Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 15 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 7 Post By 30.06king
  • 5 Post By 30.06king

Thread: Ruger Walkabout

Ruger Walkabout

After waiting all week finally got a fine (ish ) morning to take the little Ruger .243W out on a walk looking for Rabbits and Hares. Left home a bit later than I wanted to but it was a blustery and overcast morning and I haven't troubled the varmints there for a few weeks so guessed they might still be out feeding. Sure enough, several were but the wind make them jittery and a couple or three busted away as I sneaked in. But not far on, around a corner I spied a Rabbit sitting in the open. 154 yds is quite doable for the Ruger and a headshot was executed. Nice. Next I spooked another pair away ( bugger ) so carried on and sneaked into about 20 yards of a feeding Hare before it spied me just as I was squeezing the trigger and got clean away. The next Rabbit had no idea I was there. Sitting at the burrow entrance I'm sure it's eyes were closed. 142 yards, slightly uphill. Bang, and down. Last one was a feeding Hare that was hard to keep up with. It would take a mouthful and hop, mouthful and hop etc. etc and I shifted several times to keep the scope on it. I sort of kept slight tension on the trigger and next time it stopped broadside I neck shot it. 47 yards, good job. I love shooting those Hornady VMax 87 gn bullets. Accurate as anything and they open explosively. Not much ever survives a hit. After seeing the varmints I did I need to get back there again, soon.

Barefoot, Trout, Shearer and 12 others like this.

Way to go. As micky Duck would say, yummy

Good job, south paw wins again. \

.243 is a competent cartridge. Your rifle is nice and clean too.
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Way to go. As micky Duck would say, yummy
    Backstraps and drumsticks you reckon
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

Good shooting and nice tasty drum sticks.

Nice shooting..Violent hits. What load? velocity?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Nice shooting..Violent hits. What load? velocity?
    This is the current load:

upload a picture
    AdamAnt likes this.

Out again yesterday morning, early.
    Warm and humid but, again, blustery. Surprised I saw no Rabbits at all despite evidence they'd been active overnight. Kept walking over the back and peeking over a knob ahead saw Magpies digging around in a small patch of exposed soil. They immediately took flight and I though I'd spooked them. But no, they struggled momentarily against the stiff breeze then landed in front of me at only 92 yards. Plenty of time to set up what should have been a chip shot. Steady squeeze, and clean missed ! I was annoyed with myself. But, clouds and silver linings etc... two Hares that had been concealed in a small dip sprang up and ran, heading for a deep gully. I took off around the lip of the gully hoping to catch them going up over the end. I saw them and one stopped just before going over. I flopped down and lined up but the Hare took off again, heading into the next gully. I raced forward in time to see it turn sharply left up out of the gully. I had the open ground in front of me so went prone and waited. Sure enough up came the Hare and stopped , looking back. Big mistake. The shoulder shot took him clean almost amputating the foreleg on the exit side. I lasered the distance, 109 yds.
    I never saw the second Hare again. Looked around with binos for several minutes but no joy. Oh well, one Hare. I'll take it.

AdamAnt likes this.

The forecast for 01 November looked good and a quick txt to the farmer got me permission to arrive early and walk the farm. Low cloud and very slight drizzle during the drive there in darkness looked ominous but eventually came to nothing. I parked the truck, grabbed the Ruger and 8 rounds and hoofed it to a small rise where I sat waiting for the dawn light to brighten enough to allow glassing. Spent probably 15 minutes glassing around, seeing nothing, which surprised me. I cut across a fence and paddock into the top of a deep gully and carefully emerged again over the top with a big, regrassed paddock before me. Up with the binos and Aha ! - a feeding Hare just through the fence about 140 yds out. Got the scope lined up then looked up, seeing a neighbour's house on the hill behind right in line of the firing direction. Damn ! Backed off, moved left to get a safe angle and this time the Hare saw me setting up and decided to amble off, picking up the unseen mate and they both romped over the next rise and out of sight. I was a bit deflated with this disappointing start but followed up hoping to see either again but no joy.
    By now I was above a big, deep gully. Over the top of the opposite side is an old established Rabbit warren where it's unusual to not see Rabbits about and I decided to check it out. I dropped down into then clambered up the steep gully, reaching a point on the fenceline where most of the warren can be viewed. There is a small gully there too and the binos found two Rabbits grazing on my side of this gully. 138 yds. Shot the first one and got the satisfying "whop" of the hit. The second Rabbit scarpered, then stopped and sat bolt upright. Maybe about 160 yds I thought. Bang, and missed ! This time the Rabbit escaped out of sight.

