Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Recommended air rifle & scope for possum / rabbits

Recommended air rifle & scope for possum / rabbits

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing an air rifle for small game - nothing bigger than a possum. It's not going to be used a lot, only for things that venture onto our small lifestyle block.
    All up don't really want to spend more than 1k, and this needs to include a scope as well.

I've seen some mixed feedback on the Cometa Fusion - I see there are two variations at airguns.co.nz - the .22 @ $599 and the .177 MK LL @ $649. I assume the .22 is better for possums?

There's also a Sig Sauer ASP20 .177 on Trademe for $850, second hand, would also need to arrange shipping. This will be pushing the budget when including a scope,but can potentially stretch the budget a bit, if it's far better than the Cometa Fusion.

Keen to hear any thoughts / suggestions.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ssories-90626/
    Message me if thats of any interest

Thanks, but not looking at a Gamo rifle currently

Head here.
    Its the kiwi air gunners forum.
    You will find reviews on the sig and other airguns.
    There are also scope reviews some which are getting good positive feedback and don't cost the earth.
    Air guns are really hard on scopes so I would recommend reading these.
    I own a sig asp 20 in 177,though I'm actually not a fan of the caliber, I love this gun.
    Anyway if you head over you'll find a lot of info there.
    Reviews - Kiwi Airgunners Forum - Page 1
    kotuku, Billbob and OGM like this.

Hmm. From what I read Gamo air rifles aren't great. Is that not the case?

Ppl have prefrance. Gamo is not an air rifle that I would recommend for the price.
    They tend to have a lot a of power, but this comes at the cost of more recoil. Unlike a cartridge rifle, spring and gas ram air rifles recoil forward and backwards, with this all happening before the pellet has left the barrel. This makes them incredibly hold sensitive. The more kick more hold sensitive as a rule.
    Gamos tend to be very light rifles which is great for carrying around hunting but not for barrel lift/accuracy. The build quality is average.
    There are other brands around that will offer better options for the price.
    Having said this certain models will preform pretty well and indeed there are ppl out there who swear by them
    A lot of critters have died from Gamos.
    The sig is by far a better choice than gamo and around the same price as a new gamo. It is more accurate, plenty of power, less hold sensitive (it's heavier) very well built.
    The sig is no longer built but seals can still be got.
    A under or side lever is going to be more accurate than a break barrel in general. Gamo do make one of these, which I would consider if you went that route. (would need to check the fpe)
    The sig has a patented locking system on its break barrel which address this problem.
    Other brands have multi shot systems. My gamo (which I gave away in the end, didn't feel right to sell it) was damaging pellets as it feed them. This may have just been my gun. There are advantages to mag feed air rifles, but if its for possums, single shot isn't an issue.
    GAMO after market service from Vaughan in Upper hut was excellent. I had a barrel replaced ( tooling groove cutting through the rifling) and they offered to replace the mag, but I just took the mag off went single shot.
    I'm relatively new back into air rifles. I brought the gamo as it all looked and sounded great but after a month or two brought a tx200 because I was so annoyed with all the hassel I was having with it. There is no comparison and I wouldn't spend my money on a gamo again prefurring the extra few hundred for top line gun.
    This is my view (though shared by many). Will a gamo do the job? Yes. Are there better options around for equiventlent money? Plenty.
    Josan and Billbob like this.

I also have dealt with Dave at airgunsnz. He is one of ppl I recommend, and still use. I will be buying my next air rifle off him (would have by now if flooding hadn't stuffed me up) and get my pellets off him.
    He knows his stuff and is very knowledgeable. If you haven't, talk to him. He suggested the same rifle to me that you are looking at, for small critter hunting and I have no dought it would have been great. I had the extra cash and decided the tx200 would be worth the extra and got that instead off him.
    Billbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kruza View Post
    I also have dealt with Dave at airgunsnz. He is one of ppl I recommend, and still use. I will be buying my next air rifle off him (would have by now if flooding hadn't stuffed me up) and get my pellets off him.
    He knows his stuff and is very knowledgeable. If you haven't, talk to him. He suggested the same rifle to me that you are looking at, for small critter hunting and I have no dought it would have been great. I had the extra cash and decided the tx200 would be worth the extra and got that instead off him.
    Thanks, I have submitted a form enquiry on his website.
    Can I ask how much the TX200 cost? I can't see the price on the website, maybe it's out of stock.

I have a .22 Fx Cyclone PCP that at the right place might come out of my safe. pm me if interested

Think it was about 1200 for gun and the scope hawk 4-12x42ao was about the price of the gun your looking at.
    Tx200 is awsome gun, never regret having brought it. It showed me what an air rifle can be. However it had 2 issues for me which was weight when hunting all day. Second was just how nice the stock was and the bluing, I hated taking it through the rough stuff and scratching it up.
    Swapped it for the sig asp20. No regret on that front as sig is a gun that handels the rough without damage. (synthetic stock and has a coating that handels the scratching to barrel. It's not a bluing) still way up there in quality. Scope stayed with me and is on the sig. Would have preferred 22 version but didn't want to miss the opertunity.

I have Gamo Gen 2 (0.22) but have stopped using it.
    Maybe others have different experiences but from my experience,
    I need at least a couple (sometimes more) of headshot to really kill the possum,
    not a nice view when you see an animal suffer (not dead) after 1st headshot.

I opted for the .25 cal air rifle for possums, felt it was abit more humane over the .22
    Billbob likes this.

I've had an Airarms TX200 , Prosport and an HW90 . All were excellent and all are capable of around 16ft/lb of energy . Obviously , over here , we're limited to sub 12ft/lb muzzle energy unless they are on our FAC .
    Of the 3 my favourite was the Prosport , shot beautifully smooth , accurate and well balanced .

I also had an Airarms S410 , light and accurate . If I've got this right , any pcp has to go on an FAC in NZ .
    It's been some time since I've owned an airrifle of any sort , but have just ordered a Kral Pro 500 , very budget friendly.
    MB and Cordite like this.

Any pcp rifle has to be on a fal.
    Pcp pistols don't.
    Cordite and PipIstrelle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kruza View Post
    Think it was about 1200 for gun and the scope hawk 4-12x42ao was about the price of the gun your looking at.
    Tx200 is awsome gun, never regret having brought it. It showed me what an air rifle can be. However it had 2 issues for me which was weight when hunting all day. Second was just how nice the stock was and the bluing, I hated taking it through the rough stuff and scratching it up..........
    Fully agree. The TX200 and Weihrauch 97k are two of the most accurate springers. Walther LGU is another fine underlever airgun. Generally the underlevers are more accurate than the breakbarrels and they also have some more weight up front which helps with hold sensitivity. Some say 177 for feather and 22 for fur, but definite advantage of the 177 is speed giving flat trajectory (less critical with range estimation) and high penetration. On possums shot placement will be critical.\
    As a fail safe option for springers i would recommend Hawke scopes. They are very robust, reasonably priced and have a lifetime warranty. I never had one fail on a springer.
    kruza likes this.