Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: How soon should I process a freshly killed rabbit?

you want me to post through
    some pellets if you have air rifle for a while. It gets expencive quick buying differnt pellets to see what shoots best. Or if you have a pellet that shoots well let me know what it is and if I have any and dont use em Ill send you what I have. ( they just sit there )

Quote Originally Posted by kruza View Post
    you want me to post through
    some pellets if you have air rifle for a while. It gets expencive quick buying differnt pellets to see what shoots best. Or if you have a pellet that shoots well let me know what it is and if I have any and dont use em Ill send you what I have. ( they just sit there )
    Nah don't worry about it. I only have it until Sunday. Thanks though
    kruza likes this.

Post how it goes. Good or bad, Id be keen to see how you get on.
    Enjoy your hunt. Rember no hunt is wasted time, your learning more every time.
    Well I managed to get one in the bag. Unfortunately wasn't a kill shot which I am a bit bummed about but thats hunting, right. Plenty of missed shots but was still a good time wandering the fields. Got to christen my new Svord and removed back straps and legs which are now sitting in the fridge ready to have for lunch tomorrow.

Name:  rabbit.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  662.2 KB
    Bol Tackshin, MB, Inder and 3 others like this.

Thats sweet as. You got food,you learnt plenty . its a successful days hunting. Whats the rifle like to shoot? Whats the svord like to use?
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Awesome, if you you didn't miss it wouldn't be air guning lol

Look up artillery hold (if you don't already use this) and you will be surprised how this technique improves your accuracy in the field. Also relax and take your time, anytime I miss is when I've rushed the shot.

Thats sweet as. You got food,you learnt plenty . its a successful days hunting. Whats the rifle like to shoot? Whats the svord like to use?
    To be honest the rifle leaves much to be desired. I'm not too sure if its me, the rifle or the pellets that are being used but I can't seem to get it to group consistently even when using a bench rest. I'd like to think I would have got more rabbits if I had a rimfire

The Svord is great. Made easy work of the meat

Quote Originally Posted by Billbob View Post
    Awesome, if you you didn't miss it wouldn't be air guning lol

Look up artillery hold (if you don't already use this) and you will be surprised how this technique improves your accuracy in the field. Also relax and take your time, anytime I miss is when I've rushed the shot.
    Yeah I gave the artillery hold a try which definitely helped with accuracy but still wasn't the most amazing shooting though.
    Billbob likes this.

Its a prick of technique to get right. Takes a lot of pratice. And a lot of watching your hold and analising it.
    Back to pellets, if your shooting from a rest (with your hand on the rest and the gun on your hand) taking your time, how tight are the groups? If all ya gun screws are evenly tightened and scope screws are tight,your holding the gun the same, groups are still bit wide may be the pellets. Sort out some pellets, checking them for damage try again. Still not great. Take the scope off try open sights ( air rifles are really hard on scopes)
    If accuracy doesnt improve try a differnt brand of pellets. Also get on web watch videos or read reviews on your gun. Dont worry to much about brand of pellet, but take note of how many grains the pellet is. Find out what the most common grain/weight pellet that gets good resaults and start at that weight of pellet.
    If you know anyone with a chronograph fire a few shots over that and make sure its not changing too much. There is the possiblity the seal on the piston or around the barrel/reciever may be deteriorated.
    Welcome to the world of air guns. Its a art unto itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    Yeah I gave the artillery hold a try which definitely helped with accuracy but still wasn't the most amazing shooting though.
    One more thing to check, remove the stock and check the breech cross bolt it tight, if there is any movement here can throw the accuracy out

If I shoot a hare,more hare than rabbits here.I hang em on the clothes line overnight and leg em and back strap the next day.
    Name:  picture 01 3426.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  164.2 KB
    Billbob, kruza and GdaRock like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Its a prick of technique to get right. Takes a lot of pratice. And a lot of watching your hold and analising it.
    Back to pellets, if your shooting from a rest (with your hand on the rest and the gun on your hand) taking your time, how tight are the groups? If all ya gun screws are evenly tightened and scope screws are tight,your holding the gun the same, groups are still bit wide may be the pellets. Sort out some pellets, checking them for damage try again. Still not great. Take the scope off try open sights ( air rifles are really hard on scopes)
    If accuracy doesnt improve try a differnt brand of pellets. Also get on web watch videos or read reviews on your gun. Dont worry to much about brand of pellet, but take note of how many grains the pellet is. Find out what the most common grain/weight pellet that gets good resaults and start at that weight of pellet.
    If you know anyone with a chronograph fire a few shots over that and make sure its not changing too much. There is the possiblity the seal on the piston or around the barrel/reciever may be deteriorated.
    Welcome to the world of air guns. Its a art unto itself.
    It was about a 100mm spread. And this was from 25 yards also. All bolts were tightened before use. It is a pretty old rifle so who knows what condition things were

MB
    Doesn't sound great, could well be the rifle. Time to go shopping

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Doesn't sound great, could well be the rifle. Time to go shopping
    Wasn't mine so oh well. I'm saving my funds for a proper .22

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    Wasn't mine so oh well. I'm saving my funds for a proper .22
    As in a rimfire?

undoubtedly. Air rifles are the only guns that are considered not proper guns. Higher powered springers are probly the worst thing to learn shooting with, as they are such finicky guns. .22lr really is a much better choice for starting out with in my view.