Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree1723Likes

Thread: Bird Predator Control

We get the odd weasel around locally but..

last week i got a weasel, tuesday a rat, wed a rat and weasel, today a weasel...

I actually dont understand trapping really. I have a line of 6 traps along about a km stockwater race. I changed the eggs a couple of days ago apart from one trap [in the middle of the line] which has caught nothing in the year or so its been there with the view i am going to shift it. I am walking to the trap i am going to shift and the flagging tape isnt showing which indicates the trap has been tripped. There is a weasel in the trap with the egg that is way past its due date.. How does that work ? I will leave the trap there i think lol.
    Dundee, time out, Sparrow and 1 others like this.

Here you go fellas

Catch of the day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Dundee, time out and Sparrow like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I bet he is only 300mm long now
    Dundee, time out and kukuwai like this.

Did the estuary lines with my boys yesterday, my 4 1/2 year old has started to enjoy being hands on and does well considering its just over 4km, being chief egg smasher keeps him interested too!
    Name:  IMG_0263.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  1.81 MB
    Dundee, time out, kukuwai and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    I bet he is only 300mm long now
    Hahaha Yep

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    time out likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Good stuff Sparrow.

Anyone caught a ginger rat ? One of the ones i got today fair glowed when it was in sunlight, i had never seen one like that before..

These buggars look ginger to me @sore head stoat - a special species living under the chestnut trees - likely eating lots of chestnuts - I hate chestnut trees - spikey balls all over the ground for most of the year - can’t take a dog near them as they spear above and between the pads - had to get surgery on one earlier this year to remove spikes
    This box is part of our PFBOP street trapping system - they have gone on holiday and no one checking the trap - so as I walk past with the dog - I started to bait it - four big shippies in five days - two were hit behind the neck and still alive
    Rats are hard to find round most of the street - but we have killed about 155 pests in 9 months so might be getting on top of them - got a mouse on one of my lines today - he left his tail details behind
    We have come to a halt around the Park at present - I had nothing in the last three trips - my Mate had nothing in two trips - a bit demoralising - but the birds that are nesting will be happy

Name:  20190922_162802.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  1,019.1 KB

Name:  20190925_155301.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  20190927_091501.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  752.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    kukuwai likes this.

Got a rat on my possum line yesterday.
    time out likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

How do you deal with trap shy critters. Do you do pindone or 1080

Trap shy critters could be a problem @Russian 22 - but if they are hungry you could try some Contrac poison - single feed Bromadiolone based - looks like you are not keen on poison with brodifacoum - so stay clear of Pest Off - but definitely a single feed poison
    If you see this snap-e type trap with the red sleeve on the kill bar - I would give it a miss - it is great on mice - and rats if they get hit between the eyes and the ears - but if they get hit further back - likely they will pull out - I am finding them tripped and turned upside down in the box or just tripped and empty. It looks like they have either soft springs or perhaps the red sleeve reduces the point impact and they can pull out.
    The trusty old Snap-e is killing well when hitting between the eyes and the ears - see pic of a big one today - but a bit further back on the neck they are often still alive - maybe this is often the case but if we check a line weekly likely they will be dead - I am currently checking this line around the street every morning so they may have only been in the trap over the night hours - I may need to carry a hammer to finish them off
    This patch of about 20 chestnut trees has thousands of chestnuts on the ground and looks to be infested with big rats - looks like you will find rats where there is food!

Name:  20191001_093453.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  827.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0481 (002).jpg
Views: 293
Size:  172.0 KB

Name:  20191001_093035.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  1,005.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Trap shy critters could be a problem @Russian 22 - but if they are hungry you could try some Contrac poison - single feed Bromadiolone based - looks like you are not keen on poison with brodifacoum - so stay clear of Pest Off - but definitely a single feed poison
    If you see this snap-e type trap with the red sleeve on the kill bar - I would give it a miss - it is great on mice - and rats if they get hit between the eyes and the ears - but if they get hit further back - likely they will pull out - I am finding them tripped and turned upside down in the box or just tripped and empty. It looks like they have either soft springs or perhaps the red sleeve reduces the point impact and they can pull out.
    The trusty old Snap-e is killing well when hitting between the eyes and the ears - see pic of a big one today - but a bit further back on the neck they are often still alive - maybe this is often the case but if we check a line weekly likely they will be dead - I am currently checking this line around the street every morning so they may have only been in the trap over the night hours - I may need to carry a hammer to finish them off
    This patch of about 20 chestnut trees has thousands of chestnuts on the ground and looks to be infested with big rats - looks like you will find rats where there is food!

Attachment 121147

Attachment 121148

Attachment 121149
    What's that bait that you are using?
    And did you go to Canada with Lesley & David??
    Ta
    B

@Tahr - went to Canada and Alaska Passages with Lesley and David - they are seasoned world travellers and looked after us well - probably wouldn’t have gone without someone to get us started - Lesley and Rosalie were in the 1st and 2nd intakes for Motor Reg when set up in Palmy - close friends since - ended up living fairly close near Tauranga
    My home bait is peanut butter, rolled oats, margarine, vegetable oil, icing sugar - that lot had a bit of possum paste as well - 50/20/20/10 type mix - microwave so it can be mixed to a paste - but anything like that will do
    Just been around the chestnuts with another box and changed all the traps to Victor Pro - should sort them out - more boxes required - it is infested

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    @Tahr - went to Canada and Alaska Passages with Lesley and David - they are seasoned world travellers and looked after us well - probably wouldn’t have gone without someone to get us started - Lesley and Rosalie were in the 1st and 2nd intakes for Motor Reg when set up in Palmy - close friends since - ended up living fairly close near Tauranga
    My home bait is peanut butter, rolled oats, margarine, vegetable oil, icing sugar - that lot had a bit of possum paste as well - 50/20/20/10 type mix - microwave so it can be mixed to a paste - but anything like that will do
    Just been around the chestnuts with another box and changed all the traps to Victor Pro - should sort them out - more boxes required - it is infested
    All good. I just noticed that you were in Canada at the same time as them so guessed that was the case. I would like to see them sometime.
    That brew of yours is complicated - is it better than straight peanut butter and worth the trouble?
    time out likes this.

Thumping the rats but its not increasing my fur payday.Might have to relocate the traps.
    Name:  picture 01 4239.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  164.2 KBName:  picture 01 4235.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  163.5 KB
    time out likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

One for the good guys Name:  7CC83E44-9E92-4660-9E18-8C97E7701B43.jpeg
Views: 561
Size:  5.00 MBfresh rabbit was his undoing
    time out and kukuwai like this.