Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: The little bunny that moved in..

No "pest" animal is inherently evil. They didn't ask to be brought here, they are just trying to feed their families.
    I'll kill them but I take no pleasure in it.
    The only "pest" I hate are wasps.
    I truly hate wasps.
    on2it, 257weatherby, viper and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I think that is true apart from possums. They seem to evoke visceral hatred in a lot of people, even non-hunters.
    I like possums. I shoot them, but I like 'em. Shooting is far nicer than the other methods employed.

Wild animals....It's all in the giving back. They all want to live.
    Sometimes you can get more enjoyment just watching and learning from them.

Mudgripz whats his / hers favourite food?
    woods223 likes this.

BT

Interesting post, I was reminded of a deer culler, that hung up his rifles! as he said he couldn't find it in himself to kill anymore.
    Maybe this is the journey of some. Hopefully with a shoulder and a bit of counselling this may subvert some to continue to kill.
    Still a half grown rabbit, a cat is no match unless caught off guard. I've seen one kick a cat like Andrew Mehrtens or Jackie Chan, 2 metres
    across a room. So no worries there.
    A friend of mine can't stop, it's become a fixation, he's obsessed.
    Some say shock treatment, but I am not a fan of a frontal lobotomy and shock treatment.
    for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.
    KH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Name:  4-1674778740554-874x1024.jpeg
Views: 298
Size:  69.7 KB
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

How the hell does he do it???

Yesterday - out the front of the house doing a little gardening midday and Lucky the bunny races past me, down side of house, and out towards shrubs and tree area he lives in round the back. Full speed. And right behind is a big black cat! Lucky had 5 meters on the cat! Walked around the back, banged on a few bits and pieces to flush cat but all is silent. I thought - that's it Lucky - RIP. No chance you can escape that. Bunny heaven.

Today - few minutes ago I'm having lunch and up hops Lucky, heads to his favourite flax seed bush outside rear sliding doors, looks at me, then settles in for lunch. What the...!!! How the hell does this little bloke survive - there are no bunny holes here but somehow but he manages to evade these hungry cats. Unbelievably resilient. This reminded me - and many will know this - it is very common for bunnies to choose to live near/under houses/tractor sheds/woolsheds etc on the farm where there are heaps of passing cats and dogs, and yet they survive. In fact they can be the hardest to shoot.

I may have to think of a new name for him - Superlucky perhaps. But it ain't all luck - he's one smart little animal. Interesting survival skills here..
    Last edited by mudgripz; 08-02-2023 at 02:00 PM.
    7mmsaum, erniec, 6x47 and 5 others like this.

Your right about the bunny that lives buy farm buildings, often a resident hind will live close to a hut, both get real cunning. I once had a vandetta with rabbit, I tried early morning, last light everything stalking, crawling to get close with 22, got beatern so many times, it was getting personal,so borrowed a mates 222 that did it from 300y, always rememeber that bunny.
    mudgripz, Micky Duck and kruza like this.

I was a security officer,night shift for some months over at Lytelton,while they were putting together stuff to install the new sewer pipeline out to sea,off New Brighton.Could be lonely at times but several rabbits became talk buddies. I would walk past them--maybe 3-4--within 3 feet of them and they would sometimes hop along with me,sometimes run under the prefab buildings where they lived,sometimes round the corner out onto the rugby paddock where they dined I guess. Tried to talk with them,get their view on the state of the world.
    mudgripz and Micky Duck like this.

Lucky popped in to his favourite lunch caf yesterday - its called the flax bush. And he's just out the kitchen window having breakfast this morning. Doing well - 2/3rds grown now, looks in good nick, hyper alert, always watching with that 300? degree eye vision. Even as I sit with morning coffee planning next team trip to Tekapo to massacre hundreds of his relatives he seems completely unworried! Obviously at home. His place. Nice that he tolerates me on the property..

Practicing my brief whistles/calls with him - the ones that often stop his relatives when running in the field for that 2-3 seconds pause. Not their best idea..

And he has another challenge coming up as he eats a few weeds from area out the back where the chook house and woodshed were recently removed. This afternoon that spot gets a dose of roundup which will not improve his wellbeing. Can be toxic for 7 days it appears. Hope he dines somewhere else for a while - have got quite used to the little bloke!

Lucky bunny update plz ?

Name:  IMG_0204.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  395.0 KB
    Sometimes their just fun to watch.

Nice pic Tedz. Lucky is doing well. Well established now on this urban section and thriving. Now 3/4 size and happy to come and have his breakfast while mudz practices whistles and calls at him and talks to him from the lounge.

Both my sons are very competent shooters so am teaching the next generation of hunters now. My 3 and 5 year old grandies always asking to see latest cellphone movie, and when they're here we sneak the door open, and they practice very quietly stalking round the back, moving from cover so they can watch him. Lucky doesn't seem to mind too much..

Will pop up a vid when I figure out youtube.

Lucky growing up now - runs the 1000m2 section like its his place! Pleased to see the little bloke/blokette survived recent roundup poisoning on some few weeds he liked to snack on..

Name:  20230224_154014.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  3.72 MB

Still blissfully unaware that friendly housemate smiling at him is in fact a serial bunny killer. Most times! Knows he's safe..
    Last edited by mudgripz; 05-03-2023 at 07:54 PM.
    veitnamcam, 308, 6x47 and 3 others like this.

Well I like that...

Out for a walk under trees on the section tonight and there's a wee skitter noise beside me. Look down and there's Lucky - sitting quietly, out from cover, ears up, and watching me from just 2.5 meters. Seemed at ease, so we had a little chat for a minute or two. Told him he was safe etc, then walked quietly off to leave him to his business. Little bloke getting quite tame. Knows his threats and apparently this killer grandad is not one of them Cute!

The irony is...went back into house after chatting with Lucky, then sat down to check forecasts and chat with boys as I plan this saturday night's shoot. This weekend's local chch site does not have the huge numbers of Tekapo, but come saturday evening we'll still bowl 50 of bunny's little relatives. Critical for the farms, the new crops.

Really is one Lucky little character! (chuckle..)!
    Last edited by mudgripz; 08-03-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    dannyb and Shamus_ like this.