Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best CCI rounds

Quote Originally Posted by ecw23able View Post
    I really want to give wallabies a go near rotorua makes but being public land need a centre fire for them.

Aside from the past control aspect I've heard wallabies are edible. Do you eat them or just give em to the dogs
    you can get a doc permit for wallaby shooting letting you use .22 or shotgun
    SlowElliot likes this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    you can get a doc permit for wallaby shooting letting you use .22 or shotgun
    Yep, small game permit. Just go into your local office, you need to have a good idea of where you are going as they draw boundaries on your permit

Hey guys.

Just after advice on best rounds for small game. I mainly stick with CCI for the 22LR and wandering what people's opinions arenon stingers vs minimag vs velocitor. For rabbits and possums.

Apologies in advice if this is a repeat thread.
    Best?
    Do you mean best knockdown or accuracy?

CCI tend to cycle in my semi better than other brands and have better ignition.
    However I found their Subs hard to chamber in my bolt action CZ.
    I've never had a rifle that liked the super fast velocity .22 ammo, ie CCI Stingers and Velocitors or the Aguila Hiper stuff. All sprayed like a #00 buckshot pattern.

Accuracy is specific to each rifle though.

My current .22, a semi auto AR is real fussy and only likes the stupidly expensive CCI 'suppressor' HPs and the nice and cheap CCI 'standard' round noses.
    Lucky to same POI, so I have a hunting and a plinking round.
    Frogfeatures likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Pretty sure Mototapu island has roos
    Nope, DOC got rid of them. Still on Kawau thought, pretty sure it's 99% no hunting.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Sub's all the way, quiet , effective and once you learn their drop at different ranges you can pull some very long shots off.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Yep, small game permit. Just go into your local office, you need to have a good idea of where you are going as they draw boundaries on your permit
    so you can get a small game permit for a 22rimfire to hunt wallaby. Does the permit specify what can be hunted

so you can get a small game permit for a 22rimfire to hunt wallaby. Does the permit specify what can be hunted
    Unsure about wallaby but yes it lists what you plan on shooting and any special conditions. Got one recently for possums, hares, rabbits Canada geese in the Eyre mountains. Think it is a case of being polite and respectful and it shouldn't be a problem

My experiences with cci .22lr in my cz452:

HP Subs- my favorite, does the business on bunnies and shoots well in my gun

Standard velocity- less drop at range by a smidge, still drops bunnies ok but I kind of like the HP as a bit of insurance. Pretty much same accuracy wise so far as I can tell

Suppressor- this one is a 45gn sub at a little bit slower speed. Not really a fan, more drop than both of the above. No noticeable difference in hitting power really. Too expensive and shoots no better in my rifle, possibly worse at longer ranges

Velocitor- Only got these for when I did not have a center fire available and wanted to do some close range goats. Did the job, but pretty dang noisy. Have not really shot groups or anything.

Conclusion: I use a .22lr because with subs they are nice and quiet. Want more power, get a bigger gun. Find subs that shoot nice in your gun and go take down some bunnies!

Cheers guys that helps.

I might get a pack of HP subs and also a pack of velocitor just to have on hand.

As for the DOC permit next time im in rotorua I might go have a play.

Cheers guys that helps.

I might get a pack of HP subs and also a pack of velocitor just to have on hand.

As for the DOC permit next time im in rotorua I might go have a play.
    Just fyi
    You can get one by emailing doc,but takes longer and there's a bit of back forth as you have to sign a form scan it and email it back.

Sent from my SM-A500Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SlowElliot View Post
    Just fyi
    You can get one by emailing doc,but takes longer and there's a bit of back forth as you have to sign a form scan it and email it back.

Sent from my SM-A500Y using Tapatalk
    in that case I have a bit of time somight just email it. It'll be easier.

Just tried out the subsonic segmented rounds. Shoot the same POI as the standard CCI subs, and seem to feed a bit better in the CZ455.
    Big bonus is the lack of ricochet's after having the projectile pass through a rabbit - I've had this on numerous occasions with the CCI subs, and while I check the firing zone and know it's not an issue, I'd still rather not have it happen (I'm shooting in orchards with farm sheds and machinery around).
    Effects on a rabbit - really quite messy. The projectile clearly breaks into 3 segments, as witnessed by three separate wound channels, each roughly the size left by a standard CCI sub.
    On a side note, I recently dug out the clay backstop on the .22lr 25m range, and 95% of the recovered CCI subs showed absolutely no deformation. It seems on the whole, that they operate very much like the round nose version.

remembered the camera this time.

in
    Name:  IMG_20171024_205737-1.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  377.5 KB

and out
    Name:  IMG_20171024_205816-1.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  427.6 KB
    FatLabrador likes this.

I like CCI std , its cheap , and very accurate in that price range , I just measured a tgt I have on the wall , have 3x 5rd groups , at 100yds , all around 20mm centers , Opps me caliper is bloody stuck in metric , it is not as good as expensive match ammo , but then its nowhere near as expensive either , it has the odd flyer , but again its not match ammo , I brought mine when it was on special at $399 for 5k , as I am stuck in the past , when rimfire ammo was all $39 for a brick , and not $120 .

CCI segmented subs are my personal choice for possums. Expensive stuff but they pay for themselves very quickly, if my aim is off the petals usually guarantee the kill. Shot possums out to 150m with them and they have still expanded properly which was very surprising.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child