Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Cats?

The registration would be there to get money to finance desexing / eradication, limit a little bit the number of cats per house hold, and have a very good reason to eradicate any cat that is not registered/ microchipped.
    I just try to have a more diplomatic approach than to shoot any cat on site " à la Gareth Morgan"!

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The registration would be there to get money to finance desexing / eradication, limit a little bit the number of cats per house hold, and have a very good reason to eradicate any cat that is not registered/ microchipped.
    I just try to have a more diplomatic approach than to shoot any cat on site " à la Gareth Morgan"!
    Realistically your registration money will be used in BS admin and paper pushing like so many other similar ideas.

Dosen't Gareth Morgan own a cat?

We could follow Australia also and register boats, firearms and everything else possible. Definitely solves tax gathering issues and keeps people employed.

Friwi I take it you hate cats?

The one that kill birds in my garden(I find a dead bird every 3 to4 weeks on my lawn on average!), or fight at night and shit everywhere,yes definitely.
    In France, there is a rule in the country side: any cat further than 30 m from a dwelling is a considered a wild cat...

Oh the old cat shit in your garden!
    Easy fix!
    Collect said cat shit and dump it on the cats lawn!
    Done at night.
    Cat no longer shits in my garden they always shit in the same place. Problem solved.
    Pays not to get caught though, you need to dig a little scrape as well sort of make it look as though it's shat there.
    Looks like it's working for me at the moment

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Maybe we should ban all Dogs from the forests also as some do escape and kill Kiwis.

https://www.projectkiwi.org.nz/index...m&s2=Predators

I like both dogs and cats... but apparently dogs are adult Kiwi predator no1.
    They are already banned in that if a dog is found on DOC land (outside the tightly controlled boundries of a dog permit) then it will be impounded and\or destroyed. If you want it out of the pound you have to pay a fine. This is how it should be, it's just that cats have an exemption from the normal rules cos they control the old ladies and they rule the world.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Mind control parasites ? evil overlords ?.........you could hardly expect anyone to take you seriously now
    I have a cat , and heaps of fantails , tui's, bell birds wood pigeons and other birds , happily he doesn't seem interested in them .... ha maybe he knows he's way to fat to catch anything that doesn't come in pre-packaged , anyhow we love him to bits but he wouldn't last long if I thought he had developed a taste for native fauna.
    Cant remember the last time I read the news to find out that some old lady or kid has had his /her leg/arm/ face chewed off by a pack of out of control cats.... so they aint so bad , however if I had to choose between cats and native stuff the cats would lose every time , and feral ( and some domestic , pet ) cats must have an impact on native fauna..... just not sure how much ( both sides will get a bit hysterical and tend to mis quote anything to their favour ) or how to get a realistic and effective solution . One thing for sure as soon as there is money available it will get used up in politics and other bullshit as those involved will be looking to line their pockets and fuck all will actually be spent solving the problem.
    You had quite a good argument until you revealed that you are owned by a cat and therefore under it's influance!

The mind control parasites are scientific fact if you want to read wikipedia.

"Crazy cat-lady syndrome"[edit]
    "Crazy cat-lady syndrome" is a term coined by news organizations to describe scientific findings that link the parasite Toxoplasma gondii to several mental disorders and behavioral problems.[88][89][90][91][92] Although researches found that cat ownership does not strongly increase the risk of T. gondii infection on pregnant women,[93][94] the suspected correlation between cat ownership in childhood and later development of schizophrenia suggest that further studies are needed to determine a risk factor for children.[95] The term crazy cat-lady syndrome draws on both stereotype and popular cultural reference. It was originated as instances of the aforementioned afflictions were noted amongst the populace. Cat lady is a cultural stereotype of a woman, often a spinster, who compulsively hoards and dotes upon cats. Jaroslav Flegr (biologist) is a proponent of the theory that toxoplasmosis affects human behaviour.[96][97]
    Notable cases[edit]
    Arthur Ashe (tennis player) developed neurological problems from toxoplasmosis (and was later found to be HIV-positive).[98]
    Merritt Butrick (actor) was HIV-positive and died from toxoplasmosis as a result of his already-weakened immune system.[99]
    Prince François, Count of Clermont (pretender to the throne of France); his disability caused him to be overlooked in the line of succession.
    Leslie Ash (actress) contracted toxoplasmosis in the second month of pregnancy.[100]
    Sebastian Coe (British middle-distance runner).[101]
    Martina Navratilova suffered from toxoplasmosis during the 1982 US Open.[102]
    Louis Wain (artist) was famous for painting cats; he later developed schizophrenia, which some believe was due to toxoplasmosis resulting from his prolonged exposure to cats.[103]
    The Wealdstone Raider suffered toxoplasmosis for much of his childhood and adolescence.[104]

When we bought our place, I must have shot or trapped a cat a week for six months, not including the litters I found in the bushes which I promptly tap danced upon. Since then there has been a noticeable increase in bird life. Not just one or two birds, more like triple the coveys of quail etc .