I remained several minutes at my post, watching with the binos. Sometimes it pays off as it did today. Two youngsters popped up out of the grass and sat at burrow entrances, probably unsure of the danger. 170 yds. I made doubly sure I was steady as these targets were very small. The first shot was true and was quickly followed by the second shot, also true. Happy with that I unloaded and walked over and retrieved all three kills.

By now I was appreciating how nice the morning was. The sun was out, wind was very light and temps comfortable. Background sounds of crowing cock pheasant, paradise ducks and magpies were pleasing to the ear.
    The farm is divided by a public road. Over the road is an old Rabbit hotspot. I headed that way and was surprised to not find any Rabbits on such a nice morning. I remembered a small gully over the next little rise where Hares had escaped me a couple of times. As it was close it was worth a quick look en route back to the truck. Binos up and happy days. There's a Hare grazing the long grass right in the belly of the gully. Lasered at 150 yds. He moved around a little and I probably rushed the first shot unnecessarily but it sounded like a hit. But the Hare was sitting upright now so a second shot was sent. Damn - missed, again ! What the heck did I do wrong ? The Hare legged it away from the loud bang source but stopped and sat up, looking back. Determined to do it right this time I squeezed off the 170 yd shot extra carefully. Thank goodness it connected at last and I could claim success in the gully.

I walked one of the internal farm tracks heading back to the truck. The farmer who had finished milking came over on his bike to say g'day and we chatted amiably for a few minutes. He was pleased to see the Rabbits and Hare I carried. He is a great guy keen on shooting too so conversation comes naturally. It was a great morning to be out but then, most mornings out there with a rifle are good.
    It took 7 rounds for 4 kills this time. A good thing I grabbed enough ammo. I pulled several shots for sure which is unusual for me but there is a lesson there. I'll remember to shoot with more care next time.
    Last edited by 30.06king; 03-11-2023 at 12:30 PM.
    erniec, short swede, flock and 4 others like this.

I hadn't had the Ruger out since early November and was feeling the need. Got permission for this morning, blustery, mercifully cool and overcast. Wasn't sure of what I would find and wasn't overly worried about finding nil as I was simply happy to be walking and looking with the Ruger in hand. I had prior knowledge of one spot where I had noted fresh Rabbit scratchings now and then. Had actually seen this bunny two or three times as it scattered from my approach. I stalked in on the zone slowly and attentively but wasn't seeing anything. The farmer had cut and baled alfalfa only yesterday and I came in from behind one bale to conceal myself more. Finally, close the the fence and the forestry behind I thought I glimpsed something. Binos up, and yes, a pair of ears in the grass. I think bunny knew I was out there but more than 100 yards away it wasn't panicking, yet. The bale enabled me to close to 97 yards and set up gently on the bipod. It was a perfectly steady shot. The 87 gn Vmax is always destructive and took off the offside shoulder completely. Bunny died before falling flat.

The next hour or so was unproductive, surprisingly, as I covered areas where usually Rabbits are seen. Last night the moon was bright so maybe they fed late and were out only briefly this morning. Didn't see any Hares either. Was almost back at the truck when I remembered a small warm pocket that catches morning sun where I have picked off the odd bunny or two. There's usually a warren there too but not permanently occupied. Worth a look anyway. My glance over it was almost too casual and I didn't see anything at first. I was about to turn away but thought I should give a quick once over with the binos. Whoa ! A young bunny at the base of an old tree stump. Only 75 yards from another steady rest on the bipod. Bunny had no clue I was there. The young doe was facing away. I held right on the neck / shoulder junction which is what the Vmax hit. There was only a thin strip of skin keeping the head attached to the body.

Then it was time to head back. Time was not my friend today but it leaves other spots to revisit, hopefully sometime in the near future.

What would be the best .22LR semi ?

Savage A22 or Ruger 10-22 ?