Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New Zealands big Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Not dismissing the ocelot ! But have a theory on large black cats . I used to do a lot of pig hunting , most pigs where gey in colour ,andOne out of Ten would be black . When we got multiple pigs the black pigs always appeared bigger , even too an experienced eye . When the pigs where put side by side the black pigs where no bigger just looked bigger . In open country black sticks out like dogs balls and they appear bigger . Anyone else experience this
    I once read an article about the Canterbury Panther or Big Cat or whatever it was called, but you know what I'm talking about. The writer said that when domesticated cats became feral, within a few generations, they usually became black in colour. This is by natural selection because the black cats made better hunters, due to being hidden in the dark. The writer also said that they tended to become larger too, for the same reasons. Perhaps part of the reason whenever someone sees the "Canterbury Panther" and thinks its huge is because it is some black feral cat and that colour, like you said, makes it seem larger. Along with the fact that they are probably a bit bigger than a domesticated cat would be (but still no where near the size of a Panther".
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    I once read an article about the Canterbury Panther or Big Cat or whatever it was called, but you know what I'm talking about. The writer said that when domesticated cats became feral, within a few generations, they usually became black in colour. This is by natural selection because the black cats made better hunters, due to being hidden in the dark. The writer also said that they tended to become larger too, for the same reasons. Perhaps part of the reason whenever someone sees the "Canterbury Panther" and thinks its huge is because it is some black feral cat and that colour, like you said, makes it seem larger. Along with the fact that they are probably a bit bigger than a domesticated cat would be (but still no where near the size of a Panther".
    Thanks for that , makes sence
    Talis likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    To behonest, I think that writer is full of it if that's what he says," that a black cat hunts better in the dark" LMFAO right there!!!
    Gotta say that all the ferals I have shot in South Canterbury have been small, runty and riddled with worms...............
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    To behonest, I think that writer is full of it if that's what he says," that a black cat hunts better in the dark" LMFAO right there!!!
    Gotta say that all the ferals I have shot in South Canterbury have been small, runty and riddled with worms...............
    Haha you're probably right. He didn't use those exact words, I can't quite remember what he said exactly to be honest, I was skim reading it in NZ Nat Geo while waiting for my burger. Seems like he was on the money about the feral cats being bigger than the domesticated ones, though.
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Tipped the scales at 10kgI think size is very heavily selected for in the wild, which makes sense, with no large predators its a huge empty niche. In the near future, if it hasn't already happened, they will stop interbreeding with domestic cats and we will have our own big cat.
    Looks like you may need a bigger gun , that's a beauty .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Wow thats awsome!!
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Tussock
    I think that one puts you into 1st place.
    John

Tipped the scales at 10kg

I think size is very heavily selected for in the wild, which makes sense, with no large predators its a huge empty niche. In the near future, if it hasn't already happened, they will stop interbreeding with domestic cats and we will have our own big cat.
    Mmmmm nice pussy
    TV reporter says ''nice pussy'' - YouTube
    Yeah nah bro

P38

Tipped the scales at 10kg

I think size is very heavily selected for in the wild, which makes sense, with no large predators its a huge empty niche. In the near future, if it hasn't already happened, they will stop interbreeding with domestic cats and we will have our own big cat.
    Awesome Cat Tussock.

Gareth would be impressed thats for sure.

What did the back steaks weigh in at?

Cheers
    Pete

Waiting for Toby too say did you eat it
    Spanners and 7mmsaum like this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Did you eat it?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Did you eat it?
    You dont want to eat those really big hairy pussys Toby, Look for the smaller hairless variety
    Littledog likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You dont want to eat those really big hairy pussys Toby, Look for the smaller hairless variety
    I was waiting for that
    VIVA LA HOWA

The Brazilians or the Agentinians have good pussies too.From what i've seen.
    CFD

I think the Brazilian ones are the better looking of the two?
    Bulltahr and Dundee like this.