Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By video hunter
  • 1 Post By time out
  • 3 Post By Kiwi Sapper
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 2 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By planenutz
  • 1 Post By Jhon

Thread: Californian quail meets rabbit

Californian quail meets rabbit

Californian quail meets rabbit....

Playing around in Canva software and came up with this layout...

Name:  Califorian quail meets rabbit.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  326.6 KB
    As a matter of curiosity what is the correct spelling of the bird in NZ? Is it California or Californian quail, I tried looking online and found both versions are used??

I'd opt for the California quail as it's scientific description is:

Callipepla californica (Shaw, 1798)

form
    Order:Galliformes
    Family:Phasianidae

Were you to look at the root word "Californica", you would find that in the many subjects attributed that name. the commonly used as opposed to the scientific name is California not Californian.

Some examles.:

Acalypha californica, the California copperleaf or pringle three-seeded mercury, a flowering shrub species native to California
    Adelpha californica, the California sister, a butterfly species found in much of California and western Oregon to extreme southern Washington
    Adolphia californica, the California prickbush or spineshrub, a flowering shrub species native to Baja California and California
    Aesculus californica, the California buckeye or California horse-chestnut, a tree species endemic to California
    Amorpha californica, the California false indigo, a flowering plant species native to California, Arizona and northern Baja California
    Angelica californica, the California angelica, a plant species found in northern California
    Aplysia californica, the California sea slug or California sea hare, a sea slug species
    Aralia californica, the elk clover, a large herb species native to California and southwestern Oregon
    Arctomecon californica, the California bearpoppy, Las Vegas bearpoppy, golden bearpoppy or yellow-flowered desert poppy, a plant species native to Nevada and in northwestern Arizona
    Aristida californica, the California threeawn and Mojave threeawn, a grass species native to the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts of northern Mexico and California and Arizona
    Aristolochia californica, the California pipevine or California Dutchman's-pipe, a plant species endemic to California
    Artemisia californica, the California sagebrush, a shrub species native to California and Baja California
    Asclepias californica, the common name California milkweed, a plant species native to California and northern Baja California
    Aspidotis californica, the California lacefern, a fern species native to California and Baja California
    Atriplex californica, the California saltbush or California orache, a plant species native to coastal California and Baja California

Looking at "Californian" we find:

Californian (ˌkælɪˈfɔːnɪən)
    adj
    (Placename) of or relating to California or its inhabitants
    n
    (Placename) a native or inhabitant of California

BUT The quail is now naturalised and breeding in New Zealand, so I would not refer to it as "a native or inhabitant of California", 'cos it ain't.
    Last edited by Kiwi Sapper; 30-08-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Nice picture @video hunter
    California Quail, Ring-neck Pheasants and rabbits seem to be quite compatible with each other

Name:  IMG_6041 (2).JPG
Views: 219
Size:  212.3 KB
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Nice picture @video hunter California Quail, Ring-neck Pheasants and rabbits seem to be quite compatible with each other .......
    Especially so in a red wine and mushroom casserole.............

Gone but not forgotten
    Rabbits can be extremely tolerant of other animals, I have watched our sheep push rabbits out of the way with their noses to get to the tastiest grass
    planenutz likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    I'd opt for the California quail as it's scientific description is:

Callipepla californica (Shaw, 1798)

form
    Order:Galliformes
    Family:Phasianidae

Were you to look at the root word "Californica", you would find that in the many subjects attributed that name. the commonly used as opposed to the scientific name is California not Californian.

Some examles.:

Acalypha californica, the California copperleaf or pringle three-seeded mercury, a flowering shrub species native to California
    Adelpha californica, the California sister, a butterfly species found in much of California and western Oregon to extreme southern Washington
    Adolphia californica, the California prickbush or spineshrub, a flowering shrub species native to Baja California and California
    Aesculus californica, the California buckeye or California horse-chestnut, a tree species endemic to California
    Amorpha californica, the California false indigo, a flowering plant species native to California, Arizona and northern Baja California
    Angelica californica, the California angelica, a plant species found in northern California
    Aplysia californica, the California sea slug or California sea hare, a sea slug species
    Aralia californica, the elk clover, a large herb species native to California and southwestern Oregon
    Arctomecon californica, the California bearpoppy, Las Vegas bearpoppy, golden bearpoppy or yellow-flowered desert poppy, a plant species native to Nevada and in northwestern Arizona
    Aristida californica, the California threeawn and Mojave threeawn, a grass species native to the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts of northern Mexico and California and Arizona
    Aristolochia californica, the California pipevine or California Dutchman's-pipe, a plant species endemic to California
    Artemisia californica, the California sagebrush, a shrub species native to California and Baja California
    Asclepias californica, the common name California milkweed, a plant species native to California and northern Baja California
    Aspidotis californica, the California lacefern, a fern species native to California and Baja California
    Atriplex californica, the California saltbush or California orache, a plant species native to coastal California and Baja California

Looking at "Californian" we find:

Californian (ˌkælɪˈfɔːnɪən)
    adj
    (Placename) of or relating to California or its inhabitants
    n
    (Placename) a native or inhabitant of California

BUT The quail is now naturalised and breeding in New Zealand, so I would not refer to it as "a native or inhabitant of California", 'cos it ain't.
    Never realised it was Quail that the 'Red hot Chillis' were singing about !

Quail crack me up. They're quite curious and the way they strut around always makes me smile.

On three occasions now I've shot rabbits with Quail nearby and several of the birds have run right up to the dead rabbit and stood around it, chattering excitedly and checking out the rabbit from all angles. I've been meaning to video it but not had an opportunity this year. You could do a hilarious voice-over for the video... its just so funny to watch. They hang around for a good two or three minutes.

Of course you can't beat watching Mum, Dad and the kids out foraging for food. The babies look like over-grown bumblebees buzzing around their parents and my daughter loves them - I have to admit they're very cute.

I was watching a gathering of 4 or 5 juveniles playing one day while waiting for some rabbits to show up. There was a small dustbowl of about 2 square meters and each bird took turns to run a defined circuit around the dirt. There were humps and hollows in the dirt and I swear it was just like watching bikers on a pump track. Each bird took a turn then waited ringside while the his buddy followed suit. You just wouldn't read about it... it was funny to watch and lasted about 4 or 5 minutes.

Nature can be highly entertaining when you take time to sit and watch... and Quail can be the clowns of the show.
    time out and Moa Hunter like this.

Grew up with Californian quails - local usage. Great to eat. Better to watch as above. Also had lots of brown quail. Not so many around that district these days as farmers have "improved" the land, removed cover.
    time out likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...