Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Advice on .22magnum

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Suppress the .223 since you already have one. Give the Mrs the .22LR and buy yourself a .17MHR (suppressed) as well ... that's what I did ... oh yeah - I also bought a .204 (suppressed) for really long range varminting (200-400 yards). Also - do the triggers on them all - that way they wont run away when you clip them because your accuracy will go through the roof.
    Here's what I shoot >>>
    20 > 80 yards = .22LR (usually my subsonic)
    50 > 150 yards = .17HMR (suppressed)
    100 > 200 yards = .223 (lightweight suppressor for walk around)
    100 > 400 yards = .204 (heavier weight suppressor for varminting (drive or sit))
    ... but I also like owning firearms!
    Keep safe in the hills.
    kiwi39 likes this.

Well I will go against the grain as favour the .22mag over the .17hrm, I have both, (a semi and bolt in each, plus a pump .22 mag) depending on the type of shooting, I favour the 22 mag for tighter cover and rushed shots, also found that its kills larger cats, hares with a poorly placed rushed shot, two and half times the bullet weight makes a difference. The new 30 and 33 gr bullets for the mag are a game changer, not as much gap between the two (.17hrm) as there once was.
    The .17hrm is a crazy accurate little round, but I have been disappointed many times on large hares well hit in the front shoulder and still crawl away a few yards.
    I can shoot ten round groups that will fit in a ten cent coin, but unless its open country with short grass, and plenty of time for a good rest or to use tri pod, I cant take advantage of the .17hrm. Off the shoulder shots I take the shotgun or .22mag every time.

Neither have been used since I bought a .17 hornet, Talk about a fun small game round.

If you realy want a long range bunny busting center fire have a look at the .204.
    My .222 and .223 havn't been used since I got the two above, The only .22 center fire I use now is the 22.250 love that noisy bastard,

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Well I will go against the grain as favour the .22mag over the .17hrm, I have both, (a semi and bolt in each, plus a pump .22 mag) depending on the type of shooting, I favour the 22 mag for tighter cover and rushed shots, also found that its kills larger cats, hares with a poorly placed rushed shot, two and half times the bullet weight makes a difference. The new 30 and 33 gr bullets for the mag are a game changer, not as much gap between the two (.17hrm) as there once was.
    The .17hrm is a crazy accurate little round, but I have been disappointed many times on large hares well hit in the front shoulder and still crawl away a few yards.
    I can shoot ten round groups that will fit in a ten cent coin, but unless its open country with short grass, and plenty of time for a good rest or to use tri pod, I cant take advantage of the .17hrm. Off the shoulder shots I take the shotgun or .22mag every time.

Neither have been used since I bought a .17 hornet, Talk about a fun small game round.

If you realy want a long range bunny busting center fire have a look at the .204.
    My .222 and .223 havn't been used since I got the two above, The only .22 center fire I use now is the 22.250 love that noisy bastard,
    Quite a collection by the sounds of it!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post

Yea got more than I can use to be honest, but divided in two country's, also lots off nice rifles showed up a cheep prices when Canada did away with the gun rego.
    Getting an import permit set up, so I can bring in sum of my nicer rifles and flog off sum of the ones I have here.
    lots of gopher hunting in Alberta Canada so fun to play around with small cals.

Quote Originally Posted by DXROLLA View Post
    Cheers for the advice, suppress the .223 it is I might upgrade the .22lr as the missus wants one as well, so the next question is if im spending the money do i go .22lr or .22mag haha hmmmm
    Go 22 - 250.

Quote Originally Posted by DXROLLA View Post
    Cheers for the advice, suppress the .223 it is I might upgrade the .22lr as the missus wants one as well, so the next question is if im spending the money do i go .22lr or .22mag haha hmmmm
    Go .22mag! I couldn't love mine more! I have a Marlin 982vs .22mag suppresed (from GunWorks) and with a Harris Bipod it is a machine.

Name:  IMAG0330.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  776.6 KB
    Gunzrrr and grunzter like this.

Another vote for the 22mag. Here's mine its a marlin 882ssv in a boyds stock with a nikko stirling 3-10 x 40 nighteater on top. Wallabies, rabbits etc no problems

Name:  IMG_1145.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  1.04 MB
    grunzter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post

Faark yeh! I'm jealous

i own a .17HMR which i have used to shoot alot of Hares, i have also shot alot with .22lr & subs, HMR is far superior.

New to this forum but thought i'd share my 2cents worth, I've got a Stirling 22 Mag, very accurate and also does the job very well, have even taken out goats at 120m using TNT explosive rounds, accidentally had grabbed the wrong ammunition one day and shot a rabbit in the head with one at 80m.. needless to say the other side of the head was missing.. my mate has a AK in .223 which is quite load in comparison to my .22 mag both are suppressed, the .22 mag has more of a 'crack' but still doesn't seem to bother the rabbits either way.. just my 0.2c