectory) I would generally head shoot them or when these shots didn't present themselves I'd go for both shoulders.

Personally I wouldn't let that one experience put you off.

Using subs for me was more about my hearing and the dogs comfort. If you are expecting supersonic results you will need to spend some $$ and use the Lehighs.
    tikka and berg243 like this.
    Warm Barrels!

Jesus that one looks brutal...

Name:  50892518416_739eec4c06_b-01.jpeg
Views: 364
Size:  50.3 KB