Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Bullet Choice

Bullet Choice

Been using subsonics and a silencer recently in favour of the old power points. Have fired 50 rounds or so of the Aguila stuff through my JW15. What are people’s thoughts about them? Thinking of trying out the CCI standards at some stage as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty, stinky stuff that Aquila. CCI is cleaner. Accuracy will depend on what your rifle likes.
    Ranger 888, Rn-85 and Arced like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Dirty, stinky stuff that Aquila. CCI is cleaner. Accuracy will depend on what your rifle likes.
    Agila is okay. I quite like the heavier winchester subs. I used to love the fiocchi subs but I think they don't hit as hard.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

agula uses a dirty dupont powder. stick with cci
    Arced likes this.

Bullet Choice

I’ll give the CCI stuff a go, especially if it’s a bit cleaner and about the same price. Anyone found much difference in hollow point rounds vs round nose in effectiveness of dispatching rabbits?

I would be very careful with the CCI standard velocity.

Anything manufactured during the pandemic period is likely to be very inconsistent. If you search this forum under my name you will find the thread about how I successfully got refunded from CCI after much argument and proving the point.

Lots of shots were going supersonic and hitting very high.

There were reports of problems with 2020-21 batches from all over the place and it was discussed on Rimfire Central. A couple of other guys on this forum also had problems and I think someone mentioned it again the other day?

I don’t know if CCI has got on top of this problem yet.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post

Anything manufactured during the pandemic period is likely to be very inconsistent. If you search this forum under my name you will find the thread about how I successfully got refunded from CCI after much argument and proving the point.

There were reports of problems with 2020-21 batches from all over the place and it was discussed on Rimfire Central. A couple of other guys on this forum also had problems and I think someone mentioned it again the other day?

Very interesting read. What have you been using personally as an alternative since?

Quote Originally Posted by Arced View Post
    Very interesting read. What have you been using personally as an alternative since?
    Sellior & Bellot 40gr HP subs

https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pro...on/detail/479/
    Arced likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Sellout & bellot and fiochi worked best for me in subs. Tried 4 or 5 others as well. Mostly crap in my rifle.
    Arced likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Sellout & bellot and fiochi worked best for me in subs. Tried 4 or 5 others as well. Mostly crap in my rifle.
    I might give them a crack and find out what’s best. I’ve been a tight bugger, but as you would expect you get what you pay for

Must of sorted it, definitely the most consistent .22lr ammo now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arced View Post
    I’ll give the CCI stuff a go, especially if it’s a bit cleaner and about the same price. Anyone found much difference in hollow point rounds vs round nose in effectiveness of dispatching rabbits?

Hollow point for hunting, solids are head shot only as they pencil through.
    bmax likes this.

I find cci hp still punch through anything under 50m

I think I might have a few trays of pandemic cci hp subs. Would these be affected? It would have been one of either the last packs in nz or the first batch back in the country. Any way of identifying them?

I rate the winchester subs. They seem to go well and cycle well in the 10/22.

I heard that fiocchi subs were made by cci? I though. Would that be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    I find cci hp still punch through anything under 50m

I think I might have a few trays of pandemic cci hp subs. Would these be affected? It would have been one of either the last packs in nz or the first batch back in the country. Any way of identifying them?

I rate the winchester subs. They seem to go well and cycle well in the 10/22.

I heard that fiocchi subs were made by cci? I though. Would that be correct?

Punch through sure but they expand on impact and make quite a sizable amount more damage than solids.

Some Fiocchi subs are made by CCI you'll have to look at your packet.

Winchester from America is the worst I've ever dealt with. Fail to fire, fail to extract, and dirty as anything. Failures were caused by too much variation in rim thickness. I do wish the Aussies remade their factory and started making the Aussie Winchester ammo again, that was market leader for hunting ammo for sometime I reckon. The US stuff I will not buy, terrible.

Cheers I’ll make sure to keep using hollow points. Good to know CCI have sorted the problem

Interesting…Gun Shitty are peddling the Winchester subs in the red plastic case potentially manufactured during the pandemic, consistently is all over the place, accuracy not much better, through a 10/22, at least they cycle better than the Australian manufactured Winchester subs through a 10/22