Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree1723Likes

Thread: Bird Predator Control

the photos above show the good the bad AND the ugly of trapping...a bi catch of a bird is unusual but not unheard of...a cat with long leg is same.... the fens shown have caught as they are supposed to do...I believe the issues with less than ideal killing is from traps that have been left set for long periods of time,spring not quite so strong...and or dirty/rusty steel so the bits dont slide past each other quite so good....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I watched same show Dundee..the cat lady was classic..and you can GUARANTEE if all cats had to be neutered and kept inside she would be letting them out and still breeding them.
    Dundee, Ned and SL600 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

She was bloody crazy alright and so was that other bit from spca
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

The Possum Master on a sloping log continues to trip them up – caught by the claws is not a great way to die, but generally they put their head in to bite at the rabbit lure and the noose clamps their carotid arteries and kills them rapidly. We have to keep trying to remove the Apex predator from the environment. I saw an interesting cat video on TV1 last night where DOC showed what cats are doing in the environment – right up in the Southern Alps killing Kea – even DOC recognize cats as the Apex predator.

Name:  IMG-20230527-WA0001 2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  203.4 KB
    Dundee, Maca49, kukuwai and 3 others like this.

They should of asked the "cat lady" does a cat have the right to kill a kiwi ? It would of been interesting to hear her answer. Bat shit crazy comes to mind ...
    Dundee, time out, kukuwai and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    They should of asked the "cat lady" does a cat have the right to kill a kiwi ? It would of been interesting to hear her answer. Bat shit crazy comes to mind ...
    wot you said...
    Dundee likes this.

Yep I have never thought of a cat to be......"victimized"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Dundee likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Yep I have never thought of a cat to be......"victimized"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Bo doing a cat scan!
    Name:  283826599_10221132457917588_3224844183928002749_n.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  144.6 KB
    time out and kukuwai like this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Bo on the coon tonight.
    Name:  DSC06716.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  163.4 KB
    time out likes this.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    There was a good programme on "The Sunday" about feral cats.We sat Max down and told him to bloody listen!
    Attachment 225257
    This pile was from Mt Cook National park.
    Attachment 225258
    I never thought you have a cat, Mr. Dundee. But think back all your posts and threads, yes you are. I have similar one back home, 12 years old but still jumping around like she is still a kitten. Talk me all the time, just I can `t understand what she said beyond food, open the north door not the south, where is my toy, I do `t wanna go home now...etc.

To some people, a bullet in a cat `s head would have been too humane. Let `s look after our friends, no matter the costs. If I can send our cats away, or give them a "special treatments" once for all, I can have my residency years ago. But I can `t, I will not leave them behind. Do I agree to keep their number in control, yes I do.
    Dundee likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I never thought you have a cat, Mr. Dundee. But think back all your posts and threads, yes you are. I have similar one back home, 12 years old but still jumping around like she is still a kitten. Talk me all the time, just I can `t understand what she said beyond food, open the north door not the south, where is my toy, I do `t wanna go home now...etc.

To some people, a bullet in a cat `s head would have been too humane. Let `s look after our friends, no matter the costs. If I can send our cats away, or give them a "special treatments" once for all, I can have my residency years ago. But I can `t, I will not leave them behind. Do I agree to keep their number in control, yes I do.
    We love our farm yard cat but know he is a predator,I will shoot all ferals and got a few of the neighbours ferals trespassing.
    Black Rabbit likes this.
    CFD

Name:  IMG_7495.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  2.71 MB These are bastards
    Dundee and time out like this.

Possum attacking dead possum in the trap. I've filmed this behavior quite a few times.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8_...usp=share_link

Possum caught in a Possum Master
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s1m...usp=share_link
    Dundee and time out like this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and especially your videos @BillyXmas546 – we can all learn so much about pest control by sharing experiences. Since we started this thread, there has been 150,483 visits to the thread to see what other pest controllers are doing – please keep on sharing your experiences - catches, trap placements etc - even if you think we have seen it all before.
    We have only got five Possum Master traps at the Park and have just removed them for maintenance after about five years work. The manufacturer suggests that we place lure in a small zip-lock plastic bag tied to the bait holder rather than attaching fruit or meat directly on the bait holder – has anyone had success doing this – apparently the odour of the lure escapes through the plastic and animals can still smell it. I asked the question on ChatGPT and apparently most animals including Possums and rats have a strong sense of smell.
    BillyXmas546’s video shows how incredibly effective the Possum Master trap noose system works – the team at Puketoki operate about 100 on their lines across the 100 acre reserve – no intruder lasts long at Puketoki – they get about 40 each year that come down from the Kaimais - all the operators love these traps – simple and effective with raspberry jam on a small piece of carpet clipped to the bait holder.
    Talking to other trappers about possum trap options – it seems like the Flipping Timmy is cost-effective, works well, is simple to service, is well made and looks to last well – possums also seem to like them!
    I saw some FB posts from DRC Contracting around Palmy – they have been catching stoats in the standard old Timms traps in the Turitea Reserve – the Timms is another versatile trap.
    Looking forward to seeing some other pest control experiences.

Name:  IMG_5927 (1) 2.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  239.9 KB

Name:  20200407_114614 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  204.1 KB

Time to resurrect this great thread.

What is happening out there ?

I checked my high country lines a couple of weeks back, there are 80 plus doc 150's and I expected to get a few mustelids [i always expect to get a few but] after using cut up duck in and around the traps which I thought will murder them. 1 big adult stoat and 3 rats was the sum total, very disappointed I was .

My local traps it is just rats and weasels in the 150s and 200s and a couple of cats in the cage trap. H/hogs in hibernation I guess.

I have heard that there are quite a few rats up in the beech forests.