Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Pukeko legal or not?

Telecomus swamphenous

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    No Mynahs in Nelson? It truley is the promised land!
    The black and white cunning buggers only really arrived 5-10 years ago too, seamed to have worked their way up the wairou to nelson lakes from blen and back down to here.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Worth starting a givealittle fund to set every kid between ages 8 and 14 with a .177 meteor and two boxes of pellets.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Worth starting a givealittle fund to set every kid between ages 8 and 14 with a .177 meteor and two boxes of pellets.
    Is that a question or a statement Tommy?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Is that a question or a statement Tommy?
    Statement. they piss me off whenever I go to the islands too (the pacific-y ones)

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I was pretty sure Pukeko's are not native to NZ , I knew they were in Papua New Guinea and Oz but not sure where they originated or how they got wherever , Copied this of the net

Australasian swamphen (Porphyrio melanotus) is a species of swamphen occurring in eastern Indonesia, the Moluccas, Aru and Kai Islands, as well as in Papua New Guinea and Australia. It is also found in New Zealand where it is known as the Pūkeko, derived from the Māori language. The Australasian swamphen previously was considered a subspecies of the purple swamphen.
    Pukeko's are native, they got here themselves. They might not be endemic (only found in NZ) though
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks for that VC.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Geez you're a hard man Rushy.
    I would be even harder if I had a hold of either of them. Harder still if I had hold of both.
    Tommy likes this.

Pukes seem to have a bad rep - I saw a pic of one flying with a duckling - but I have never seen them put a foot wrong - I reckon they are a lovely bird
    Plenty of them on the estuary down the end of our street so I watch them a lot while walking the dog
    Parries and Canadas don’t seem to care about them even when they have ducklings a few days old - the pukes never worry the young ducklings
    Stilts seem to be a bit aggressive at present - but maybe they have chicks nearby
    Maybe you have to take them as you find them but why shoot them for the sake of what someone else said

this looks fairly peaceful and that Puke walked right past that Parrie with her young

Tahr likes this.

I hate them because they came onto my property and killed 12 chicks while mother hen tried to chase it off. Since them I have hunted them consistently around my house and surrounding property and they have mostly all moved on

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    I am having trouble with Puk's eating our chook eggs and even a few chicks. I made a fenced run for the chooks but the puks still get in. Is it legal to shoot the Puks without a game bird license? I tried searching the net but I got conflicting answers.

Anyone know?
    Cheers.
    My neighbours have a reserve of some sort, thier pukes keep coming over to my duckpond and killed of my duck chicks, i got 5 of them the other flew off, see them occaisoianly but they take off real quick. Now im dealing to the hawks as they have got the nesting adults

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    My neighbours have a reserve of some sort, thier pukes keep coming over to my duckpond and killed of my duck chicks, i got 5 of them the other flew off, see them occaisoianly but they take off real quick. Now im dealing to the hawks as they have got the nesting adults
    I think you need to read the rules around killing harrier
    Quote Originally Posted by Expert
    It is important to realize that you cannot simply take measures to reduce harrier populations to protect wild, free ranging gamebirds, (whether hand - raised or not), such as pheasants, quail, mallard or other game ducks, pukekos etc. To protect any of these, you still need a DoC permit.
    http://hunting.fishandgame.org.nz/si...s%20change.pdf
    Kscott likes this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Australasian harrier (Circus approximans)
    The Australasian harrier is listed on Schedule 2 as partially protected wildlife, which
    means the occupier of any land (or someone with the occupier’s authority) may
    hunt or kill harriers on that land if the birds are causing injury or damage to property.
    This species was moved from Schedule 5 (unprotected) to Schedule 2 in 1986. It is
    a native species (found also in other countries) whose range has extended greatly in
    New Zealand since European settlement, but whose population has declined since
    the 1950s.
    In 1996, a Department of Conservation report 4 recommended that the protection
    status of the Australasian harrier be reviewed and that it be given full protection. The
    report emphasised the harrier’s importance to New Zealand’s environment and to the
    general ecological welfare of ecosystems they live in. The majority of bird species it
    preys on are introduced species.
    In particular the report argued that:
    • There is little evidence that harriers kill live lambs or ewes (the reason for listing them
    on Schedule 2) but rather they are known to take or feed on carcases immediately
    after death (i.e., still-born or dead young lambs).
    • Although harriers prey on small birds and mammals there are few reports of their
    killing protected native birds, game birds or lizards because the majority of their
    terrain is open country or intensively-developed farmland.
    • They are useful scavengers and will often take car-killed animals and carrion.
    They assist in the control of rodents and birds impacting on orchards and vineyards,
    particularly introduced starlings and blackbirds.

The Australasian harrier is classified as “not threatened” as overseas populations are
    secure.

They assist in the control...of birds impacting on orchards and vineyards...they are harassed by magpies, spur fecking wing fecking plovers...I have never seen Harriers controlling starlings or blackbirds in the vineyard...they do rattle the chain of the waxeyes, which is probably the worst bird in the vineyard...unlike the blackbird and thrush who will take the single berry from a bunch, the waxeye assists in the spread of botrytis and other fungi as they pierce the skin of the berry to extract the juice...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

what ever you do, dont "educate them" by doing nasty things to them in cages so they dont come back

this is animal abuse not pest control and will be treated as such by the greenies and animal rights peops

shoot the buggers with a shotgun, if you are the land owner or manager it is ok for you(but only you) to shoot on the property during duck season without a licence
    you need to follow all the rules regarding game bird shooting like not using the .22 or 308 and its all legit