Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Padox
  • 1 Post By MCCPRO
  • 1 Post By Ingrid 51
  • 1 Post By Matt.L

Thread: Gassing rabbits

Gassing rabbits

I’m gonna be using magtoxin on a property that can’t be shot , any advice ,dosage couple pills each hole n fill ?
    Cheers

Couple of tabs and a splash of water and cover
    Dama dama, Cypri and HuntBeta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypri View Post
    I’m gonna be using magtoxin on a property that can’t be shot , any advice ,dosage couple pills each hole n fill ?
    Cheers
    The applicable Regional Council that permits the use of fumigation of rabbits will have detailed advisorys on their websites about the practical application of the highly toxic pellets. More than 3kgs of the stuff and you need a CSL.

https://www.orc.govt.nz/media/11874/...ial_220121.pdf

When using Magtoxin you should place several pills on a wet tissue, this will produce the gas a lot quicker than relying on the moisture in the soil. During summer it is more important to do this. Target the burrows with young , you will generally see them sitting at the entrance and when doing the warren systems make sure you gas all entrances. Another tip especially on warm days is to run a dog around the area if you have one as a lot of the time rabbits will sit outside when it’s hot, these rabbits will come back later and open the holes up from the outside and won’t be affected by the gas.

Thanks for the advice

The use of a solo sprayer filled with water seams to be a very effective way of getting water around the pellets, plus you can get the pellets further in the hole and activated more successfully. Have also found using wool to block the hole then covering with dirt helps to stop the digging the holes back up.

I always used fairly wet scrunched up newspaper with the pills and a dry scrunched up piece then covered with soil.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Update , I had a go last week , I did 3 warrens i, with a total of about 150 holes, I put 2 pellets per holes, wrapped up in single of toilet paper , a squirt of water from a sprayer , popped it down each holes n back filled , wore a respirator , a weeks later , you can smell rotting meat, unfortunately it’s a area that can’t be shot, not the best way to go ,but devastatingly lethal,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypri View Post
    Update , I had a go last week , I did 3 warrens i, with a total of about 150 holes, I put 2 pellets per holes, wrapped up in single of toilet paper , a squirt of water from a sprayer , popped it down each holes n back filled , wore a respirator , a weeks later , you can smell rotting meat, unfortunately it’s a area that can’t be shot, not the best way to go ,but devastatingly lethal,
    Sounds more effective than my ‘learned’ mate who reckoned lpg from his bbq bottles was the way to go. After filling the Warren with gas and igniting with an almighty whooooomph! the earth moved skywards. He spat turf before exclaiming ‘got the b#stards’ but had to reset a couple of fence posts due to the soil being shattered. The explosion reminded me of WW1 footage showing explosions after tunnellers dug under the enemy.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Just be mindful two pellets is definitely on the light side, the property im on in wanaka is over run and we do a lot of magtoxing. We tried only using a couple of pellets but found better and consistent results by using around 5, keep in mind the bottle suggests 8. with neighbour's houses close on 3 sides the 10 arce block shooting is very tricky, more so with the hard ground and the tendency of the .22 to ricochet. Thankfully the neighbors are understanding the .17hmr comes into its own.
    Cypri likes this.