Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Which gun for small vermin?

Which gun for small vermin?

Hi mates,

I am looking forward to star shooting more professionally and I need a new gear. I am looking at three possible choices and would love to know what you think, to know your advice
    - Marlin Model 60
    - Mossberg 802
    - Remington 572

I am leaning towards Mossberg but I admit I am not entirely sure as Remington also looks enticing.

Hey mate some interesting options there. Ya mention professionally so I’m guessing you’ll be shooting for pet food.

If that’s the case I’d hands down go Marlin, I’d avoid the mossberg and consider the Remington. Every Marlin I’ve had has shot like a demon and been reliable. Personally I’d go for the Marlin 795.

Reasons are
    -semi so easy for quick follow ups
    -mag fed so can run multiple mags if things get lively
    -plastic fantastic as it’s going to get a few knocks around quads and utes
    -pretty dam cheap for awesome accuracy
    mudgripz, Ranal, mawzer308 and 1 others like this.

I guess you are working to a price point? And have no preference for semi or bolt. I don't personally like pump action 22s they can have issues.
    I would also consider the Norinco jw 15 and rossi. The mossbergs are made by the same outfit as the rossi
    For a semi, the marlin is a good option.

As mentioned, if doing this then a Norinco JW15 is a good reliable gun. Better yet throw the BRNO or CZ that it was copied from in there as a better quality option. To be honest, if you are doing this semi commercially, then it will be likely to get quite a bit of use. For this reason, I would suggest a model of rifle that is still in production and has parts available (especially magazines) such as the Marlin 795 (Semi auto) Norinco JW15, CZ 452,455 etc or BRNO (All bolt actions) Most pump actions and Lever guns have tube mags, and these can be a pain in the field when compared to "box" mags like the other options have especially if a suppressor is fitted. Also consider a suppressor. For a 22 these are very effective and will often allow a 2nd or 3rd shot at a group of vermin allowing for a higher tally. (I do this on rabbits.)
    Ranger 888 and A330driver like this.

I think most commercial hunters use the good old ruger 10/22, must be a reason for that.
    Bill999, Dama dama, 6x47 and 1 others like this.

Marketing has a lot to do with it I suspect. Marlin is as least as good probably better accuracy wise than the later model rugers. Mind you there are so many aftermarket bits for rugers you can spend twice as much as it originally cost on pimping it up and it's still a ruger.
    Disclaimer: I own a 10/22 as well as two other semis I use it regularly but it's not my favourite by any means.

My marlin 795 was a picky gun ammo wise with cycling that needed a lot more maintenance and cleaning than my 10/22,the 10/22 never jams and is every bit as accurate,magazine setup is better as well in my opinion,nothing protruding out the bottom to catch on things.

Out of those 3 choises - Marlin

My 925 is a tack driver.
    Norinco next very overlooked wee shooter.
    CZ do a 22 that would be hard to go past imho as well.

Remmy are crap fullstop regardless.
    Ruger 10/22 are rubbish unless you remove everything Ruger from them and fit the likes of Volquartsen etc.
    mudgripz likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

The main reason pros use the 10-22 is reliability, pure and simple. Several have told me that as long as you fully clean out the action every second brick, they will not let you down. Sure, they are a bit agricultural but the vast majority are def minute-of-bunny at 50yds. Cycling reliability is what lets many of the competitors down, especially with less than stellar maintenance.

I absolutely love my CZ 512, they cost over twice as much as a 10-22 though. I must add I have yet to hear anything bad about a Marlin, but I have not had the pleasure of trying one out.

Marlin 795. Cycle very well if run them clean and dry, with max one drop of oil to lube bolt. Then use only CCI ammos - loves them and will pop under 0.5" for groups at 50m.

After testing around 100 22s of all makes and models the Ruger 10/22 is no favourite - they were popular years ago because import restrictions prevented other semis coming into NZ. Had about 6 10/22s from standard to highly modded. Quite a good little semi but the least accurate of all 22 makes over sets of 50m groups off the bench. 60 meter shooter only. Not acceptable accuracy standard but can be a fun project rifle. Brazilian makes like Rossi, Magtech, later Mossbergs mostly made by CBC in Brazil. Very average in quality and performance.

Norinco JW15 would suit you well as suggested - can be very accurate and efficient wee hunters after a little polishing. CZ/Brno good rifles. Here's a good JW15 offer on trademe - exactly like the ones we prep:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2609011816

After reading up on the same topic I've come to the Marlin 795 concusion too

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Out of those 3 choises - Marlin

My 925 is a tack driver.
    Norinco next very overlooked wee shooter.
    CZ do a 22 that would be hard to go past imho as well.

Remmy are crap fullstop regardless.
    Ruger 10/22 are rubbish unless you remove everything Ruger from them and fit the likes of Volquartsen etc.
    Tell that to the countless thousands of pests that died because I used 10/22 most of the 31 years I was on the Pest Boards .As said they may not be the most accurate but as a functional pest control rifle they are hard to beat, mine is still stock standard and shoots well enough for me.
    Boaraxa, viper, mawzer308 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Tell that to the countless thousands of pests that died because I used 10/22 most of the 31 years I was on the Pest Boards .As said they may not be the most accurate but as a functional pest control rifle they are hard to beat, mine is still stock standard and shoots well enough for me.
    Reliability and minute of (chest with any pick of animal) for accuracy matters only for pest control. I used one for a while it was good enough. Never bought one though cos at time it seemed like everyone was buying 10/22 I had to be a little different. Happy with my 795. Up to recently running unmodified. Shortened for suppressor and modded for subs. Ran a dream on HV ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    timattalon likes this.

I found the Ruger to be a good design, practical, easy to use a,d simple. But my limited experience with the ones I owned leads me to believe their quality control is not what it once as. I loved the look and feel of my mates one and had to get one. When I got it, it felt and handled the same, but I was getting 12 inch (dinner plate) groups at 50m. Gave up after gunsmith informed me it was the barrel that was causing the issue....There are great ones, good ones, average ones and shit ones, and they all look the same.....