Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Hunting Schedule 5 animals with a slingshot

Name:  doves 1.jpeg
Views: 553
Size:  632.7 KB

These two were delicious.

Yeah, legislation about what animals are protected and what aren't. I looked it all up because I am new to hunting and didn't want to give the sport a bad name by killing the wrong thing in the wrong place without the right licence. Turns out rabbits are protected...who knew?
    doinit, canross and Noswal like this.

Dinner for Gucci.10 minuts out the back of my place,theres a few 20 rabbits about,but they are aware of me.So i walk in the dark shadows till i see one close by.Get within 10-15yds,if i cant get a head shot,i got for the back hip,they dont go anywhere and i knockn on the head.Try to get one every nigth.Name:  20210614_194249.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  910.2 KB
    doinit, Micky Duck and BeeMan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Dinner for Gucci.10 minuts out the back of my place,theres a few 20 rabbits about,but they are aware of me.So i walk in the dark shadows till i see one close by.Get within 10-15yds,if i cant get a head shot,i got for the back hip,they dont go anywhere and i knockn on the head.Try to get one every nigth.Attachment 170297
    Bloody priceless Trout..great team

FeralPhilosopher ..you obviously know how to use that slingshot,unreal considering the only thing I recall hitting with a shang-i (spelling ) as they were called was the neighbours window lol,I was in deep shit after that.
    Something totally different eh,,well done for sure.

Thats a happy cat Might have to find some rabbits around here then. I guess it is best after dark? I have tried for a few with the slingshot and a torch but kept missing, or the buggers ran off because of the light. Will try in the darkness next time. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    FeralPhilosopher ..you obviously know how to use that slingshot,unreal considering the only thing I recall hitting with a shang-i (spelling ) as they were called was the neighbours window lol,I was in deep shit after that.
    Something totally different eh,,well done for sure.
    Thanks mate It took a couple of months practise but they can sling 1/4oz lead balls close to 90 mps (approx 300kph!!). I would love to measure the speed I can get the 1/2 oz balls to, they really pack a punch. The fellas on the slingshot forum were pretty impressed too because the biggest thing most of them can get with a slingshot are squirrels (seeing how they are mostly in the US or UK)

Slingshots are fantastic - with the right bands and ~10mm lead projectiles you can get pass through on animals hare and possum sized - easily kill larger with head shots. They've really evolved in the UK because sport hunting for average blokes has been reduced to rats/pigeons/squirrels with slingshots so they've had to really get good with them.

Good on you FeralPhilosopher for actually digging through the rules and looking for the law and facts rather than going with "common" "knowledge". Odds are you've found that what is enforced is not really the same as what is the law.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Hunting any animal it needs to killed humanly.
    As for hunting Doc land i would say that would be a No but you would need to check. To easy for a person to start killing native birds
    The "could kill a bird" thing has always rubbed me the wrong way. It's already illegal to kill native birds... if someone doesn't care about breaking the law to kill a bird why would they follow the law on what they used to do it. It's like they think carrying a .22 or shotgun will suddenly cause people to go deranged and decide their purpose in life is to vaporize fantails. Don't think I've met anyone who would happily scare off all the game in a valley to blow away a bird for fun, and those that would are generally the kind of people who violate more laws on their way to buy booze on a Tuesday morning than most of us do in a lifetime.

I know I would certainly have shot a lot of hares and rabbits in my wanderings if I'd been allowed to bring a nice little suppressed .22 with me. Just can't be bothered getting a special permit from the local office for every new place I decide to try hunting, so the bunnies are free to gnaw the native plants in peace.
    mimms2 and XR500 like this.