Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Need some opinions on a couple of guns

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    With mine I just did the trigger return spring and that probably took it down from 6lb to 2lb. Didn't even bother with the sear spring. Did the old bang, thump, slap test to make sure it was all good afterwards.
    Nah I hadnt planned on it either but wanted a little more after the trigger spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Nah I hadnt planned on it either but wanted a little more after the trigger spring.
    I was planning on the sear spring but decided it was just right as it was. The Marlins are very good value for money in both bolt and semi.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    I concur with Spudattack ... be patient and get a Brno/CZ secondhand. I've never owned one by my mates have and they are very accurate and reliable. Save up your pennies and get a Brno/CZ. You will never regret it. Remember - it is an investment which you will have for life ... cheers Gunzrrr

IMO what you get from the extra cost of a CZ isn't necessarily any improvement in accuracy or reliability, its fit+finish and perceived 'niceness'. How much that matters is down to personal taste.
    mudgripz, gadgetman and Nick-D like this.

I would agree with gravelben on this.

As a rimfire hobbyist I like buying/testing the full range of sporter 22s. I like the CZs - darn good rifles - but they are not the only good option. There are many very efficient hunter 22s which do the job well, and from testing a huge number on the range I can confirm many makes/models will match and/or outshoot the CZs on the bench.

Marlin 925/980SS great wee workers - especially chopped. Toz 78, Savage, Norinco, Zastava all capable - especially when you spend an hour or two to finesse action/trigger. And crazy as it may seem one of my favourite wee hunters for precision accuracy and ideal size/weight balance is a 16" chopped and action polished Norinco JW15 shorty. We've done maybe 15-20 JW15 action/barrel jobs on them now and almost all will pop under 0.5" at best at 50m. Deadly wee units with ideal size for truck or field.

This is a Marlin 925 somebody has on trademe. Good sound wee rifle and very accurate - my last one touched 0.3"s for 5 shot groups at 50m. Its one example of an inexpensive setup ideal for for people wanting to get into bunny shooting:

Marlin 925 22lr + Leupold QRW Rings! | Trade Me

Models/makes of common sporters that have performed well for me on the bench:

* Norinco EM332 - champ at longer ranges with best four group average of 0.6" at 100m.
    * JW15 - usually sub half inch at 50m and occasionally into the 0.3"s. A chop to 16" and polished action makes the ideal hunter
    * CZ/Brno - very nice units with no real weaknesses,. Good value at $500 or so secondhand as noted above. Usually 0.4s at 50m.
    * Marlin 60 semiautos - best of the semiautos - several shooting down to 1/4" groups at 50 and averaqing close to that. DLs and DLXs lovely wee rifles.
    * Marlin 925/980 bolt action - sound, basic, reliable, feed well, quite well made and v accurate - down to 0.3" at 50m.
    * Ruger model 96 lever - best of the 10/22 variants. No weaknesses - great wee hunter - 0.7s at 50m.
    * Toz 78 - good value package with the 4 mags etc. Benefits from an hour or to polishing. Good sound unit for NZ conditions. 0.7s.
    * Savage Mk 2 - basic, quite good accuracy, good trigger, mine popped 0.7 at 50m
    * Marlin 795 - basic, sound, benefits from a little polishing to action and trigger. Very accurate and reliable with right ammos and cleaning regimen. 0.4s at 50m. Marlins have very good rimfire barrels.
    * Winchester 94/22 - mmmmmmmmmm.....

I can vouch for the jw15, I bought it for my son to use as I had a 10/22. It turned out to be a brilliant gun and I ended up selling the ruger as I want using it, always grabbed the norinco. Its the shortened one with over barrel suppressor so lite, short and quiet.

Sent from my work bench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Same on the chinky JW15, got one off Tard me for $200....shortened to 16", 4 x 32 scope and a suppressor.......deal of the century.......also helps to get a 2nd hand one as the 'safety' is easier to use!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

i bought mine when the over barrel suppressed ones were new onto the market, was $450 new from memory. I saw one in the local shop last week, was priced at $750 so they have worked out how good they are and upped the price i reckon.
    Scouser likes this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

I have a Norinco JW15 and cannot fault it. $350.00 new with scope, suppressor and gun bag. Mine shoots good groups all day long.
    Just added a scope and suppressor to my boys Savage rascal .22, should make it easier on the ears as it has a bark with the short barrel.
    My favourite is my CZ452 Suppressed American Varmint .22, shoots bunnies a long way off.

cheers LR

Name:  P2270006.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  406.7 KBName:  Shooting20110821_01_19.JPG
Views: 666
Size:  465.2 KBName:  Shooting20110821_01_02.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  421.3 KB
    Last edited by Land Rover; 19-09-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    mikee likes this.

Yep. Tweaked jw15 is easy. And bunnies out to 160m in summer not impossible even with 22lr.

mudgripz, Frosty, grunzter and 1 others like this.