Every cat owner dismisses their own cat as harmless. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not happening.
    Last edited by Pointer; 29-02-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Spelling for Timmay
    veitnamcam likes this.

Ejected
    You're onto it Pointer. They hunt at night. Every fat tame harmless pussy was a deadly tiger in it's younger years.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Oh the old cat shit in your garden!
    Easy fix!
    Collect said cat shit and dump it on the cats lawn!
    Done at night.
    Cat no longer shits in my garden they always shit in the same place. Problem solved.
    Pays not to get caught though, you need to dig a little scrape as well sort of make it look as though it's shat there.
    Looks like it's working for me at the moment
    Not sure why you would be concerned about being caught.

A man in his mid 50's, who is a bit of a cat lover is busy working in his garden. Then he notices the little girl of the neighbours next door who is digging a hole in the middle of the lawn. At first he does not pay to much attention.1/2 h later he realises that the hole she is digging is quite large but says nothing. He just goes inside and have a cup of tea. When he has finished his tea, he goes back out and he sees the little girl who is back filling the hole she had dug out. Approaching the fence, he asks the little girl:
    -hi. Why have you been digging a hole for?
    -the girl replies: it is to bury my dead gold fish.
    - the guy:but that is quite a large hole you dug for a small gold fish
    - the girl ,as she just finished backfilling the hole: that is because my dead goldfish is inside your f..king Cat!!!
    kidmac42 and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Not sure why you would be concerned about being caught.
    You haven't seen my neighbor wife
    Also how you going to prove that the shit that your depositing back is from there cat, I'm not paying for the dan sample

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post

proving ownership of a cat might be quite problematc but mainly only the rule followeres would pay.
    the biggest problem is stray dumped cats with no owners no,one to feed and curb at least some of thie more murderous instints.
    i have and now like cats but in the bush or bird hunting areas they die on site if i remember to load the gun right up
    its not the cats fault but its not the birds or mine either and given the condition of some i,ve cleaned up it was probably a small mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    My cat is doing far more for our native fauna than any bastard Morgan-esk greenie would ever acknowledge.

He catches probably 6 field mice and 2 rats for every bird - and to be fair I haven't seen a rabbit around here since that huge buck that got dragged in through the cat flap about 4 months ago. We don't even have territory scrapes on the lawn any more...

I suspect things that walk/run/hop are far far easier to catch than things that fly, and of the flying type - 95% are sodding introduced or introduced pests. He got a Rosella the other day - Good Boy!

I suspect I'm feeding him too much meat, because the bastard has stopped killing the rats before bringing them in for show and tell - and it's an utter bitch having to trap and deal to a pissed off rat in the house. I nailed the last one with a hand spear after chasing it for 2 hours including trying to suck it up the vacuum cleaner!

Rats are bastards...
    That's pretty much my experience of domestic cats. Only ever seen a couple of natives caught by cats.

That reminds me of the 1080 case:
    Rats and mice reproduce way faster than the bird population. So even if a cat catches 6 times the amount of rodents to the amount of birds, there is nothing much fantastic about it because that might be the ratio of birds/ rodents in nature anyway.

The second thing is this: when all the local rodents are taken care off, the cat will still try to have a go at the birds.
    And he might actually have a go at anything that presents itself in front of him : birds or rodent in no particular order.

Ejected
    Your cats aren't catching many native birds because there are not many left in most parts of the country particularly the urbanized parts. Generations of predators and habitat destruction have meant that the native birds (who evolved to cope with ground based predators) were out competed by the introduced species. Those introduced birds are themselves very aggressive so they then push out the natives. If you drive around Canterbury, one of the more modified parts of the country, then all you see is pigeons, magpies, plovers and harrier hawks. All these birds (except pigeons) will attack other the nests of other birds.

If you put your cat in enclosure containing a couple of kiwi and a couple of rats\mice it would catch the kiwi over the mice because it's far bigger, dumber and easier to catch.