Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dundee
  • 1 Post By Spanners
  • 1 Post By Baz
  • 1 Post By Rich007

Thread: Prredator Control !!!!

Prredator Control !!!!

What do you fullas and fulless' do?

Theres a shit load of predators around and in the waterways.

My stoat,weasle or ferret trap

Name:  P3253578.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  97.3 KB

Then the trusty shotty does some damage

Name:  P3233569.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  99.4 KB

Barstards kill heaps of ducklings

Forum beanie and holding the pest

Name:  P3253577.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  100.8 KB

This was at a dam also got two coons they take there toll on eggs.

38 days too go so we should have it sorted.
    Dead Rat likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I've shot some BIG cats (can only just hold up 1 handed) 100s of km away from the nearest house... pricks seem to be able to live anywhere

Nice beanie - almost covers the whole ugly mug

OT: Anyone ever heard of a 'Bendigo Tiger'?

Thats a snake isn't it?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Na its a Cat from Berma or something they released down sth for rabbit control years ago... big long legs and really long tail
    Smoked one last time I was out rabbiting down there - couldnt pick it up one handed.
    Thing must have weighed 15+ kg?
    Dundee likes this.

Baz
    I brought 2 DOC250 traps and made the boxes out of ply wood as per their plans, smashing back the rat population at the moment.

The other cheap tick is the storm secure rat baits inside a silage wrap tube (the solid plastic inner roll part thingy), cut in half (makes 2
    ), drill 2 small holes in middle opposite each other, thread a wire through one hole through rat bait (which has a hollow middle) and out the other hole, bend at each end to keep it in place.

Rats etc run through, have a feed but cannot take the whole bait. only thing is you can't cut the tails off for the H&F 'swamp comp' preditor competition they are runing

I have hundreds of free silage wrap inner tubes if anyone wants them.
    Dead Rat likes this.

Baz
    I thought this thread might get a few more replys.......???

Does everyone forget about the rats and shit? Over the last 2 weeks I have gone through 2Kg of storm secure rat bait in 6 tubes as above, and their still munching it back. imagine the amount of duck eggs/ducklings they would eat in the breeding season???

a 3kg bucket of bait from RD1 cost $64 dollars, the bait tubes are free. pretty cheap to ensure their are more birds making it to next season.

just my 2 cents.

Ejected
    At the moment I am concentrating on feeding the hungry ducks but towards the end of the season and the start of the breeding season I will put some time and money into killing the egg stealing predators so this info is useful. Keep it coming.

I see pukekos are on our list this year which is good,we allowed 5 a day in our area.The population is high too.

I will focus on the rats after the season as I don't fancy sitting near dead rotting rat carcusses when we sitting around the ponds.

The more Pukekos you can knock over the better. I've seen them catch and kill ducklings. I make a special point of shooting as many as I can during the season the limit is 20 where i shoot in HB

My Rat trap is pure brilliance: you need 1 wine bottle,peanut butter,bucket,olive oil and masking tape....

get wine bottle and hang bottle with neck hanging off the edge of something,get masking tape and tape it to whatever its on,dig a hole(if outside) enough to half bury the bucket,fill bucket with water about half way,put peanut butter on the head of bottle,add olive oil to the neck of bottle.....

It works really well on mice and small rats but I am yet to target anything bigger....

Yea I was pondering as to whether to post it or not.... but its more humane than posion!